measuring G force

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Liming

Not so Well-Known Member
Reaction score
With the availability of low cost strain gauges and MEMS type vibration sensors now, has anyone seen any DIY devices that can be used to measure the amount of G shock that occurs on a component? For instance, if I want to know how many Gs a certain wiring technique can sustain before failure, I would make a test circuit, attach it to a sled like it would be in an avbay, and apply an increasing force until failure, etc. How can I measure the G shock that was applied each time? I have done a few projects that reads a strain gauges and reads an 6 DOF accelerometer, but I am not sure those would be accurate in the 6-15 G range. Anyone else tackled this?

There are accelerometers out there that can read high accelerations. It shouldn't be too difficult to log the output with something like a Raspberry Pi.

An alternative is to use height to give a velocity and then decelerate it over a known distance to get an estimate of the decel.

Besides the ADXL377, do you know of any solid state high g accelerometers? Seems no one has built one?

You are mixing two different things: force and shock. If you want to measure shock you need an appropriate sensor, signal conditioning, and data acquisition. I collected some acceleration data using a MPU9250 but its 4KSPS was inadequate for analyzing shock.

Endevco makes some really nice accels and the 2250 is one of my favorites.

Shock is just deceleration of a known velocity over a controlled distance. Know the velocity and distance of deceleration and the decel value is calculable. This is how we shock test our spectrometers for regulatory compliance.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that the industrial accelerometers are very expensive!

I think shock and jerk are being confused here, probably my fault for referring to G shock in the OP instead of jerk. Jerk is the change in acceleration per unit time. Shock, although not well defined, is usually a discontinuous event, like an energetic impact with the ground. I don't see how shock would be otherwise applicable to rocket flight.
David, Thanks for the reference to the 2250.

Last edited:
Aaron, its not the g range of the 377, its the 1KHz data rate.

Last edited:
Shock is usually simulated in the lab using a half sine acceleration curve. Designed to produce a particular shock response spectrum.

But the only way to accurately produce a pyrotechnic shock response spectrum is with explosives. :)

Well, I know that one ISO standard (1413 Horology) for testing shock on watches is defined as a 3 kg hammer suspended as a pendulum striking the watch at 9:00 and on its face, moving at 4.43 m/s, imparting about 30 joules, and still maintaining the watch's its accuracy. So at least one standard defines shock as a quantity of kinetic energy, which kind of makes sense.
My original post was really about seeing if anyone had ever rigged a test stand to measure the impact of mounting failures, etc.
Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

It would be interesting to see if a recovery ground test type event could be instrumented to measure the acceleration (from which you could perhaps get shock with some math)

Back