Maximum speed for Aerotech Strong Arm?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikebpd221

Reaction score
I'm finishing up an Aerotech Strong Arm that was assembled with a few deviations from the instructions for higher power 29mm motors. I fiberglassed the airframe and used an extended motor tube so it can accept a 29-360 case with room to spare. The other build materials were left stock although I used rocketpoxy instead of CA for most of the assembly. Everything went together well but I'm left with one performance question that OpenRocket is not going to be able to answer. Is there a maximum velocity the Aerotech fins are able to stand before they shred? My sim says it can do just under 600 mph with a maximum impulse load but that does not account for fin flex and potential material failure. I'll be starting on small field motors and will only reach half of that speed, but I'm not sure where the upper limit lies. If someone has some experience with how far this design can be pushed, I'd appreciate the insight so I can avoid a predictably unsafe flight profile.

I don't know about the Tomahawk/StrongARM fins but the 2.6" nosecone and HV Arcas fins went over Mach 2 when used with a minimum-diameter model powered by an AeroTech 54mm K900 motor. The model was recovered and the Arcas fins showed signs of leading edge melting.

Back