Matchbox Rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Green Jello

Reaction score
[video=youtube;WFyKgmnCF-8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFyKgmnCF-8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I made these years ago with directions from a generic Rocketry book ordered from the Johnson Smith Company.
They were no where near this complicated and didn't look as good - no fins.

These matchbox rockets look like they perform better than some of the heavier MicroMaxx rockets!

Cool. Might have to try if I get bored. Looks to out perform the paper match ones with pin holes in the sides of the foil for nozzles.

I've done it and it is fun for a bit.
I too think I learned about it in a Book. Backyard Ballistics maybe?

Backyard Ballistics has the paper match version. Could be an instructible out there for the wooden match?

Made some similar back in the late 60's early 70's pencil dia. with paper and Zn/S. Worked good.

Made some similar back in the late 60's early 70's pencil dia. with paper and Zn/S. Worked good.

Pencil diameter, yeah, I did that. The pencil I used to roll from paper with a coating of glue a motor/body tube with slowly decreasing length to create a tapered end to receive the nose cone: the tip of the sharpened pencil which also sealed the top of the motor tube. Confectioners sugar and powdered KNO3, no melting. Small fins at base. Quite a lot of fun.

I made the paper match ones, no fins and added two or three extra heads. Double and Triple Threat is what I called them. Got to heavy for distance.

My little brother and I used to do something like this when we were kids - we'd use the old white tipped strike anywhere wooden matches, place two head to head and wrap a small piece of foil around the two heads. Stick one match end in the dirt and hold a third lit match under the foil wrapped heads.don't remember how much distance we got (had to launch at about 45degrees in order to light them), but it was amusing for a couple of teenage pyros (aren't all teenage boys pyros to one degree or another? - especially chem and science nuts? ;) )

anybody have the pdf of the template ?? I tried a couple times to download it with no success ...

Back