Mb1

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
Heres some pics of my MB1 (mach Buster 1). I just took them, so they didnt go in the review on EMRR.

A little info on the rocket:

it has a 36" long glassed phenolic 38MM tube, a PML urethane cone, ACME fin can, MMHPR chute (of course. All my rockets do:D ), tubular kevlar shroud line, and of course the 38MM motor mount. It flies on F20s-J570s, and can do mach 1.75 on a J.:cool:

Shoot. I have to resize the pics. Ill post those in a moment...

Almost like we were just discussing this rocket;)

Heres the first pic. It has our new 720 casing and the Mach Buster in it:cool:

Heres the fincan! This is what adds a lot of weight to the rocket...

And heres the launch lugs. They are ACME extended .25" lugs for 1.5" tubes.:cool:

She looks real nice, Neil!

I, personally, would NOT get the 38/720 casing anywhere CLOSE to that rocket! That casing is almost a quarter of the length of the rocket! :eek:

I will do some crazy things...but that's just a little over the top.

Jason

Oh, it proabably wont fly on that untill I get to Black Rock....:D The case is for my dad's L2;)

IHmmm... I should post photos of my lastest incarnation of "Kick Me" when I get home, along with the brand shiny new case I bought for it...

Suffice it to say for now that it's a 4 ft rocket with a 2.5 ft motor case in it... J1500 anyone? :D I should try to squeeze it in at BALLS...

I seem to *recognize* that paint scheme from some where Neil:D ;) i can see y you like it to...
sweet rocket, may we see it at LDRS?

Neil,

If you want to get this thing moving to supersonic velocities, you have a couple of configuration features that will cause a lot of drag and that you need to change. They are relatively easy to fix.

The first one is those launch lugs. For a subsonic rocket, they are fine. To go supersonic, you want to be as clean (aerodynamically) as possible. Remove the lugs. Use a set of beams, rods, tubes, or whatever to construct a 'tower' and guide the rocket for the first few feet without those draggy protruberances.

The second one is the forward-facing edge on your fin can. That 'step' in body diameter could cause as much drag as the entire rest of the rocket. Again, to attain supersonic flight you will probably need to clean up every possible feature. That edge really needs to be hidden behind the back end of the airframe tube. Since you are already built, you could at least add a fairing in front of the step (extending maybe 2-3-4 inches ahead?) to smooth the airflow.

Good luck with your project!

Yeah, that fincans a problem... I knew the lugs would add a lot of drag when I built it... But what can you do. I might try to sand down the fincan a little, and maybe add a fairing. But otherwise, its gonna stay like that, I am afraid. It will still do mach on a J, though!:D

Yes, it will be at LDRS.:cool: :D

Originally posted by jetra2
She looks real nice, Neil!

I, personally, would NOT get the 38/720 casing anywhere CLOSE to that rocket! That casing is almost a quarter of the length of the rocket! :eek:

I will do some crazy things...but that's just a little over the top.

Jason

Ok Jason.. have to whip this pic out... Just when you think something is WAY too extreme...

54mm Estes Big Daddy... flew three times... Kosdon I-120, I-150, and J-340.
Recovered all three times, no damage aside from a broken launch lug.
I think the most extreme thing I've ever seen was Jim Cornwell flying Kosdon's debut of the L3000 in a 54mm Minimum Diameter bird called "SafeCracker" It was flown at Balls, and was never seen or heard from again... :D

bigdaddy_mmt.jpg

Originally posted by jetra2
I, personally, would NOT get the 38/720 casing anywhere CLOSE to that rocket! That casing is almost a quarter of the length of the rocket! :eek:Jason

You need the motor to be at least 1/2 the length of the rocket :D
These were flown at LDRS 10 in 1991 with the shown L750 motors.

Originally posted by Rocketjunkie
You need the motor to be at least 1/2 the length of the rocket :D
These were flown at LDRS 10 in 1991 with the shown L750 motors.

Those L750's are sweet motors... Vulcan Systems made them. To bad you can not get them anymore :(... I got my L2... and no more L750 black smoke belching L motor!

Post 1994 - The year I got my ham radio License (hense the n3tjm). That reminds me... I have to renew it this year...

Hey David... YES! Call Frank and tell him you want the long 6 grain 38... I flew the first one at Springfest 2000...It works out to something like a K1200 or something...and that's with all SLOW propellant! :eek:

Ron

my god these rocckets are crazy. Dave, that rocket is going to rip, I love the kosdon case too btw

Originally posted by AZ_Ron
It works out to something like a K1200 or something...and that's with all SLOW propellant!

Excellent... does he have it in Fast or his Aluminized? :D I'll take four... what a cluster THAT would be in a 4" rocket!

Frank Kosdon is still in business ?

I thought his company wasn't around anymore, or bought by AMW ?

Do you have a web address for him ?

Many thanks,

Originally posted by Blue_Ninja_150
One thing i can say:

Yowza.

How high, how fast?

The 3 that we launched were visually tracked to between 17,000 and 19,500 feet. Estimates of velocity from simulation software (ALT4, Rocsim didn't exist then) indicated mach 1.8.

Originally posted by Silverleaf
Frank Kosdon is still in business ? Do you have a web address for him ?

LOL Frank and the internet in the same sentence... hooo that's a good one :p

Frank is technologically in the stone age. You can give him a call, though... I don't remember his phone #, I'll dig around and find it. Ron, do you have it?

Hey David, where is the chute supposed to go?:kill: ya might need to extend it just a bit.:p

Since everyone is showing off their Mach rockets, i will have to go take a pic of Terminal Velocity! Its 66" long and can take up to a 7500ns M2400. Primary goal is to take the L altitude record on an L1120W though. Will do 22,000 on the L, and 35,000 on the M:D

Yow.

Im gonna try to build 29mm, 24mm, 18mm, and 38mm mach busters. Worked up a sim the other night of a 24mm one that would go mach 2 on a G200. Too bad they dont have those anymore.

Originally posted by Blue_Ninja_150
Yow.

Im gonna try to build 29mm, 24mm, 18mm, and 38mm mach busters. Worked up a sim the other night of a 24mm one that would go mach 2 on a G200. Too bad they dont have those anymore.

The G200s in my magazine are 29 mm..
Vulcan did make a 24 mm G210 though and a 29 mm G500 :D

Back