mean machine and Black Brant iii on Estes coming soon page

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like how mean machines splits in the middle from the factory now, curious how the “twist lock “ works

A big "HOORAY" on the return of the BBIII ! I've got one on the near-future build list, but I had planned on merely starting with a PNC-50BB nose cone and scratch-building the rest. It will be nice to have an actual kit to work with.

Oh heck yeah! I know John Boren was talking about licensing issues for certain scale models, glad to see in this case they were able to figure something out.

New Mean Machine paint scheme is reminiscent of the Solar Warrior. Look forward to seeing the details of the twist-lock mechanism. John is a wizard with CAD and a laser cutter, let's see what "the clever rocket designers" (LOL) have concocted.

New Mean Machine paint scheme is reminiscent of the Solar Warrior. Look forward to seeing the details of the twist-lock mechanism. John is a wizard with CAD and a laser cutter, let's see what "the clever rocket designers" (LOL) have concocted.

Looks like the same twist lock mechanism from the last release, which worked very well. I got about 8 launches on E motors no problems out of mine, 1 D12 and it was taken by the trees.

Yes, it's the same twist and lock coupler like the last re-issue. I can't take credit for it.

John Boren

The parts layout photos included on the site are a nice touch.

I think I posted these pictures of the Mean Machine locking coupler in an old thread somewhere but I couldn't find it. Anyway, two pins on the male piece fit into corresponding slots on the female piece. Insert, twist, coupler locked, Mean Machine ready to go ! :)

IMG_0755.jpg IMG_0754.jpg

IMG_0753.jpg IMG_0752.jpg

Someone at Estes at that time must have been changing a taillight bulb, had a "Light bulb " moment and went Hmmmm!
Cause that's what it looks like to me. Bulb n socket.

Hmmmm.....I may have to get one of these mean machines.....

Interesting paint choice. Did someone dislike the old scary black assault rocket paintjob?

Love the mean machine, especially on more powerful motors with lots of black smoke, always a crowd favorite. So many wonderful and sometimes very interesting flights. Even the super-roc rod bind ups and E9 CATO's/spit nozzles are cool.

It is always nice to pick up the old mean machine after a flight, untwist the lock, break it in half and take a whiff off the lingering ejection smoke left in the tube. Love the smell of gunpowder. I don't worry about people seeing me whiff smoke out of a long tube because that sort of thing is more acceptable in Colorado these days.:)

Happy to see these come back, though I would have expected the MM to have a 29mm mount, for the E16/F15 motors. The BBIII is a must buy!

Hmmmm.....I may have to get one of these mean machines.....

Interesting paint choice. Did someone dislike the old scary black assault rocket paintjob?

I saw on Facebook they said that the black versions tended to warp in the sun (like my black Fletcher does).

RE: twist-lock couplers. I fashioned a combination twist-lock coupler/baffle using a dowel and several layers of laminated paper towel rolls with a similar 90-deg groove. Works great, looks not too pretty, but you can't see it when the rocket is on the launch pad! The whole rocket was basically a scratch build from paper towel and wrapping paper tubes, and I sort of made that part up as a I went along. (24mm D power rocket)

DSC_6722 (1).jpg

RE: Estes new kits: AWESOME!!!

I saw on Facebook they said that the black versions tended to warp in the sun (like my black Fletcher does).

I can vouch for that!

A friend and I went to a Lucerne launch in the mid-1980s.
He had a nicely finished Mean Machine (Original version).

It was either August or September and it was blooming hot on the range.
We later learned that the temp was 115F.

My friend leaned his Mean Machine against his car so we could get to the other rockets inside.
After ten minutes in the sun the black paint had blistered over the entire length of the rocket and
the rocket had a nice bend in it.

I understand that there were several paint schemes put forward for this new issue of the Mean Machine.
The blue/white pattern was the one that was liked the most.

Congrats to John and Estes for these two "must buys."

But seriously, how are you guys still missing the biggest no-brainer of all time? Bring back the Estes Aerospace Club (EAC) and the Viper rocket! Even better, make a 29mm mid-power upscale of the Viper.

Bring back the Estes Aerospace Club (EAC) and the Viper rocket!

Let me just state that I've not heard a single thing mentioned in just about any comment on the internet that some of us at Estes haven't already talked about. Now that Estes is owned by people that actually love Rocketry, just about anything is possible in the future. I still wouldn't hold my breath for the return of the B14 motor. I'm personally trying for the B8 and C5 motors, but all I can do is ask.

John Boren

I've owned two mean machines over the years, one still in my queue btw. Never had a lot of luck with it, or maybe it was the engines. The first time it blew up on the pad, causing some damage to the motor mount. Fixed it, second try it blew up again., this time it seemed that the ejection charge fired within milliseconds. It blew the nose cone out with a fire ball. Third time, new engine stock, something similar happened, this time about a foot off the pad almost clearing it. It warped the tube. Lol. Here is a pic of it and me from about 20 years ago. Fun times though. FB_IMG_1528668306212.jpeg

Let me just state that I've not heard a single thing mentioned in just about any comment on the internet that some of us at Estes haven't already talked about. Now that Estes is owned by people that actually love Rocketry, just about anything is possible in the future. I still wouldn't hold my breath for the return of the B14 motor. I'm personally trying for the B8 and C5 motors, but all I can do is ask.

John Boren

It would be nice to get new C5 motors - I only have 2 packs or so left... [emoji16]

Chris

I've owned two mean machines over the years, one still in my queue btw. Never had a lot of luck with it, or maybe it was the engines. The first time it blew up on the pad, causing some damage to the motor mount. Fixed it, second try it blew up again., this time it seemed that the ejection charge fired within milliseconds. It blew the nose cone out with a fire ball. Third time, new engine stock, something similar happened, this time about a foot off the pad almost clearing it. It warped the tube. Lol. Here is a pic of it and me from about 20 years ago. Fun times though. View attachment 346096

I’m on my third mean machine. My first two both, on their first flight, found the same rocket eating tree.

Mean Machine #3 just completed its third flight on Sunday.

Chris

Back