CANCELLED MDRA's Red Glare XXI April 3-5 at Higgs Farm

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott S

Reaction score
Featured flights are starting to show up for MDRA's 21st Red Glare. See what others are planning to fly on our website.

Who's coming and what are you flying?

I have a Loki M2550 and an M3464. I'll probably put the 2550 in my MegaNuk and the 3464 in the Performer 200.

I'm in (duh) and I'll be at the field Thursday morning with my son.

We decided to go old-school so I'm bringing my LDRS-28 commemorative rocket (aka muck-fest). I may have the only one that was stretched for DD.

I'm trying to finish rebuilding one of my wrecked Level-2 rockets and fly a J for the first time in eight years. I will have three other Level 1 size rockets and my usual gaggle of little rockets. I'm also trying to finish an Estes Mercury-Atlas that was gifted to me by a co-worker, but I refuse to rush a scale model to meet a deadline, so we'll see.

I'll be using Eggfinder Minis in some of my rockets. I'd like to find some other Mini/LCD-GPS users. I've used mine a couple of times, but never on a rocket that's gone out of sight. If anyone is using an LCD/GPS to locate a rocket that flies out of sight I'd like to tag along to get an idea of how the tracking works.

Will probably fly my Cowabunga Mammoth on a M1850 White, and my Square Rocket on a K750 Red.

I need a good square rocket. Just not one that weighs 300# maybe 100....

I need a good square rocket. Just not one that weighs 300# maybe 100....

Mine is a 37 lb downscale version of Tom Cohen's original big square rocket, which I think weighs 240 lb. It would make a really cool kit.
28946944458_88c8d4daa9_o.jpg

I'll be using Eggfinder Minis in some of my rockets. I'd like to find some other Mini/LCD-GPS users. I've used mine a couple of times, but never on a rocket that's gone out of sight. If anyone is using an LCD/GPS to locate a rocket that flies out of sight I'd like to tag along to get an idea of how the tracking works.

I hope to be there. In February I used the Mini/LCD-GPS to track a rocket that was out of sight, but I probably won't bring it to Red Glare, so I won't be tracking anything, but perhaps my experience would be helpful. I found it useful to start by knowing which was was North, so I could start walking in the right direction before the "track" started to give me useful numbers.

Ohh mann is this going to be a smokin launch..
Red Glare always is..
Higgs farm is just a fantastic launch site
and MDRA puts on one of THE launches of the year..
I just can't wait..

Teddy

I swear for me personally I have the hardest time determining what I'm going to fly at launches like RG.. I'm not the type that just shows up throws a motor in a bird and hopes for the best. I have to have every single thing calculated before each flight.. this is my OCD but also a very good practice to get into especially when flying rocket.
I'll have all of this documented well before each flight, usually with 1-4 motors in the event weather or availability comes into play.

What rocket
What motor or motors
What chute for said rocket
What charge size for both apogee & main
What altitudes for both main & back up
What length & size shock cords
Drogue or droguless, usually determined by weather and the bird itself, fin sizes/drag, weights of upper & lower section etc.
What delay if needed
CP - CG Ratios

This is just my way of flying, now back to the original question... What the heck am I flying at Red Glare and on what motor! lol......

Tentative!! or narrowed down to so far.
5.5" Nike Smoke
5" VORLON 5 (Scratch)
6" THOR
MR-64 My (Scratch) upscale of the PML MR-1. Mine is a 4" BT, 6" NC, 75mm MM
3" Painkiller (Scratch)
5" Broken Arrow
6" (Scratch) Hellfire

I've decided to go with the Formula 200 on a Loki M2550:

upload_2020-3-11_13-54-45.png

and the Perfromance 200 "Paranoid Android" on a Loki M3464:

upload_2020-3-11_13-52-43.png

These guys share a sled/altimeters, harnesses, thrust plate, and drogue, so I can't have both prepped ahead of time. So if I fly the P200 on Friday, then I'll have a ton of work to do on Friday night to get the Android ready to go on Saturday.

I will be there with my mini higgs farm and my mini missile. I'm debating on bring blue thunder and getting it up in the air again but I'd need a motor for it.

Someone's got to ask...
What's the chance that Covid19 will force you to cancel?

I haven't heard a thing about RG but if I had to guess!! I'd say its off! I did hear MD put a ban on gatherings of 250 people or more for 2 weeks, that started last week.

Read More:

I haven't heard a thing about RG but if I had to guess!! I'd say its off! I did hear MD put a ban on gatherings of 250 people or more for 2 weeks, that started last week.

Red Glare is in three weeks, so let's cross our fingers, hope, and pray this whole thing blows over or at least reduces in seriousness in time.

I am not assembling any motors until I know for sure we're on. Otherwise, I have to leave them in my garage until November.

Depends on whether the ban on meetings of 10 or more people is extended past 15 days. Very close right now, unfortunately. Pray for the best, and not just for RG!

Marvin has decided to shelter in place to avoid being affected with COVID-19, potentially transmitting it back to his home planet. The support crew is very disappointed but very understanding. After all, we want him to bear good news to his family and friends, and not bad news.

We are uncertain when he will feel comfortable with making his next attempt. For now, he will snack on his stash of twinkies and his advice to you all is.... Remember the double-tap!

It is with deep regret that we must announce the cancellation of Red Glare 21 that was scheduled for April 3-5, 2020. This probably should not come as a surprise. We were hoping for the best. However, Maryland has imposed restrictions limiting gatherings of no more than 10 people, closing all non-essential businesses, and restricting general activities. It is uncertain when Maryland will remove these restrictions. In addition, Tripoli has also placed restrictions around launches. We made this cancellation decision under much deliberation and decided to provide members as much notice as possible to allow you to change or cancel your personal plans around Red Glare.

In the upcoming weeks, MDRA will be refunding pre-orders for Red Glare Launch Fees, Raffle Tickets, and Banquet Tickets. The tee shirts will be shipped to those that have ordered them. Please be patient as we work through the logistics of getting this completed. Please do not forget to cancel any personal reservations or preparation plans you might have around Red Glare. We will publish new launch dates once the coronavirus restrictions have been lifted.

MDRA BoD

I've lived in this area for three Red Glares.

2018 - Daughter was just born. Couldn't go.

2019 - Antares NG-11 launch campaign gearing up. Couldn't go because of work.

2020 - I was sure I'd finally be going until a pandemic started.

I'll get over it, but this is a real "OH COME ON!" moment for me.

Last edited:
Back