Max Motor for a Performance Rocketry G3

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TDSapp

Reaction score
So, I have built my G3 and I am starting to make my plans on what to fly at LDRS.

I went to the Performance Rocketry site but it has no details or suggested motors on the site. Actually, it has nothing but prices and a comment that the site is being rebuilt and will be back up soon, and that appears to have been posted back in April.

Wildmans site says that the rocket will fly on H to Ls but there is not a suggested motor list there either.

I want to fly it on a K motor but was warned that a high impulse motor might rip the fins apart with flutter. They are 3/32” G10 glass and not the stiffest fins out there.

I was just wondering what motors others have flown the G3 on and how they handled it. I know that I could drop down to something like the K550 but I was thinking about a K805 Green. Has anyone flown the G3 on the K805? This is going to be my first AT motor in a long time due to personal issues I am trying to get over. :) I would hate to shred my rocket on this motor. (Not that I want to shred it on any motor...) I am just looking to see what others have done.

Tim

If you have done proper fin fillets & alignment,& nice beveled edge, I would feel comfortable flying anything you could fit in it.

Even a L-935 I-max or L-730 classic [flown this in one] went 12,800 something.

The 805 is a cake walk for the G-3 if you built it right.

I haven't flown mine on any K's yet, but I'm sure it'll be fine. I built mine with Crazy Jim and Wildman style injected fillets. I've flown it on a bunch of hard hitting J's, and had some hard landings and I haven't had any problems.

Biggest motor I've flown so far in my G3 was the CTI K400, went to 8300 ft and around 1000 fps. I agree with Jim; well-built it should be able to handle any 54mm motor.

I don't have one, but with the way PR kits are built, and with 3/32 G10, I'd feel pretty comfortable with just about any motor that fits. The 805 shouldn't be any trouble.

My G3 has flown three times, once on a J, twice on a K.

If you're worried about fin flutter, do a partial tip-to-tip layup. But, I rather doubt it's necessary, if the fins are firmly attached.

-Kevin

I wouldn't have a second thought about throwing in a L1400 and mine has come in flat a couple of times. Moves along on a K960.

It's a solid rocket.

Back