Medusa Nozzles

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce

Reaction score
What are the advantages of the multi throat Medusa nozzles for rocket motors?

On the surface, it would seem like more throats would complicate the nozzle design and make it weaker / heavier.

I saw that the old "Tiny Tim" motors used a medusa nozzle. Here's a picture from:

https://wiki.warthunder.com/Tiny_Tim

Tiny_Tim_view_of_rocketmotor.png

My understanding is that it's a manufacturing thing - it reduces the number of nozzle molds needed. Just produce a bunch of Medusa nozzles and drill as many throats as you need to get the throat area needed by the motor instead of manufacturing a bunch of different nozzles.

Are you talking about right at the exit plane of the nozzle? Again, I doubt it because the exit area of a single-throat nozzle is going to be just about as wide as the medusa nozzle. Depending on the specific geometry of the nozzle the medusa might be a little bigger, but I doubt it would really be noticeable.
The area is the same, I'm just talking about the spacing between the throats.

What are the advantages of the multi throat Medusa nozzles for rocket motors?

On the surface, it would seem like more throats would complicate the nozzle design and make it weaker / heavier.

I saw that the old "Tiny Tim" motors used a medusa nozzle. Here's a picture from:

https://wiki.warthunder.com/Tiny_Tim

View attachment 452297

The tiny tim was a all surface burn motor if I recall . All but the center hole was open . The center was a burst disk in case of over pressurization . It was the booster stage of the Wac Corporal , and burnt out before it left the 100 foot tower.

Medusa nozzles were shorter than the single throat nozzle for motors 54 mm and up.
For Rx motors, I like Medusa nozzles. For 54 mm:
Determine Kn you want to operate the motor at. Calculate single throat nozzle size.
If under around 3/8",use small hole closure and 29 mm nozzle. (Not an option for 75 and 98 mm motors)
If under about 9/16" use 1/2 the area in the center and the rest spread among 3 outer throats.
Otherwise, use 1/3 the area in the center and the rest spread among the other 6 throats.
I haven't experimented with 2 or 4 outer throats or just outer throats with center throat holding the rod in a rod and core burner.

Latest posts

Back