May ROSCO launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocketmaniac

Reaction score
May ROSCO launch will be this weekend...... May 8th and 9th........

The weather looks like it will pretty good....... Partly sunny to sunny with highs in the lower 90s...... I just hope the winds still down.........

The main event (at least as far as I am concerned) is the "Tour de Deuce"!!!!!!!!!! I am already getting nervous.......... I think I am more nervous about launching these two rockets than I was for both my L1 and L2 flights:eek:

anyway....... Come join us.........

i want to make it but i don't know. gas is 1.79 today! $25 gas, $10 registration, $20 H242.

i did just buy some C6-5s so we can drag our Dueces if i make it. and i would like to see my Destination: Tree on one of the F12's i have left. and then there's the 3 pack of F25's.
maybe.
hopefully i'll see you there. don't launch the TdD too early, i won't be there before 12 or 1.
if not, have a great time and make sure you get those igniter leads twisted together tight;)

Originally posted by Adam Selene

if not, have a great time and make sure you get those igniter leads twisted together tight;)

Or, there is a dual lead whip clip in the packaging to be used. Good luck! Make sure the plug is in there good!

eugene, should we talk about everything that could go wrong, just to make randy even more nervous?

I'll be there with the 54mm Tres but I haven't found a third Pro54 rear closure. Hopefully someone at the launch will have one, both Performance and Magnum are out. I'll also have the 54 mm Deuce but I wasn't planning on flying it. My 7.5" Nike Smoke will fly on a M1419 for the Savannah Science Seminar and their sponsors, VeriSign.
The students will be flying I motors with eggs and altimeters.

Very Cool! I'm excited to hear how it goes! Good luck Randy!

Oh, please use the clip whip! Thanx ;) :p

Jason

Originally posted by Adam Selene
should we talk about everything that could go wrong, just to make randy even more nervous?

nervous? me nervous? You better believe I am!!!!!! I get through this, L3 will be nothing!!!!!

Yes, I plan to use the clip whip....... When I was at Whitakers last month and could not get my Warthog to launch using a copperhead, Ken from Performance sold me a small ignitor ($1.57).... Should I use a pair of these to launch each Deuce?

Originally posted by Rocketmaniac
nervous? me nervous? You better believe I am!!!!!! I get through this, L3 will be nothing!!!!!

Yes, I plan to use the clip whip....... When I was at Whitakers last month and could not get my Warthog to launch using a copperhead, Ken from Performance sold me a small ignitor ($1.57).... Should I use a pair of these to launch each Deuce?

Nah, just carefully handpick two Estes ignitors. Make sure the tips are well coated and the filaments leading to the pyrogen aren't close together. You'll be alright Randy! Don't worry about them flying improperly. I had fun rebuilding! :eek: (Ok, I crash enough of my own rockets. Crashing the Deuces isn't fun!)

Originally posted by dmorey
As usual, if you can identify any rockets, please speak up.

Dave, some great pics you got there!!!!!

DSC00545, pic 28 of 36 is one I launched. It's the Tour de Duece #1 taking off on 2 C6-5s.........

I'll look them more later and see if I can identify others.

It was great having you at our launch, please come down again

Here's a pic of me and Robert (our Hybrid expert) getting my Expeditor ready for flight.......

On Sunday I took two 15 year old boys who live near me to their first rocket launch....... Both had a total blast..........

Bobby our Senior Advisor let the boys launch a couple of his rockets........ Here's a pic of Bobby (on the right) helping Jeff get the G-Force ready to fly on a G40.......

Jim reminded me that I didn't write a launch report, so here it is (with the TRF down on that weekend I totally forgot to write a complete report...)

I arrived at our "sod farm" around 11:00am to find a bunch of cars and trucks already there. A lot more than normal. Were they there to see SC Tour de Deuce??? LOL. Well some were, but most of the new or extra people were there for the yearly "Savannah Science Seminar". By the end of the day, these kids had racked up a lot of great flights.

I had set up my "pop-up" sun shade and was starting to unpack when I saw that Mark Canepa, photographer and writer for Extreme Rocketry was parked two trucks down from me........ I told him about the "Tour de Deuce" and he quickly came over and asked a lot of questions...... He took some notes and said he was going to write an article about the Savannah Science Seminar and would include the "Tour de Deuce" in his article!!!!!!!! Now how cool is that.......

I quickly prepared both Deuce and began making plans to launch them. But I wanted to get our local "camera" man, Rocketjunkie to take pictures, as my digital camera would not do justice to this big event. I found Tom, but he was busy. He "had" to fly a "M" motor for the Savannah Science Seminar. (the science seminar gets company sponsors and to re-pay the rocketeers that help these kids, a "M" motor is purchased to be flown at the launch) It must be terrible to "have to" fly a big motor like that.

Once on the pads, we had some minor electrical problems and we actually launched Deuce #2 first. Great boost, both motors lit just fine, great flight. A while later, the same was true for Deuce #1.

The day ended with a lot of great flights. I am sure we had well over 100 flights, maybe 150. When I got home, I packed both Deuces back in their box and prepared to ship them off to Minnesota. I ended up delaying the shipping for few days so I could add something from SC to the box......

Back