Maxi Estes Scorpius

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fore Check

Reaction score
Fresh from painting and adding decals, I'm ready to show off my latest project.

It's a 266% upscale of the Estes kit #1375:

It's based on a BT80. The "engines" are T-2.04 with BT60's centered in them.

Here's a similar, yet more humorous view. Note the look of extreme enthusiasm on the slave laborer.

\Darth Vader voice\ "Impressive"... ;)

Looks real sharp FC. What's she flyin on?

The rocket is painted with BPS Tractor and Implement Enamel. The color is "Ford Gray." It was the lightest gray I could find.

The decals are Excelsior (excellent job again, Phred!)

The custom rings on the "engines" are from Rocketguts.com

The rods in the "engines" are Avia pultruded carbon graphite from Gone With the Wind kites. It's light, strong, is perfectly straight, and won't ever warp or rot. Also, it was the perfect diameter for my tube selections (0.180" OD.)

Here's a front view.

This one is set up on a 2 x 24mm cluster. I intend to fly it on 2 x E9-6's.

All of the tubes and rods are hand cut. All of the wood is 1/8" basswood.

Here's a side view.

And finally, my pair of upscales in my growing family of big starcruisers.

wow..very nice Forecheck !
heh,, it fits ,your son has "the evel sneer" when he's holding that bad boy !

well done.

DUDE! FORE CHECK!!!! THAT IS AMAZING, GORGEOUS, DROOL!

Sweetness! Absolutely drop-dead gorgeous!

Jason

WOW! VERY NICE Fore Check.

You're getting quite proficient at these BT80 Upscales. When are you going to start posting build pictures and hints so we can see the master at work?

....and don't forget the launch pictures....

John

Fore Check,

Those are absolutely stunning upscales! Well Done! Looking forward to the launch pics.

-Kitch

Very very impressive.

What's next???

I really wanna see some launch pics!

WOW!!!! I can't keep up. Awesome. I was thinking of just cloning the original, but now......

That is SWEEEEET! :cool:

Can't wait to see the launch pics...

Instead of dual E-9's how about a pair of AT E-30's? Now that would be a liftoff!

It was awfully cruel for the Forum to go down - I posted the pics last night and couldn't pull them up at all today at work!

I promise to post build pics on the next one... hehehehe

Very sharp looking rocket. Excellent work.
I'll have to go look up the original.

Man, That just looks GREAT. You have outdone yourself this time!!

Shameless plug: If anyone else wants to build this or another classic upscale, Excelsior can make the decals for you!!

Phred

Originally posted by astronboy
Man, That just looks GREAT. You have outdone yourself this time!!

Shameless plug: If anyone else wants to build this or another classic upscale, Excelsior can make the decals for you!!

Phred

And he does an awesome job!!!!

WOW!!! Awesome work FORECHECK!! YOU and KELLTYM88 are my BUILDERS OF THE YEAR!!!.....NOW would you guys somehow join forces and put out some KITS of these UPSCALES? :eek: I would buy them ALL!!!:D

Well, my plans to go launch this baby today have been scrubbed by a lawn that is now as tall as my knees (YIKES!) and an in-sink garbage disposer that decided it has had enough :)mad: :mad: :mad: I ain't no little guy, and I hate plumbing. Now I gotta crawl in the cabinet under the sink and remove it to see what's got it locked up. :mad: :mad: :mad: )

EDIT: The InSinkErator is fixed. Easier than I thought... Would you believe it was a dad-gummed DIME that was wedged in their locking things down?!? ACK!! :mad:

Then it's out of town vacation next week (including the weekends that bookend it.) So, it will be at least 3 weeks before we get to fly the Scorpius.

Thanks for the kind words! I *am* pretty proud of it.

Well that's a shame, but we'll all be anxiously waiting.
Hey, my grass gets tall sometimes too, but it helps provide soft landings for my rockets. ;)

Tim

Yet another reason why I voted this guy the TRF builder of the year. Simply beautiful!

So Fore Check, did I miss another post about your Scorpius? Did it ever fly?

Thanks, Pat

Originally posted by Fore Check

Thanks for the kind words! I *am* pretty proud of it.

I can see why you would be proud of it.....that is one great looking rocket.

Tucker(Keith)

Originally posted by huxley
So Fore Check, did I miss another post about your Scorpius? Did it ever fly?

Thanks, Pat

Not yet - I finished it in the winter time and never got a chance. Every time I thought I'd get to sneak off to the flying field, the weather went foul (either precipitation or too much wind.)

Now, I'm in the process of moving. Will probably be mid June before I even get to think about rocket launches. But I can't wait!

I think the Scorpius will be my first scratch build!?

I'm making an Andromeda now from a parts pack from Thrustaero. It has been quite an enjoyable experience! The next step for me is scatch building.

The Scorpius is a beautiful rocket and your's turned out exceptional (Atlantis too!)

Please keep us updated. Good luck!

Pat

Back