MDRA Events Questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have launched a single deploy rocket to ~2500 ft. Depending on wind, you could have a long walk. I would definitely put a tracker in it if you have one or use a chute release. I would also recommend having a few people tracking it with you (visually) as it can be easy to lose sight of it if you blink too long!

Use a chute release. You have plenty of room, but that walk in the winter can be a killer if the ground is covered with snow. It wasn't too bad last weekend, but last February, the field was a skating rink. If you need a chute release and I am there, come on by, I will let you borrow one.

Marco Polos work great at Higgs. I use GPS trackers at places like URRG, but Marco Polo is all you need at Higgs, even if your rocket lands a mile a way.

For the record, I usually use dual deploy or a chute release on anything high power or any high performing mid-power, like a skinny rocket on a G, but that's much more to save myself a walk than because I'm really worried about losing it to trees or something. The shorter my walk to recover, the sooner my next rocket goes out on the pad.
Fair. DD is on my goal list for 2022, but I definitely won't be ready by next month.

Good point about walking in snow or ice, definitely slower than normal. Sounds like I should give my chute release a workout.

I suggest using a hair band in place of the rubber bands the Chute Release comes with. I have found that the rubber bands tend to stick to the parachute and you don't get a clean release. I haven't had any issue with it since I switched to the hair bands.

I suggest using a hair band in place of the rubber bands the Chute Release comes with. I have found that the rubber bands tend to stick to the parachute and you don't get a clean release. I haven't had any issue with it since I switched to the hair bands.
I have read that piece of advice before and have already re-equipped my chute release!

I'm planning on attending the next ESL at Central Sod Farm in a few weeks. I've been to a couple MDRA launches at Higgs Farm, but I haven't been to Central Sod yet. I know the flying area is significantly smaller and read recommendations to keep rockets below 2000-2500ft to avoid trees. Is there anything else I should know? I'm thinking about Sunday because it starts so much earlier (though I suppose it always depends on the weather) and I'd get more time to fly. Does that actually make sense in practice?

I'm planning on attending the next ESL at Central Sod Farm in a few weeks. I've been to a couple MDRA launches at Higgs Farm, but I haven't been to Central Sod yet. I know the flying area is significantly smaller and read recommendations to keep rockets below 2000-2500ft to avoid trees. Is there anything else I should know? I'm thinking about Sunday because it starts so much earlier (though I suppose it always depends on the weather) and I'd get more time to fly. Does that actually make sense in practice?
It can make sense - IF the weather is good on both days. In my experience, the best practice is to keep both days open, keep a close eye on the weather forecast as the weekend is coming up, and go on whichever day has better weather. Both days being equally good is pretty uncommon.

At the Central Sod Farm, there is only an A-rack and a B-rack, no C-rack like at Higgs. B8 is usually the only pad with a 1515 rail but they can get out more if needed, but I've never seen it happen. They can also get out one of the big unistrut pads if needed. Sometimes Tom Cohen does one of his flights at the Sod Farm. Just let the BoD know ahead of time if you're going to need it.

I will be there next month with 7 Alphas of different scales ranging from BT-5 to 4".

Back