Media management issues and questions

Discussion in 'Rocketry Forum Feedback & Announcements' started by neil_w, Mar 4, 2019.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Mar 4, 2019 #1

neil_w

neil_w

neil_w

Perpetually waiting for good painting weather TRF Supporter

I have a couple of albums that I was trying to clean up a bit. The tools provided are really poor.

1) Is there any way to update an image? I can't find any. Failing that, my only choice is to delete and upload a new one, which in many cases means copying the description and all that. Seems like a waste. Again, I'm not talking about the crop tools and such, but the ability to upload a new version of an image.

2) Is there even a way to delete an image? Should be obvious but I can't find it. I guess in theory I could create a "Trash" album, and move unwanted images there, but come on.

3) In the album view, each image is shown cropped to a square. This is pretty lousy for images of rockets; what you often get is a zoom-in of the middle of the rocket, which looks like garbage. Example:
    upload_2019-3-4_11-3-35.png

I see there is a way to upload a separate thumbnail for each image but there's no reason I should need to expend that extra effort. Simply, the generated thumbnail in the album view should show the entire image, shrunk down to fit in whatever area is available.

My alternative is either to upload my own thumbnail for each image (twice the work), or pad each image into a square, so the thumbnail will look good. Also more work. That's why I wanted to update some of the images.

2. Mar 6, 2019 #2

Angie

Angie

Angie

Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Mod

Thanks for all this information. I do need to do some work on the Media section. Hopefully I can look into each of the points you bring up this evening.

3. Mar 6, 2019 #3

neil_w

neil_w

neil_w

Thanks. For now, I have indeed uploaded a separate, square thumbnail for each of my images. I look forward to not needing to that in the future maybe. And I created a private album called "Trash" that I move images to in order to "delete" them. Also hopefully temporary.

Finally, I've been unable to find a way to modify the name or the description for each image. That would be helpful as well.

4. Mar 6, 2019 #4

Angie

Angie

Angie

Thanks Neil. I'll refer to this thread when I'm tweaking.

5. Mar 7, 2019 #5

Angie

Angie

Angie

Neil, I've done some work on the MEDIA area tonight. Can you give it a try out and then let me know what you think.

6. Mar 7, 2019 #6

neil_w

neil_w

neil_w

Hi Angie,
    The main difference I see is that when you select an item in the album view, there are now "Delete" and "Edit" options, which is good. As far as I can tell, "Edit" only applies to name and description; there's no way to edit the picture itself. Also, Edit and Delete are limited by the 60 day edit window, so in fact many of the ones I would want to update I cannot. Were there any other changes I should be seeing?

It occurred to me after I posted my questions here that the edit window would likely apply here for the same reason as in normal postings. While I disagree with that policy (as discussed ad nauseum elsewhere :)), it is at least consistent between here and there so I don't have too much basis for further complaint.

I might argue that name and description of media are not particularly sensitive information, and limiting editing time on them doesn't really accomplish anything. I don't care so much about the Delete function, because moving an item into my private "Trash" album accomplishes what I need.

7. Mar 7, 2019 #7

Angie

Angie

Angie

It is the same policy. And same reason. But I have put the length of time longer for images to help some.

8. Mar 7, 2019 #8

neil_w

neil_w

neil_w

OK thanks.