MDRA Rockets Red Glare GPS Frequency Tracking

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Folks, I'll be at Red Glare on Sunday, the plan is to test Charles's eggStation software on one of my flights. The rocket will be a 4" dia dual deployment with a peak altitude of about 3.5Kft, it will have a a Proton board with 70cm telemetry to test that function and a Quasar as a back up. Unfortunately the eggStation software is not configured yet to support the Quasar/gps telemetry format . If someone at the launch on Sun has an Eggfinder or mini they are willing to loan for the test flight we can give it a ride, or alternatively just power it up on the ground and test the eggStation software. The eggStation forum thread is at: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...-ground-station-software-build-thread.178464/ Pls PM me if interested. Tnx.

Regards,
Bill Schworer
NAR & Tripoli L3

Now that Red Glare is over I though we should follow up on this thread and get feed-back as to how well the GPS Tracker Frequency table worked.

I only flew one flight with GPS (Eggfinder) on Friday (31mar). Rocket did go out of sight and GPS walked you right to it.
No issues obtaining a signal due to interference. I did lose signal once rocket was on the ground but 'last position' still took me directly to the rocket. Picked up the signal once I was closer. It landed about 2500 feet away but still within the recovery area.

What was your experience.

Flew two using GPS with no issues. First flight didn't really need GPS since it landed about 300' away southeast of the launch rails. Second flight went 3500' up to apogee and recovered 2500' south in the deep grass. The grass nearly consumed the rocket and the bright orange 42" parachute. GPS took me right to it though. No loss of signal at any point.

The freq coordination chart was a great idea. I used it on Sat night to set the freq of the 70cm telemetry and the 915 MHz Quasar so that they wouldn't conflict with the others listed on the chart. Sunday test of the EggStation software (see image above) was good, the 4" dia dual deploy on a J-180 went up about 3100 feet and landed about 100 feet from the car...... no GPS needed this time :)

The freq coordination chart was a great idea. I used it on Sat night to set the freq of the 70cm telemetry and the 915 MHz Quasar so that they wouldn't conflict with the others listed on the chart. Sunday test of the EggStation software (see image above) was good, the 4" dia dual deploy on a J-180 went up about 3100 feet and landed about 100 feet from the car...... no GPS needed this time :)
^^ The ellipsis above is misplaced. I suggest 'No GPS was needed... this time.'

I'm hoping that LDRS people are looking at this thread/approach.

Since there is nothing official being done to track what frequencies are being used, I figured I would start a thread for those of us going to Red Glare. Post your device, its name (if applicable), the frequency it uses, the day you plan to fly on, and your name. I will try and keep a chart in this main post updated as people comment their frequencies. I've filled in my info below as an example.

Device TypeDevice Name (If Applicable)FrequencyDay(s) Planned for UsingUser
Featherweight GPSFthrWt02748Ch13B 912.600MHzFridayTrevor Mushung
Eggfinder Mini919MHz Ch6FridayAndrew Steele
Eggfinder Mini909MHz Ch3Saturday & SundayMicah Hanson
Eggtimer Telemetry unitWraith1919MHz Ch3Saturday & SundayMicah Hanson
Eggtimer Telemetry unitSilverGhost1919MHz Ch3Saturday & SundayMicah Hanson
Eggfinder GPS433.050MHzSaturday & SundayRobert Kaplan
Featherweight GPSFthrWt02712CH25A 922.200MHzKevin Mcgee
Eggfinder Tx917MHz Ch1Friday & SaturdayJeremy Wong
Eggtimer Quantum923MHz Ch1Friday & SaturdayJeremy Wong
Eggfinders911MHz Ch7Brian Schenkenberger
Featherweight GPSke8nai_sCh25A 922.200MHzFriday
Featherweight GPSWMXCh22A 919.800MHzSaturday & SundayJustin Gleiter
Featherweight GPSConcept 125Ch22A 919.800MHzSaturday & SundayJustin Gleiter
Eggfinder921MHz Ch6All 3Jeff Miller
Eggfinder921MHz Ch7All 3Jeff Miller
Eggfinder913 Ch3All 3John Banks
Eggfinder913 Ch5All 3John Banks
Homebuilt GPSRitz1433.240MHzAll 3John Ritz
Eggfinder911MHz Ch3FridayWalt Rauscher
Eggfinder919Mhz Ch0FridayMarten Beels

I will only be there on Saturday. If someone wants to print this out and bring it on Friday feel free to. Otherwise I will bring a printed version for the RSO table on Saturday and leave it for Sunday. I will also be posting this on the MDRA FB group and the Tripoli group, I ask that you please try not to post the same information on multiple posts please.
Gives a good indication of what's popular......

Now that Red Glare is over I though we should follow up on this thread and get feed-back as to how well the GPS Tracker Frequency table worked.

Yes, great idea. I realize now I didn't check the printed out frequency table in case there were new additions to list beyond the last time I saw it here on TRF. Something to remember for next time.

I flew one flight with Eggfinder GPS on Friday, my base station didn't get a fix, but not an issue with the frequencies in use, I believe. My rocket didn't separate at apogee (undersized charge? It fired...) and had a highspeed deployment of the main at low altitude. At least it didn't come in ballistic.

The nosecone (and therefore the GPS transmitter) separated and I didn't recover it (got the rest of the rocket). So my GPS would have continued transmitting until the battery died. Not ideal. Hopefully that didn't cause issues with others. Ironic that the only part I didn't recover was the GPS.

2 flights on Sunday, GPS worked great and took me directly to my rocket. The winds were strong and the vegetation, not sure what it was, was about 3 ft tall so it was very helpful.

I flew 7 flights I believe. All with trackers. While I could see the landing position of all my flights, several were between 1/2 mile and 1 mile out. All of which I was able to connect with and got good lat/longs on each along with directional data on my handheld receiver. While I didnt "need" the tracking for all but one recovery in the long grass, it was great to know it was working flawlessly. Thanks again for mainting the frequency list!

Back