Meaner Machine scratch build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I primered the nose cone and fins, then painted them with Rustoleum 2X sun yellow. No bugs, no runs!

150.JPG

151.JPG

152.JPG

153.JPG

155.JPG

156.JPG

157.JPG

160.JPG

161.JPG

There are a couple of blemishes on the fins that I missed before paint. One is some errant epoxy, and the other is some sort of scrape. But it'll look good on the pad!

158.JPG

159.JPG

I did some ground testing today just to make sure. Got good separation. And the weeds prevented damage to the rocket!

001.JPG

003.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

012.JPG

013.JPG

014.JPG

I did two tests, just for fun. My son took burst photos, and I took video. Nice energetic pops, but not too energetic. I'm very happy with the tests today.

[YOUTUBE]ZoonZJCQ3kk[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]iQyD2hWOR1I[/YOUTUBE]

1001.JPG

1002.JPG

1003.JPG

1004.JPG

2001.JPG

2002.JPG

2003.JPG

2004.JPG

2005.JPG

Got the bulkhead and baffle plate epoxied into their couplers.

I'm getting to this thread late, but what was the purpose of the two blocks with the nylon stand-offs? Were they used to position the baffle plate in the coupler?

Thanks Jeff! Are you working on anything?

Might be a broken record... but no... I am working at a new job. Takes most of my time. But I have plenty to fly.
I have two rockets waiting finishing. And have been for a LONG time. An Arreaux which is primed, and a Rocketry Warehouse, yes when there was a Rocketry Warehouse, 4 inch Nike-Smoke which is flat white painted but needs the fins done.

Are you using electronic deployment? Or just measuring the charge size with those plastic capsules?

Best
Jeff

I'm getting to this thread late, but what was the purpose of the two blocks with the nylon stand-offs? Were they used to position the baffle plate in the coupler?

Yes, I routinely use nylon spacers to position and keep level baffle plates and bulkheads in couplers.

Might be a broken record... but no... I am working at a new job. Takes most of my time. But I have plenty to fly.
I have two rockets waiting finishing. And have been for a LONG time. An Arreaux which is primed, and a Rocketry Warehouse, yes when there was a Rocketry Warehouse, 4 inch Nike-Smoke which is flat white painted but needs the fins done.

Are you using electronic deployment? Or just measuring the charge size with those plastic capsules?

Best
Jeff

I hope your new job is going well, and I'm glad you're getting to fly. No electronics, just wanted to make sure that the 0.7 grams in the 29/40-120 reloads is enough. The plastic capsules are centrifuge tubes, and I have used them for dual deploy in the past.

Before I did the ground testing, I epoxied the baffle coupler into the aft body tube. I also screwed the forward coupler into the center body tube. This is so I can disassemble the forward section should it ever be necessary. The screws are going into the 1/2" bulkhead I put in the coupler.

162.JPG

163.JPG

164.JPG

165.JPG

166.JPG

167.JPG

I hate masking. I think it's easier to paint the body tube first, then mask it around the fins. I didn't do it that way in this case, because of the yellow fins. I didn't if the yellow would cover the black if I painted it in reverse.

168a.JPG

168b.jpg

170a.jpg

170b.JPG

The paint lines aren't perfect, but they're very good for me, and I'm more than happy with it. I really like the satin black finish.

171.jpg

172.JPG

173.JPG

174.JPG

175.JPG

176.JPG

177.JPG

178.JPG

I put in three screws to hold the nose cone in place, and got the recovery harness set up. He's ready to fly!

193.JPG

194.JPG

201.JPG

204.JPG

I don't know about a masterpiece, but I'm hoping it's another fun flying rocket. I am pretty happy with how it turned out.

I'm trying to be more positive these days......

But if you insist.... Ok, yep, it's a rocket, Jim. It ought to fly. (Better?)

Turned out great! Looking forward to a flight report. I also need to create a paint stand like yours (or a few of them), though I don't built rockets quite that large.

I did two tests, just for fun. My son took burst photos, and I took video. Nice energetic pops, but not too energetic. I'm very happy with the tests today.

[YOUTUBE]ZoonZJCQ3kk[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]iQyD2hWOR1I[/YOUTUBE]

Youtube is the most random place!

Following the completion of your video, one of two recommended follow-on videos was Banshee Moon aka Farm Girl demonstrates the use of a rocket stove in her typical state of being marginally dressed!

Back on topic...what motor are you going to launch the Meaner Machine on this weekend?

Planning to attend. Might be windy, tho.

Yeah, It's supposed to be windy tomorrow, but I haven't heard about Saturday yet. I'm planning on launching my two as soon as I get there. The wind is usually calmer in the early morning.

Back