McCoys Micro Wonderworks

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratchet01

Reaction score
Since Mr Micromeister sadly passed and Yahoo Groups were discontinued, does anyone have these fun little templates?
Usual story of the old bluescreen of death on my prior computator, and royally screwing up the data retrieval process.
It would be VERY nice to have these archived somewhere on this forum.

I agree, he did a great job to advance the Micro Maxx world.
I have some of his templates if I can find them.

I have zero help, but agree that he was a great forum member. I think he was active on Rocketry Planet too, but to be honest that was years ago and maybe I'm remembering the previous vs. current TRF implementation. Either way, he was an awesome contributor.

Has anyone checked the wayback machine archives?

Sandy.

So is there going to be a certain place to download McCoys plans or are we going to use this thread to download them to?

So, the full hyperlinked index is 20 times the maximum permitted length of a single post on the forum...

For the time being I've posted it here:
https://rocketshipgames.com/tmp/zog43.html
I have not made any attempt yet to identify specifically the MMX entries other than the post above w/ a readily titled subset.

There are two major caveats to this index:
  • The PDF index, and therefore this index, only covers 1965--2007 but there are many subsequent issues up through 2020.
  • Volumes 7--21, covering 1971--1999, are not available online and thus not linked here.
The first point in particular means there are probably a lot of MMX plans/articles that are not indexed.

Mods explained to @Angie who Micromeister was, and provided the context to understand what this thread is asking, and her reply was she's sure we can work something out.

We could potentially a) create one long sticky thread where design can be posted, b) create a new sub forum, perhaps under the MMX forum where people could post designs. The challenge would be to have a place where designs could be posted, and accessed/downloaded, without creating a lot of extra work for the mods to clean up stuff that doesn't belong there.

We're open for suggestions.

What do y'all think?

An archive page like JimZ plans would be best with a page of download links to each plan, but obviously more work for moderators to create and update since these might be collected from various contributors/sources initially. Any user contributed thread will likely be a tad bit less organized.

An archive page like JimZ plans would be best with a page of download links to each plan

I agree. A sticky post or thread is problematic to maintain over time since the original posters or admins need to edit, and has limited organizational structure. A sub-forum has no organizational structure whatever. Collecting plans and notes is a great use case for a wiki or similar, such that anybody can add entries and/or help curate and organize them. Like JimZ's pages but open to (more or less) anybody to edit, and with additional organization. E.g., there could be listings by type (glider, etc), designer/vendor, primary diameter, etc..

Separate from this thread I've thought off and on it might be neat to have a page w/ links to basic resources for micro-rockets. Putting those lines of thought together, tonight I registered https://microrockets.net/. If there's any interest from the group here I can install MediaWiki or WordPress and create some basic organizational pages that people can then join in to fill in, extend, and maintain over time.

All that said, there is a lot of value in resources that are collected and maintained within a community's root framework. Not least of these is continuity over the long run. Individuals move on in one way or another more easily than groups. Mitigating against the consequent loss of a resource can trump other considerations, even the basic appropriateness of the associated toolset. A TRF sub-forum or sticky thread might not be ideal organizationally, but it's also unlikely to disappear anytime soon or without warning. So I'm also not opposed to efforts solely within the forum here.

Honestly, no. And, now that Lent has begun, I'm really busy. Someone please nudge me occasionally.

I was rather hoping that there would be more input/responses/interest in this thread. A high level of interest and participation is the thing that "sells" the owners on investing time and resources. We've nearly lost the MMX forum entirely (more than once) for what they perceive as a lack of interest/traffic.

Personally, I'd love to see a wiki, or a blog format, or something that would better suit this idea, as well as the gallery but I don't know if that's even possible. An even bigger issue is that even if it is possible, who the heck is going to organize, care for, and oversee it? We almost lost the gallery section when John Lee fell off the map for a while because no one was there to maintain it (and it's still a bit of an untended garden).

I'm very interested in MicroMaxx, John! So I'd really like to see John's stuff preserved. Should we send Angie an email asking for this or what would you suggest?

I'm TRYING to de-cypher the Internet Archives' "metadata" stuff,but it's just jibberish to me.

<snip> We've nearly lost the MMX forum entirely (more than once) for what they perceive as a lack of interest/traffic.
</snip>
I mostly lurk here, but still enjoy the content, hope it sticks around! While I don't fly many MicroMaxx, they certainly are fun, and way cheaper than flying my MPR/HPR birds!

Back