McMenu: Do-It-Yourself McDonald’s Restaurant Recipes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
My Hunt for the Original McDonald’s French-Fry Recipe
Veteran line-cooks, experts, and die-hard fans tell the story of the fries that birthed an empire, then disappeared—until now.
23 Nov 2020

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/original-mcdonalds-french-fry-recipe
From Julia Child to Paul Bocuse to James Beard, some of the biggest names in food history are also people who have professed their love for the same french fry—a french fry that, in no exaggerated manner, birthed an empire. A french fry that no one has eaten in more than 30 years.

McDonald’s original french fries were cooked in beef tallow. For that fact, they were bullied out of production by a well-funded, well-intentioned businessman and self-proclaimed health advocate named Phil Sokolof, who unknowingly dethroned what many fans claim was the greatest french fry to ever meet mass production. “The french fries were very good,” Child said in a 1995 interview, “and then the nutritionists got at them … and they’ve been limp ever since … I’m always very strong about criticizing them, hoping maybe they’ll change.”

Child never lived to see McDonald’s fries return to their former glory, and sadly, and there’s no indication they ever will. That’s why I set out on a quest to find the original recipe.

My hunt for the lost McRecipe took me up the corporate ladder and to obsessive corners of Reddit. I spoke to fast-food experts, super-fan museum curators, and a 79-year-old former employee of the very first McDonald’s. After weeks of digging, I procured a recipe for the original fries that one fast-food historian believes to be the real deal, one I recreated several times to ensure its legitimacy. I sweat over hot tallow, bled from cutting perfect shoestrings, and literally got pulverized salt in those wounds. But according to at least one expert, I have reason to believe the recipe I’ve uncovered is authentic.

McMenu: Do-It-Yourself McDonald’s Restaurant Recipes

Recipes based on the old McDonald’s production methods of the 50's, 60's, and 70's. These recipes are what made McDonald’s famous!

https://www.beneboy.com/mcmenu.pdf

Lately, I've only been going there for their quick breakfasts. I like their coffee.

Check if you have a mexican grocery store close to you. Mexican coke is made with real sugar, not corn syrup.
...or stock up in March/April, when the KP (Kosher for Passover) Coke is available. That too is all sugar, since corn is not KP. I admit I don't know if it's distributed in all areas, but around here, come that time of year it's the only kind of Coke you can find in the stores for a few weeks.

Back