• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Maxi Rod needed!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketman

Reaction score
Has anyone got an estes maxi rod that I can buy? I've been looking around for them, but the cheapest i can find is £15.99 :y: (pretty expensive for a metal rod :eyepop: ). If anyone can sell me one cheaper, please tell me!

It's just 3/16" metal rod - you should be able to buy lengths of it a LOT cheaper at your local hardware store.

It's just 3/16" metal rod -

equivalent to 5mm diameter steel rod

(the 3/16 converts to 4.76mm but most of the launch lugs are slightly oversize and are easily compatible with a full 5mm rod)

advantages of buying your own rod locally:

1) no "Estes" joints to snag rockets (or to break when someone bumps the rod)
2) almost certainly available in greater lengths (like a full meter, or 39 inches) than the Estes rod; the shorter Estes rod (31 inches?) does not give your rocket as much time to get to safe flying speed
3) it will be waaaaay cheaper
4) it will be waaaaay faster (than ordering one)
5) if Estes is still making them out of aluminum, a steel rod is better any day of the week and twice on Sunday

Last edited:
Estes 1/8 and 3/16 inch diameter rods are not aluminum and have not been for many years. They are indeed too short.

The 3 part 1/4 inch diameter rod is aluminum.

In all the time I have been launching with my estes launch rods I have never had a model snag on the joints.If you take the time to find the best orientation to put them together nothing should snag on them or you can just sand or file down the edges on the parts that go together to smooth out the joint a bit.They are a bit short but you can't beat the easy of storage and transport of break apart rods.

The many times I have used those Estes launch rods and not one time I can ever pull them apart. I must be weak. Like others said, buy em at your local hardware store.

In all the time I have been launching with my estes launch rods I have never had a model snag on the joints.If you take the time to find the best orientation to put them together nothing should snag on them or you can just sand or file down the edges on the parts that go together to smooth out the joint a bit.They are a bit short but you can't beat the easy of storage and transport of break apart rods.

If someone made a reliable rod that actually came apart I might be interested. the Estes rods that I have had needed a hammer (or a sidewalk) to put them together and never came apart again. From the directions (I actually read them) it seemed like that was how it was supposed to be.

New, four foot, stainless steel rods are just about to the top of my shopping list.

[edit] I've also heard Online metals recommended by others on TRF though I haven't used them. Perhaps there is a similar company in the UK?

https://www.onlinemetals.com/

^ that is where I'll be buying my rod. Good thing I could drive over there and pick it up. :)

If someone made a reliable rod that actually came apart I might be interested. the Estes rods that I have had needed a hammer (or a sidewalk) to put them together and never came apart again. From the directions (I actually read them) it seemed like that was how it was supposed to be.
When I got my Electro-Launch pad way back in the stone age, I pinched the little connector pin on the launch rod together very slightly with a pair of pliers. The two halves of the rod still held together firmly, but I could pull them apart. That made it easier to transport the pad on my bike. :D

New, four foot, stainless steel rods are just about to the top of my shopping list.
Absolutely for me too. And longer!

[edit] I've also heard Online metals recommended by others on TRF though I haven't used them. Perhaps there is a similar company in the UK?

https://www.onlinemetals.com/
They had a fire earlier this year that took out one of their servers. They still had the web page up, but they couldn't take orders via the internet. But it looks like they are fully back online now. I have been checking this site for years. Great prices, and no minimum order.

MarkII

When order launch rods, consider buying a few shorter rods to match the different diameter launch rods you use. When I remember where I put them, they come in handy to check the alignment of launch lugs on rockets when I'm building them.

Also, aluminum angles are handy for drawing straight lines down tubes.

-- Roger

Last edited:
Back