Meatball Rocketry sample graphics

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meatball 1

Reaction score
I posted this on scaleroc a few days ago:

Thought I'd share this latest page that shows some 3D (and of course 2D) work that I've accomplished using TurboCAD Pro. It's primarily rocket-related, and some samples you guys have seen before. Other things are obviously new, including a preview of some graphics for the Nike-Tomahawk data. I think you'll particularly enjoy the SA-1 Saturn I 3D model. :)

www.meatballrocketry.com/samples.htm

Really nice stuff there...

Coincidently, I was thinking of doing either a large Saturn 1 b ...or a large Arco Javelin three stage for my winter project.

Thanks, Jim. I have plans to "pepper" our site with various 3D images as time goes on. The next project to finish is the Nike-Tomahawk data project for NARTS.

Good luck with your winter project. One of these days the Vikings will actually get to meet again in real life.

Josh, that is some great artwork, and the drawings look fantastic too!
Looks like you are pretty proficient with the software---was Turbocad difficult to learn? Do you recommend the software?

Would you hire out cheap to draw my rockets and make 'em look good?

Thanks, powderburner. :)

Yes, I recommend TurboCAD. It is available in three primary versions Designer, Deluxe, and Pro. Designer is 2D, Deluxe has 2D/3D capability, but you're more limited in what you can do (fewer tools, more limited materials, no ACIS solid capability), and Pro can do all the fancy stuff like image wrapping (i.e. the decals on the Saturn I samples). The version I have is v. 11 Pro, but IMSI is up to v.16 now. I do plan to upgrade when I can; I also need to upgrade our computer. And yes, Pro is expensive unless you can find some legitimate student discount or something, OR you can find some pretty good deals on previous Pro versions (like v14 or 15) from cadandgraphics on ebay.

It definitely has a steep learning curve, just like any other complex CAD software. When I started learning 2D TurboCAD back in 2001, it didn't take me long to figure out the basics; the 2D work helped out a lot when I started doing 3D--so that I was able to pick it up in a snap, although 3D is in many ways a different animal. IMSI also has free DoubleCAD XT software available for 2D work, though I think TurboCAD might still be easier. DoubleCAD XT is definitely worth a try (especially for FREE), and it appears that the tool buttons are the same, although the arrangement may be somewhat different. For 3D, IMSI has a DesignCAD program that's cheaper than TurboCAD Pro, but I have no experience with it to comment.

Hire-out is a possiblity, but I can't really say it would be cheap. I am doing some freebie work for NARTS data drawings, but beyond that I would probably need compensation commensurate with the quality of the work and time involved. It might be different if I was already making a decent living by this stuff; maybe someday that will change. ;)

I am planning on putting up some IMSI affiliate links on our Meatball page for commissioned TurboCAD sales hopefully within the next few days. Anyone who's interested in the software is welcome to use that link(s) to purchase it, and thus help the Meatball Rocketry cause. :cool:

Thanks again for the compliments on the work.

Okay, I went ahead and put up some IMSI/Design (TurboCAD) affiliate links at the samples page (www.meatballrocketry.com/samples.htm), so that if anyone is interested in looking into the software, you can access it from that page, including things such as free trial versions. I may eventually add an additional page with some special offers (bundles, coupon codes, etc.) from IMSI/Design (I already have one for DoubleCAD XT Pro/Corel Designer Technical Suite at the bottom of the samples page).

Maybe this technically fits better in the vendors section, but I figured I needed to wrap up what I had written before.

And of course, I'll add new samples of my work here and there as time allows, etc. But presently I need to finish the Nike-Tomahawk data packet drawings for NARTS. Wish me luck--I'm going to try to get them done before 2010.

And thanks, Scott. I think. ;)

I posted this on scaleroc a few days ago:

Thought I'd share this latest page that shows some 3D (and of course 2D) work that I've accomplished using TurboCAD Pro. It's primarily rocket-related, and some samples you guys have seen before. Other things are obviously new, including a preview of some graphics for the Nike-Tomahawk data. I think you'll particularly enjoy the SA-1 Saturn I 3D model. :)

www.meatballrocketry.com/samples.htm

They look great:)
Cheers
fred

Back