Mean Machine, indeed!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katinthebox

Reaction score
So happy with this paint job! I pretty much always disregard the packaging and throw out the decals... but this time I think I actually came up with something kinda impressive...
I started by painting the sections different fluorescent colors last spring-
Screenshot_20220212-212303~2.png
I had more planned, but time got away from me... Between the humidity of the summer, the rainy fall, and the absolutely miserable winter, I couldn't finally finish finishing it until today!
I started masking first thing this morning
Screenshot_20220212-212714~2.png

... Then I spent the afternoon painting and carefully setting things inside to dry where they wouldn't get too many bugs on them...
Screenshot_20220212-213107~2.png
(yes I did just set them on top of liquor bottles, it worked like a charm!)
And here's the finished product!!!
Screenshot_20220212-213253~2.png
(apologies for the weird edit, but that's a really tall thing to get a picture of without my messy house taking up too much of the frame!)

What's your biggest deviation from packaging success?

The paint looks really cool, and it genuinely looks really impressive, but I'm concerned about the fins. To maximize strength, the wood grain needs to be parallel to the leading edge. Assuming it's what it looks like and you used the stock fins but put them on in a different orientation, your grain is parallel to the tip edge and those fins are going to break really easily.

Yeah I put the first one one wrong without realizing it and then just ran with it. If it breaks, I'll be more careful next time, but I'm not gonna throw the baby out with the bathwater.
I can do this paint job again, it was actually pretty easy, but it looks so good!

Nice on both rockets pictured so far!!!

When I was a kid, one of the 1st grade 'projects' was to randomly color on a piece of paper, then cover in black crayon and scrape a drawing onto the paper to reveal a psychedelic-ish picture. Seems like you guys remembered that idea!

I think I'll do my next paint job with a concept like that and see what happens.

Thanks for the posts!

Sandy.

Great job on a really cool paint that will be hard to miss on the field or in the air. I agree with Antares JS you‘ll have some fin repair to do. Fins attached with the grain parallel to the root are likely to snap.

Very cool unique looking nice job

So happy with this paint job! I pretty much always disregard the packaging and throw out the decals... but this time I think I actually came up with something kinda impressive...
I started by painting the sections different fluorescent colors last spring-
View attachment 504394
I had more planned, but time got away from me... Between the humidity of the summer, the rainy fall, and the absolutely miserable winter, I couldn't finally finish finishing it until today!
I started masking first thing this morning
View attachment 504396

... Then I spent the afternoon painting and carefully setting things inside to dry where they wouldn't get too many bugs on them...
View attachment 504397
(yes I did just set them on top of liquor bottles, it worked like a charm!)
And here's the finished product!!!
View attachment 504398
(apologies for the weird edit, but that's a really tall thing to get a picture of without my messy house taking up too much of the frame!)

What's your biggest deviation from packaging success?

When I just saw the fluorescent colors, I was ho hum about it, not liking fluorescent. But you fooled me and it looks awesome.

You could paper those fins after the fact then repaint them- glue on a piece of paper extending it onto the fllets, put on new fillets over the paper, then repaint.

Latest posts

Back