Mass Hysteria

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kramer714

Reaction score
Nothing odd about this one except it has 17 motors on it!

My friend Dennis built this rocket some time ago, he has launched it a while back, great engineering and workmanship on the rocket.

The rocket has 14 D motors and 3 E motors for a total of 358 Ns making it a small I motor equivalent.

The ignition uses a flash pan with BP in it.

Should be fun!

DSCN1225.jpgDSCN1223.jpgDSCN1224.jpg

AWESOME!!!!!!:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
Can't wait to see a Launch Pic' or Video!!!

That is so cool. What's the diameter of the base tube? The rocket looks to be in great shape for having flown before. In my meager experience, large BP clusters are tough on the nether regions of a rocket, especially with flash pan or fuse ignition.

Yup, the motors are glued together with hot melt glue. The ends of the motors are plugged with epoxy, they are all -0 motors, no delay.

the base is 5" diameter.

The only problem with the rocket from previous flights is some zippering of the airframe from having too much BP on the ejection.

Yup, the motors are glued together with hot melt glue. The ends of the motors are plugged with epoxy, they are all -0 motors, no delay.

the base is 5" diameter.

The only problem with the rocket from previous flights is some zippering of the airframe from having too much BP on the ejection.

Hot Melt Glue? So what happens during the 0 Delay Ejection Sequence? Since the Glue has melted, do they all just blow out the back and separate?
I'm very curious as to how this all works.

-0 delay on Estes is no motor ejection or tracking smoke. These are the motors that are used for 2 stage rockets. If you don't plug the back, when they reach the end of the burn they will send burning propellant forward, not a good result in this case. The rocket uses electronics for ejection

I put a D12-0 in my Black Brant II once by accident. It ejected the Nose Cone while at full Speed. The Fins kept going up, and the Body, the Nose Cone and Shredded Chute' stopped dead in the Air.
That was a long time ago, and my only expeience with a 0 Second Motor, that's why I assumed the Pressure would force the Motors out the Back.

Back