CANCELLED MDRA ESL259 March 14-15 2020

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djkingsley

Reaction score
MDRA has cancelled this weekend’s ESL 259 launch scheduled for March 14-15, 2020 with an abundance of caution concerning the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19) and in accordance with sweeping directives issued today from Maryland’s Governor Larry Hogan that included that all large gatherings be canceled. MDRA will continue to monitor the Coronavirus situation and evaluate the status of Red Glare in the upcoming weeks. We want everyone to remain safe and take the necessary precautions to stay healthy and look after their families.

Please refer to https://mdrocketry.org.

MDRA Board

Yes good call.

I will not be attending any rocketry events until the virus epidemic is past. Hope to see you in the fall. Stay healthy.

Everything in my life that I was looking forward to over the next few weeks is canceled. What am I going to do with myself?

I guess I'm just not worried about this virus. It's like the flu. Get it, get over it, move on. I wonder if coronapanic isn't worse than coronavirus.

Everything in my life that I was looking forward to over the next few weeks is canceled. What am I going to do with myself?

Build new rockets? Clean the house? Take those countless naps you've always wanted to take? Tackle that honey-do list?

That's all assuming you're not affected. If you're affected, REST UP.

I guess I'm just not worried about this virus. It's like the flu. Get it, get over it, move on. I wonder if coronapanic isn't worse than coronavirus.

No it is not. The fatality rate is at least 10 times higher. Inform yourself and stop spreading misinformation.

I'm in total agreement that the panic is worse than the illness. I mean, look at all the panic prepping done for Y2K, swine flu, bird flu, 2012, etc. In fact, I had a NASTY cold at the end of February which led me to call in sick for the first time in a year and a half, and I even went to a 24hr ER clinic to get it checked because I had shortness of breath along with cold/flu symptoms. The doctors ran all kinds of tests, shrugged, and gave me an inhaler saying maybe it was pneumonia setting in. Looking back and reading the CVD19 symptoms, I think it's possible I had this stuff before the panic set in. :dontknow:

That being said, I am being more cautious about travel because while my family and I are young and healthy enough to likely brush this stuff off, I don't want to risk being a carrier and passing it on to the immunocompromised, the elderly, or young children. We're actually thinking of cancelling out spring travel plans out of state just to keep any potential spreading down to a minimum.

Believe what you want but some experts are saying that up to 70 percent of world population could become infected, with fatality rates exceeding WWII. I plan to be in the 30 percent that doesn't get it. I'll be here deep in the Virginia woods, living like a hermit until this epidemic is over.

Not a large gathering and plenty of room. I see Battlepark did it too.

I just finished building my rockets thank you. The motors I ordered may have gone into the Twilight Zone however.

I'm in total agreement that the panic is worse than the illness. I mean, look at all the panic prepping done for Y2K, swine flu, bird flu, 2012, etc. In fact, I had a NASTY cold at the end of February which led me to call in sick for the first time in a year and a half, and I even went to a 24hr ER clinic to get it checked because I had shortness of breath along with cold/flu symptoms. The doctors ran all kinds of tests, shrugged, and gave me an inhaler saying maybe it was pneumonia setting in. Looking back and reading the CVD19 symptoms, I think it's possible I had this stuff before the panic set in. :dontknow:

That being said, I am being more cautious about travel because while my family and I are young and healthy enough to likely brush this stuff off, I don't want to risk being a carrier and passing it on to the immunocompromised, the elderly, or young children. We're actually thinking of cancelling out spring travel plans out of state just to keep any potential spreading down to a minimum.
I also had a major, flu-like illness that started Christmas day. I got tested for flu. No go. It went into bronchitis, and then a sinus infection. Finally got on antibiotics. From the first day of symptoms to the last day of antibiotics were 41 days. I missed about two weeks of work.

I also wonder if I had it already.

I want to commend and club that cancels their launches. It it not worth the risk.

100% will survive disappointment. The same cannot be said for those that get Coronavirus.

It’s a good idea to cancel. Even though rocketry is an outdoor event and people are not necessarily bunched up together, there are some bottle-necks. I wouldn’t want to be the RSO, handling every single rocket and flight card that gets checked in. And what if that’s the person who is infected, getting their contaminated fingers on everyone's rocket before handing it back. I went to a launch on Sunday, but if one were coming up this weekend, I’d skip it. Things have changed in less than a week.

Back