MDRA ESL 225 - Mar 11&12

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
Higgs Farm, 9 am - 5 pm this weekend.

I'll be there Saturday with my usual MAC Performance rockets. Tom C. expects to launch a new orange ring fin job he has been working on. Dennis will be test-flying his L3 project on an L motor.

Who else is coming out?

Reminder -- no AMW at this launch. Tommy should be there selling food.

Guy's,,
MDRA in general has been just wonderful to me..
I get orders from all of you guy's constantly..
I have honestly felt guilty for not having gone down to Higgs just to say hello in months..
I've just been busy with other things,, you know,, life gets in the way kinda thing,, lol..
I'd surly like to take a ride down to Higgs this weekend,, on Saturday..
I was thinking of bringing my RV trailer just so everybody'd have a place to warm up and have a hot chocolate,,
it's supposed to be pretty cold on Saturday,, but I don't know if the RV is such a great idea..
I guess I'll hafta see by the end of the week...

Thank you guy's always man,, no kidding...

Teddy

Ted,

Considering the shortage of CTI larger motors, will you be bringing any 75mm and/or 98mm HW and reloads to sell at LDRS?

Ted,

Considering the shortage of CTI larger motors, will you be bringing any 75mm and/or 98mm HW and reloads to sell at LDRS?

John,,
Though I can get you anything Loki you'd like,
I have a heavy stock of the full line through 54 / 2800, loads and hardware...
75 and up I'd have to order..
It's only a few days away though..

Teddy

Unfortunately, I don't know what I'll need until I get there. Scott Szympruch is making a motor for me, and lending me hardware. If, for whatever reason, Scott is unable to deliver, then my next step would be to see if any of the CTI dealers there has a reload for my 5-grain case. But with CTI's current situation, there is always the chance that they won't. So my third step would be to get a Loki case and reload, but the cost of that puts it last on my list for right now. Doesn't mean it's not in my future ... :wink:

John,
If it helps I would always lend you any hardware you like..
I have pretty much everything Aerotech and Loki..
There is only 1 case I don't have ( I'll be receiving them on Monday )
and I believe it's the one you may be interested in,,
The Loki 54 / 2800..

You're always welcome to borrow hardware,,
all I ask is that you guarantee it....

Teddy

Thanks. My F200 flight will be on an M motor, though. Preferred 75mm, but maybe 98mm if necessary.

Unfortunately, I don't know what I'll need until I get there. Scott Szympruch is making a motor for me, and lending me hardware. If, for whatever reason, Scott is unable to deliver, then my next step would be to see if any of the CTI dealers there has a reload for my 5-grain case. But with CTI's current situation, there is always the chance that they won't. So my third step would be to get a Loki case and reload, but the cost of that puts it last on my list for right now. Doesn't mean it's not in my future ... :wink:

What kind of CTI 5 grain reloads are you looking for? Wildman VA has a bunch of CTI 5 grain 54mm reloads in stock. I will be seeing him at Battlepark later this month. If you want to order any CTI reloads from him I could pick them up and deliver them at LDRS.
https://cavemanchemistry.com/nez/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6_56_89

What kind of CTI 5 grain reloads are you looking for? Wildman VA has a bunch of CTI 5 grain 54mm reloads in stock. I will be seeing him at Battlepark later this month. If you want to order any CTI reloads from him I could pick them up and deliver them at LDRS.
https://cavemanchemistry.com/nez/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6_56_89

Sorry, 75mm. And like I said, Scott is supposed to be supplying my motor. I trust him to do that, but I am thinking about a back-up plan in the event of some (God forbid) emergency.

I would like to delve into Loki more, but cost is prohibitive right now.

Thank, though. I appreciate it.

My buddy Steve M is about in the same boat as you are John..
He borrowed my 76 / 3600 hardware and put his beast up
for it's maiden on a Loki L 1482 LB..
All went perfect with his flight..
He likes a lota punch off the pad,, safer, better chance of an uneventful flight that way..
( uneventful in a good way, lol.. )
He has already purchased his level 3 cert load,, the M 1650 Cocktail...
Way,, way too cool of a load to cert on....
One of my favorites,, lol...

Teddy

Some pretty good launches on Saturday. Tom debuted his ring fin/tube fin job. Awesome first flight, everything went like a charm.

Dennis had some issues with his pre-Level 3 prep flight, but the rocket was okay and he is still on for trying for L3 at LDRS.

High school club put up a big rocket successfully. Lots of other good flights.

It was cold, it was windy, but the sky was clear and we had a blast.

Someone who was there Sunday please let us know how it went.

I believe that the deployment failure I had was due to the sheet metal washer that holds the metal tip on the nose cone bending/dishing under the ejection charge pressure. All four of my 4-40 pins sheared but the nose cone did not separate from the av-bay.

My deployment tests used 0.5g of powder and the nose cone popped off but did not extend the harness. So for the shakedown flight I used 1g and the washer dished letting gases escape under the metal tip (soot was visible on the back side of the metal tip).

I am going to epoxy a wooden plug into the end of the nose cone and bore a 1/4" hole so the washer is fully supported across its face and won't fail again.

Back