Maxi der Red Max Project

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKTurbo

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've gathered up enough parts to get started, so I thought I'd share a few pictures.

This will be a BT80 (1.59x) sized der Red Max. Some of the features are TTW fins, interchangeable motor mounts for single 24mm, 3x 24mm cluster, 2x 18mm cluster, and 3x 18mm cluster. It will also have a removeable baffle system.

I'm thinking about using either typing paper or maybe some Tyvec sheet to laminate on the 3/16" thick fins for extra strength.

The tubes and centering rings came from BMS. The cluster kits from FlisKits and ThrustAero. Balsa nose cone from Sandman. Decals from Fred/Excelsior Decals.

Excuse the clutter in the pics....I'm a slob. Just ask my wife :)

Originally posted by OKTurbo
I'm thinking about using either typing paper or maybe some Tyvec sheet to laminate on the 3/16" thick fins for extra strength.

So, why Tyvec?

Do you have a spare train-load of it laying around? Have you used it before, maybe? Can you tell us any pros or cons of Tyvec versus plain paper? Enquiring minds want to know!

I've used Tyvec laminated on balsa to make "blast tubes" for Free Flight rubber powered airplanes. It makes a Very tough structure.

Basically you get a Tyvec envelope and split it. Smear some thinned Elmer's white glue on one side and let it dry. Once dry, you can lay it on a sheet of balsa and iron it on.

The blast tubes are used to protect your model airplane when you wind up the rubber motor. If the motor breaks (WHAM!) it keeps the rubber bands from slinging back and destroying the model. (you stretch the rubber out when you wind it)

SO....I though it would be a good way to toughen up some rocket fins. Have you ever tried to tear a Tyvec envelope?

John

dislaimer: I haven't tried this yet on rocket fins. Your mileage may vary. I'll do a "test" fin tonight if the tornados aren't flying like last night. YEEE HAAW! Ain't Oklahoma great!

A couple of new pics as the build progresses.

Here is the fin can dry fitted w/ interchangeable motor mount.

Here are a couple of the motormounts. A single 24mm for D's. and a triple cluster of 24mm also for D's. I may set up one for a 3x cluster of E's...I'm just not sure if the rocket will take that much power though. I'm going to do another single 24mm to take an AT RMS case.

A single cluster of Estes "E's" is only like....an F27...more or less...

It could take it!

But really...a 2" Der Red Max is more of a "demo" bird...not a "now you see it now you don't"kinda thing.

If a Big Daddy (3" in diam) on an "E" is any indication she would be more than "impressive on a single "E" motor. Nice long burn!

Heck, check out the long burn motors at Apogee!!
https://www.apogeerockets.com/composite_motors.asp

Yea...they are on back order but Aerotech is making them!

(Oh man...an F10 with a 7.2 sec burn!!!)

Go with just the single "E" mount and use an adaptor for a "D".

My $.02!

sandman

I've thought about just putting in a single 24mm mount, but a big part of this build is just to see if I can do an interchangeable thing with it. It turned out to be more of a challenge than I thought. If this was a simple upscale DRM, I'd already be painting it.

I just wanted to test my skills and try something a little different. I think it will be fun to remove the single 24mm and plug in a 3x24mm cluster for when I feel a little "wild".....or when I'm flying in a bigger field.

I'll have to wait until I'm done and see how much this thing weighs before I try one of the long burn F10's. They have a pretty good 7.5lb punch off the pad, so they should work good if the rocket doesn't get too porky. Hopefully AT/Apogee will have these available againg soon.

I'm not sure how big of a chute I'll need either.

Thanks for the post. I wasn't sure if anyone was even paying attention to this.

John

I wasn't sure if anyone was even paying attention to this.

Of course I'm paying attention...I made the nose cone for it!

sandman

I glued up some parts today. Here's the progress....

Fin can assembly parts. The baffle is removeable for cleaning or replacement.

Here is the baffle in place. I had to make it fairly short to have room for the parachute/recovery system.

I still need to do a little trimming on the fin slots, but here is an overall shot. Looks like a big Red Max.....

The baffle comes back out thru the tail (aft) end. The motor mount module holds it in place against a forward centering ring.

Thanks for compliments. Hopefully I can get to paint it this week.

John

John,

Your Maxi DRM build looks great!! BT-80 based models offer lots of choices for clustering. Have you considered a 2 x E cluster? Can't wait to see it painted and finished. Very nice build!

Build a huge one....don't temp me! :)

Jim Flis has a 2x24mm cluster mount listed, but it's a future release. I guess I'll have to wait on that one, or get some custom centering rings from BMS. The motor mounts need to be BT70 size. Right now I'm set up for a single 24mm D or E size and a 3x24mm cluster. I also have a 2x18mm cluster mm kit, but I'm not sure if two C's will be enough for it.

This is why I went with the interchangeable motor mount. It gives me a lot of options.

John

Basically you get a Tyvec envelope and split it.

Interesting. The only Tyvec that I was familiar with is the big sheets of house-wrap stuff. Where do you find envelopes made from this stuff?

I am familiar with the airplane part you call a 'blast tube' because I have built a few myself. I used to just roll up some notebook paper to make a lightweight tube. Sounds like a Tyvec-reinforced balsa wrapped tube might take a direct hit from a 23mm HEI?

Some of those 8.5x11" overnight envelopes are Tyvec. I went to WalMart to find some but came up empty handed. I ended up just laminating some paper onto the fins with Mod Podge.

I used to save all the Tyvec envelopes I'd get at work, but my "stash" has run out.

The balsa/tyvec rolled blast tubes are VERY tough. The tyvec is also immune to the rubber lube, so they last a long time.

Perhaps they would have some at a store that specializes in shipping, such as Office Max/Depot or the UPS Store?

WW

You can buy Tyvec at a construction supply store (not Home Depot) It's a wrap for houses. It comes in a 4' wide by lifetime supply for rockets. They also make an adhesive one for wrapping windows...might be worth it to find that so you can just stick it to the fins. If you cant' find any - go to a construction/new home area, your sure to find a house being wrapped in Tyvec and some in the trash.

Edward

...Basically you get a Tyvec envelope and split it. Smear some thinned Elmer's white glue on one side and let it dry. Once dry, you can lay it on a sheet of balsa and iron it on....
DARN! I thought I was the first to use Tyvek to strengthen balsa!

I tried it first on the very pointy balsa nose cone that comes on ASP's RP-3. Then I used it on the fins just for fun. Except I don't iron it on-- I use a light coat of thin epoxy with a little silica fibers thrown in to make it tacky. I am using it now on my ASP Wac Corporal.

...Basically you get a Tyvec envelope and split it. Smear some thinned Elmer's white glue on one side and let it dry. Once dry, you can lay it on a sheet of balsa and iron it on....
DARN! I thought I was the first to use Tyvek to strengthen balsa!

I tried it first on the very pointy balsa nose cone that comes on ASP's RP-3. Then I used it on the fins just for fun. Except I don't iron it on-- I use a light coat of thin epoxy with a little silica fibers thrown in to make it tacky. I am using it now on my ASP Wac Corporal.

I didn't kno wit came in a sticky version-- I HAVE TO HAVE SOME! Where can I find that kind???

The decals are drying. Next is a coat of polish and she should be ready to rock-n-roll.

I think I'll try a F21 first :D

John

Back