Quantcast

masking tape

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Stewart32

Reaction score
Hey folks...

A popular motor mount construction technique calls for a wrap of masking tape to secure the motor clip in place. How long will this last. I know that after a long period of time masking tape tends to dry out and fine away. I can imagine that frequent use of a model would only accelerate this process as heat from engine would bake the adhesive.

So lately I have been splitting a short length of tube and glueing this in place as an alternate to tape. Anybody else do this?

Fore Check

Reaction score
Your method is probably more durable than tape.

I use radiator hose repair tape (it's like extra sticky, high-temp duct tape) and haven't had any issues.

Older Estes kits call for cutting out a paper "strap" and gluing that around the tube. I'm sure with enough glue soaked into the paper, this would be fine too.

I've started using a slip-over tube for 18mm mounts. I got a piece from BMS (also available from Totally Tubular) that slips over a BT20 (18mm mount tube) and holds the engine hook splendidly. Totally Tubular has just recently started selling one that slips over a BT50 (24mm mount tube) similarly.

In short, there are many methods - to each his/her own. If using the tape method, however, just pick a nice durable tape that will withstand the heat of a many launches.

sandman

Reaction score
I use nylon strapping tape. The kind that's just plain impossible to tear that's used for packages.

One wrap is plenty!

Get it at Wal-Mart, K-Mart, any drug store, any department store, any office supply, any dollar store...the post office!...you get my drift.

sandman

astrowolf67

Reaction score
Stewart, your method is perfectly fine, and will out last the masking tape by a long shot. The ones that I have taped, I smeared glue on top of the tape. Otherwise, I use an external ring, or as you have, a section of tube.

Rocketman35

Reaction score
I leave the motor clip out all together. Friction fit is the way to go in most low/mid power birds

flying_silverad

Reaction score
Originally posted by Rocketman35
I leave the motor clip out all together. Friction fit is the way to go in most low/mid power birds
....and, if at some point you think the tape is giving way to decay, start friction fitting

swimmer

Reaction score
Go to the hardware store and get some rubber "O" rings that will fit snugly around the motor and the motor clip. I use them all the time and never have had a motor eject. Would work great if the tape becomes brittle.

Stewart32

Reaction score
I have an 18mm RMS (on order) and plan to use it in "clip" mounts but am leary of ejection. I guess a wrap of tape around the clip and case would keep me from bitting my nails or is it overkill. Is the another technique for the small birds?

Gosh! I love this place!

Dr. Don

Reaction score
I have never had a rocket long enough to ever have an issue with the lifetime of masking tape, elmers glue, paint, bodytubes, motor mounts, parachutes, shockcords.....................
Masking tape is just fine!!!!
I found that if you wait long enough for your favorite Rocket- eating -tree to give up its grip on your rocket, all that you get back is the NOSECONE!!!!!
The one I retrieved today was the new adopted home of a frighteningly BIG spider ! Dr Don

doxiedog315

Reaction score
I have never had a rocket long enough to ever have an issue with the lifetime of masking tape, elmers glue, paint, bodytubes, motor mounts, parachutes, shockcords.....................:) TOOK THE WORDS RIGHT OUT OF MY MOUTH!

rbeckey

Reaction score
I am with Sandman. I use 1/2 inch packing tape on my mounts if they don't already have a slip over tube. The packing tape is very sticky and impossible to tear. I don't know how long it will last because I've never had any fail.

Latest posts