Me-163 Komet from Arkansas [by Klima at Apogee]

Crawf56

Pig Soooiiieee!!
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
MOTOR
I used a D2.3, where Apogee recommends a D13 or D24. My first flight was with a D24.

Looking at it again, the motor burn wasn't that bad. If I had not added down trim, I might have gotten a more straight-up launch.

In my first launch, I had assumed that the erratic flight at launch was caused by something in the controls. But I was NOT using a launch rod, and I am wondering if the erratic flight was caused by a "jerk" from the igniter pulling free from the motor.

I need to reduce aileron response.

burkefj

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Conducted another flight of the Me-163. It did not go well, but it did not go horrible. Here is the video. Discussion to follow.

I used an Aerotech D2.3 motor, which is too small for this model. But I learned.

That looks like it was very controllable, and if you had just leveled out a bit it would have climbed out slowly, looks like you just got confused as it got too far away and you have the aileron set very sensitive, looks like you just rolled inverted accidentally..

Crawf56

Pig Soooiiieee!!
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
That looks like it was very controllable, and if you had just leveled out a bit it would have climbed out slowly, looks like you just got confused as it got too far away and you have the aileron set very sensitive, looks like you just rolled inverted accidentally..
Yup, I completely agree.

aerostadt

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
That is a way to capture video if you don't have a cameraman. It looks like you did a good job of capturing the lift-off. The price on the DragonTouch Vision 3 looks reasonable.

Crawf56

Pig Soooiiieee!!
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Conducted a second launch of the Me-163 with an Aerotech D2.3, and got similar results.

The rocket glider lifted off fine, then almost seemed to stagger in the air. Not a good flight, with damage to the wing (but not bad).

So, going to repair the Komet, and go with the D24 on the next launch.

burkefj

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Conducted a second launch of the Me-163 with an Aerotech D2.3, and got similar results.

The rocket glider lifted off fine, then almost seemed to stagger in the air. Not a good flight, with damage to the wing (but not bad).

So, going to repair the Komet, and go with the D24 on the next launch.
yeah, it's just twice as heavy as that poor D2.3 can boost well.

waltr

Reaction score
Sounds like you are trying to climb too steep and the wings stalled.
If you try the D2.3 again do not climb as steeply.