MDRA ESL 224 - Feb 11&12

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott S

Reaction score
Looks like we're going to have some cloud cover this weekend but should be dry with moderate winds.

I hope to get my 3/4 scale Nike Smoke in the air this weekend on an N3500 Red. Modified the AV bay to accommodate the Missile Works Rtx system.

Anyone else showing up this weekend?

This time I'm going to be standing really far away when you arm the altimeter on that Nike Smoke!

I'll be there both days with everything I have that is flyable. This will be the first flight of my 6" upscale Onyx, probably on a J430 White Thunder. Other than that I'll decide what to fly depending on the conditions.

I'm waiting for the right weather to make my first mile high attempt, with my Frenzy XL. Doesn't look like it will happen this weekend with all the cloud cover.

This time I'm going to be standing really far away when you arm the altimeter on that Nike Smoke!

I'll be there both days with everything I have that is flyable. This will be the first flight of my 6" upscale Onyx, probably on a J430 White Thunder. Other than that I'll decide what to fly depending on the conditions.

Don't blame you there! I took the Garmin transmitter out of the nose cone that's been known to have problems with barometric altimeters.

You never know about the clouds, we could easily have 7-8k foot ceiling.

See you there, Scott

Aviation weather site is showing the cloud cover at over 12,000 feet for most of Saturday.

I expect to be there.

Saturday is still looking good. And the wind should be going the direction we want.

weath.jpg

What day and time do you think you'll launch this?

Looks like we're going to have some cloud cover this weekend but should be dry with moderate winds.

I hope to get my 3/4 scale Nike Smoke in the air this weekend on an N3500 Red. Modified the AV bay to accommodate the Missile Works Rtx system.

Anyone else showing up this weekend?

Saturday had a lot of good flights. Tom with a massive, 20' tall thing. Scott and his 2/4 Nike Smoke. Nathan was there with everything he owns. I got two off, one over a mile high and one just under. At least one successful level 1 cert, and one failed. every impulse class from A to N. A very good day.

Today has been rainy, so I don't know if anyone got anything off.

I got there at about 11 am today. The rain was supposed to end at 1 pm so I thought they might wait it out but when I got there they were just leaving. They said that 2 rockets got off in the morning before the rain started.

By the time I got home to Fredericksburg this afternoon it was 65 degrees and sunny down here.

A school team got there about 9:30 and flew to 2,000', that's right where the ceiling was. We knew the rain was coming and the high winds were suppose to hang around and even get worse as the day went on so we broke things down. Visibility on the bay bridge was a mess on the way home.

Finally got a chance to fly the Missile Works Rtx system. Worked well, just need to remember to adjust the audio off in the settings.

Nike Smoke N3400 RNR.jpg

Want to thank Tom & John for help loading and recovering the Nike Smoke. Was a great flight to 5,400'

If anyone has any pictures I'd love to see them.

Scott

Did Pete get any video? And, you're welcome. I had a blast riding around with Tom, onboarding and recovering the "big boys!" :)

Do you have to be a member of MDRA to launch at their events?

Kids launch free! Adults need to join and sign the waiver. $25 for a year, plus $10 (usually) flight fee per weekend.

LDRS (April 6-9) is a Tripoli-sponsored launch, and any member of the NAR or TRA can launch for a $60 registration fee. TRA members L2 and up can launch EX motors.

Spectating is always free, so come out and see what the hullabaloo is all about before shelling out any cash.

ESL 225 is this weekend, 3/11-12 at the Higgs Farm.

I plan on being out there on Saturday. If I don't fly I will at least be shooting photos. I've been to one of the MDRA launches already.

I will be there Saturday, my plan is to launch my L3 project on a L1355 for a test flight. That's a 7 kg cat for reference.

IMG_2651.jpg

I am going the opposite direction after this, short squat rockets with multiple motors with air-starts for effects.

Back