McMaster have revised their website - now need to 'log in'

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
Well, this was a surprise today.

Being a Mechanical designer, I use McMaster's website pretty much daily to get specs & fits for parts. Their site is likely the best resource for mechanical parts out there!

I typically search for the part I want (such as: Dog point 1/4-20 x 3/8" long set screw) and click on the blue part No. hyperlink, then click "product details", and I'm taken to a pretty decent product details page, complete with a PDF drawing of the part in question.

Today, this afternoon, I'm met with a 'Please log in' to get this info! (I can still download a 3D file of eh part, but can't get any other info..) WTF?

So (damn it!!) another web site that now needs your contact info to get simple info.. and another password to remember..

I guess it was inevitable.. Maybe I'll soon be able to upload pics of my design / build to their [soon to be announced] social media stream..

If you've ever ordered from them, you more than likely already have an account. I do. Honestly, they're not the cheapest but they have nearly everything under the sun and the info is worth the cost of a free account.

You need an account anyway so you can keep track of your purchases, it makes it a lot easier when you go to reorder.

Got hit with this yesterday as well. I needed to have purchasing order up some set screws (also a designer) and I had to log in. I was mildly annoyed. I have a corporate account and a personal account so I have logins, but its annoying to need to login to see the product page for a part.

My other grievance / annoyance to this (requiring a log-in) is that just about every website that sells something wants your contact info. You then start getting marketing e-mails from them.. And sometimes a call.. And there is the few other e-mails from 3rd parties. Not too bad if are fairly new, lower on the totem pole, etc... But some of us can get in excess of 50, 75 or 100+ e-mails in a day.. Just more 'garbage' we don't need!

I've had one or two times, where I've had to fill this out, in order to get details, to make a decision. (Their datasheets / catalogues are behind this 'wall'..) We make our decision. Then the sales guy calls asking if they can help more, then offering deals, then .... All I wanted to know was how long /big / impedance of your widget.. Yours doesn't fit...

Last edited:
I keep getting emails from one potential vendor and yesterday I finally replied to them saying "Please do not email me again. Your domain has been added to our blacklist."

And yeah, I 1000% agree with you. You sign up to get access for specs for Festo, SMC, Nord, etc parts. Then you get calls from morons that don't know jack, asking you about potential usage, wanting to come in to visit, etc. I plainly tell them "I HAVE NO TIME FOR YOU!!!" They don't understand why I get testy about it. They don't understand I am an engineer, not in sales. I don't get paid by the call!

it used to be an issue to call / send stuff, long distance & stamps costs.

But no longer do we "mail" anything, and calls are typically 'unlimited long distance' now. (And e-mails can be sent by the thousands in a milisecond!)

Conversely, when you call the vendor, they don't return your call.

Vendors are always asking me - "How do I get you to spec my pumps, process controls etc?" The answer is always the same - when I call, pick up your phone. I have multiple sources for most things, and when I need information, the first vendor that answers my call usually gets the sale.

Hmm I just checked on McMaster and I can still hit the product detail pages without logging in...hope you haven't been singled out for special treatment! Or maybe the change has been reversed since OP on Wednesday.

LOL, I'M the "purchasing dept."... and R&D, Production, Shipping, and Accounting...
I used to be too!!

and when I was, I was conscious enough to look elsewhere (and local: in Canada) for cheaper & to be the intended regular supplier!

McMaster is great for reference & RnD, as the parts (ordered before 4pm EST) will be on your doorstep the next day (even to Canada). But you pay for that. (and they know 50% will leave McMaster as the prime source / supplier!)

If you've ever ordered from them, you more than likely already have an account. I do. Honestly, they're not the cheapest but they have nearly everything under the sun and the info is worth the cost of a free account.
I have a warehouse 10 miles from my house. I've made about 10 trips there in the last two months. I keep finding parts for my builds on their website...

Back