MDRA ESL 271, August 14-15 - Gender Reveal!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antares JS

Professional Amateur
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I thought I would start a general thread about this weekend's MDRA launch and announce the baby gender reveal launch that I have been planning for months and am super excited about.

The Phoenix, from my level 3 prototype build thread, is equipped with a secondary payload bay above the bay where the main parachute goes. This bay will be rigged to eject the rocket's nose right before the main parachute deploys, and the nose will descend on its own parachute, with a bag of gender reveal powder hanging below it with a small hole cut in it to allow the powder to pour out, hopefully leaving a trail of blue or pink as the nose descends.

We'll be trying to capture footage of the flight to share with family and friends, and I have a J275W for the primary flight, and a J315R to use for a second flight if no good footage of the first flight is captured. I've also asked the guy who uploads videos to MDRA's youtube channel to record this flight and post it.

I will probably be bringing one or two other rockets too, but not too many as I want to focus on making this gender reveal flight a success. Any other flights will strictly be "if there's time."

Anyone else have plans for the Sod Farm this weekend?

Back