Me-163 Komet from Arkansas [by Klima at Apogee]

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MOTOR
I used a D2.3, where Apogee recommends a D13 or D24. My first flight was with a D24.

Looking at it again, the motor burn wasn't that bad. If I had not added down trim, I might have gotten a more straight-up launch.

In my first launch, I had assumed that the erratic flight at launch was caused by something in the controls. But I was NOT using a launch rod, and I am wondering if the erratic flight was caused by a "jerk" from the igniter pulling free from the motor.

I need to reduce aileron response.

Conducted another flight of the Me-163. It did not go well, but it did not go horrible. Here is the video. Discussion to follow.

I used an Aerotech D2.3 motor, which is too small for this model. But I learned.

That looks like it was very controllable, and if you had just leveled out a bit it would have climbed out slowly, looks like you just got confused as it got too far away and you have the aileron set very sensitive, looks like you just rolled inverted accidentally..

That looks like it was very controllable, and if you had just leveled out a bit it would have climbed out slowly, looks like you just got confused as it got too far away and you have the aileron set very sensitive, looks like you just rolled inverted accidentally..
Yup, I completely agree.

That is a way to capture video if you don't have a cameraman. It looks like you did a good job of capturing the lift-off. The price on the DragonTouch Vision 3 looks reasonable.

Conducted a second launch of the Me-163 with an Aerotech D2.3, and got similar results.

The rocket glider lifted off fine, then almost seemed to stagger in the air. Not a good flight, with damage to the wing (but not bad).

So, going to repair the Komet, and go with the D24 on the next launch.

Conducted a second launch of the Me-163 with an Aerotech D2.3, and got similar results.

The rocket glider lifted off fine, then almost seemed to stagger in the air. Not a good flight, with damage to the wing (but not bad).

So, going to repair the Komet, and go with the D24 on the next launch.
yeah, it's just twice as heavy as that poor D2.3 can boost well.

Sounds like you are trying to climb too steep and the wings stalled.
If you try the D2.3 again do not climb as steeply.

And it did not go well.

The rocket glider had its top facing me, with the launch rod angled away from the flightline.

At launch, the model made a tight arc on its back. It did not go more than 25 feet in the air, and into the grass. There was NO TIME TO RESPOND.

:barf:

m_IMG_3283small.jpg

m_IMG_3282small.jpg

So, now what? As bad as the flight looked, there is still a somewhat viable model.

The D24 is too much power, too quickly. The D2.3 is not enough.

I find myself wondering about the good ol' E6-RC by Aerotech. This motor is par excellence for rocket gliders. I might do a root canal on the backside, and put in a 24mm motor mount.

"He's not dead yet." :cheers:

So, now what? As bad as the flight looked, there is still a somewhat viable model.

The D24 is too much power, too quickly. The D2.3 is not enough.

I find myself wondering about the good ol' E6-RC by Aerotech. This motor is par excellence for rocket gliders. I might do a root canal on the backside, and put in a 24mm motor mount.
Maybe an Estes D12, if you go 24mm on the motor mount . . . You have options.

1690342180328.png

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1690342254758.png

MOTOR
I used a D2.3, where Apogee recommends a D13 or D24. My first flight was with a D24.

Looking at it again, the motor burn wasn't that bad. If I had not added down trim, I might have gotten a more straight-up launch.

In my first launch, I had assumed that the erratic flight at launch was caused by something in the controls. But I was NOT using a launch rod, and I am wondering if the erratic flight was caused by a "jerk" from the igniter pulling free from the motor.

I need to reduce aileron response.
Watched your videos. The vertical launch on the D2.3 was not that bad. Flyable if you are in trim.

I still think the D2.3 is the sweet spot for this model if you do it right.

My plan for my Klima 163 is to have a (NAR legal) 45 degree rack so that it accelerates to flying speed quicker on the D2.3. This is a much more efficient use of the low thrust motor.

Looks like you need to get some flights on the 163 to get the trim better and the get your rates worked out. I boost all of my RC RGs at low to very low control rate.

Did you have a flying buddy that could give you a piggyback ride on a larger model as a glider and drop you off nice and high?

At SMALL in Oct, or next summer, Richard Ng and I are planning on again bringing the Eflite Apprentice with the piggyback rack that we use to drop and air start a Klingberg Rocket Wing. It would work well for my Klima 163 as well.

Last edited:
I know this thread is a bit old, but I modified my ME-163 to accept a 24mm motor mount and it works great with an E6-RC motor. The boost is very quick, so I set up a launch mode on my radio using a momentary switch, cut the elevon rates down to 60%, and threw in 25% expo for good measure. I also set the elevon trim to be faired with the trailing edge of the wing. If you don't remove all the up trim needed for gliding flight, it will definitely do a figure 9 on you (ask me how I know!).

IMG_E0663.JPG

Last edited:
Flying WWII warbirds like the Avro Lancaster, JU 87, DO 217, AR 234 and B6N is exciting, but looking at this model in the Apogee showroom and seeing the initial test flight at the club when it first came in...well...just filled me with way too much fear. Way beyond my skill level. Keep up the good work and never give up. They must fly somehow. They do it in Germany. Makes the Cosmos Mariner look like a dreamboat! :)

I know this thread is a bit old, but I modified my ME-163 to accept a 24mm motor mount and it works great with an E6-RC motor. The boost is very quick, so I set up a launch mode on my radio using a momentary switch, cut the elevon rates down to 60%, and threw in 25% expo for good measure. I also set the elevon trim to be faired with the trailing edge of the wing. If you don't remove the up trim needed for gliding flight, it will definitely do a figure 9 on you (ask me how I know!).

View attachment 632611
Congrats, the Apogee flight I saw, they were trying to use a D-24 which was way too quick in an obviously untrimmed model. What did your rtf weight wind up?

11.1 oz. Forgot to mention the other risk mitigation step I took was to first fly it as a slope glider ballasted to the motor burnout CG in order get a feel for handling qualities and glide trim.

11.1 oz. Forgot to mention the other risk mitigation step I took was to first fly it as a slope glider ballasted to the motor burnout CG in order get a feel for handling qualities and glide trim.
Ok thats a pretty good boost weight for that motor, my lightest models are 7.5 oz with that motor, they really scoot! Glad you were able to pre trim for glide that helps. I know how pitchy komets can be when tail heavy on boost. What glide times are you seeing?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back