MDRA ESL 223 Jan 14 &15

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott S

Reaction score
ESL 223 is the 9th annual Christmas Tree Launch, who's bringing out some holiday goodies to fly? Just took our tree down and plan to fly her on a K900 Blew Poo Ex motor.

If the weather cooperates I hope to get my 3/4 Scale Nike Smoke up on a N2900 Redneck Red. I hear Tom Cohen and company plan on putting the Patriot up on a N motor as well.

See you at the field, Scott

Since Battlepark and MDRA are on the same weekends EVERY MONTH THIS WINTER I'll be going to Battlepark on Saturday and then MDRA on Sunday. So I'll be there Sunday and I have a small tree to fly on a J425. Weather permitting I also plan to fly my Formula 150 on a L820 Skidmark and my newly repainted Frenzy XL probably on a J360.

I plan on bringing my tree on Saturday. Hopefully flying it on a K610 skidmark from AWM.

Got an email that the full-scale Patriot is going up on Sunday on an N5600. Also, AMW will be in warmer climes for February and March, so ppl may want to stock up for those launches.

The Patriot will launch this weekend at Higgs Farm..
N5600 to 1800'.
Pad weight 220 pounds

Robert DeHate after building the rocket in 2010...

Patriot.jpg

M6400 VMAX last year

13301466_10206997509473015_9013835207532772478_o.jpg

I'll be there, but I don't know if I'll be prepping any rockets considering the weather forecast. Second month in a row with wintry mix on launch weekend. :(

Got to show up and buy motors, though.

Given the current weather predictions, how likely is the launch to happen? Is it worth it to drive down on Friday given the snow that is predicted for Saturday?

Right now things are really iffy. It is always a crapshoot on Maryland's Eastern Shore. I remember one time I was driving to Higgs in February. Weather.com said 0% chance of precip. Not 0.1% or 0.005%, but 0%. Can't possible have precipitation!

When I got there, it was snowing so badly I almost couldn't see. I turned around and went home (one hour plus drive).

Weather.com and Weather Underground have varying predictions. Honestly, it may or may not snow! Anyone's guess. Best thing to do is check as many forecasts as you can Friday night, and decide accordingly.

That weather station is right at the foot of the Bay Bridge, Price is ~20 miles away. It is not uncommon for the cloud deck to be really low over the bay this time of the year. Remember its the eastern shore wait a few minutes and the weather will change.

Yeah. I just use that because it's the closest I can get to seeing cloud cover for that side of MD. But you're right. Bottom line is: none of us will know what it's going to do until we get there.

I'll be there, but I don't know if I'll be prepping any rockets considering the weather forecast. Second month in a row with wintry mix on launch weekend. :(

Got to show up and buy motors, though.

I still have my Formula 150 prepped with the L820 Skidmark that I assembled for last month when we had an ice storm.

wunderground is still giving a good forecast for sunday.
Partly cloudy skies. High 42F. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph.

500'...have any of the trees gone over 50? :)

Oh, yes. There was this lovely flight:

[video=youtube;UOaA3VLYg10]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOaA3VLYg10[/video]

And I distinctly remember a DeHate flight going waaaaaaay up there a couple of years ago.

I also here there is a large wreath going up on a 75mm motor of some type...

Sunday looks quite good, actually. Warm enough, and low winds all day. Partly cloudy.

I could see the wreath working a lot like a ufo style, that might be a pretty successful flight.

We only had a 1500 foot ceiling but we still managed to fly an M motor today. Tom had a perfect flight of his tube fin rocket. Altitude was perfect, the rocket started to backslide exactly when the nosecone was starting to disappear into the clouds.

Should be a good day of flying tomorrow. The field is in good condition even with the rain we got today.

If your coming out, please remember to park on the left side of the road. Also remember AMW will not be attending the Feb or March launch so be sure to come out and stock up on supplies.

See you at the field, Scott

I've got my little tree ready to fly on a J425. It has a 32:1 thrust/weight ratio so it's going to go somewhere fast. Hopefully up.

32273766906_f27df3ea76_b.jpg

Well, it was up and left. Great flight for "Oh, Holy Crap!" yesterday.

I've got my little tree ready to fly on a J425. It has a 32:1 thrust/weight ratio so it's going to go somewhere fast. Hopefully up.

32273766906_f27df3ea76_b.jpg

Tell me more! Tell me more! Was Sunday a good launch day? Did the Patriot get up on an N? Any exciting tree launch stories?

Back