Masking Tape

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All I can add to this is I bought two rolls of Duck Tape brand blue tape...it's junk. The crap won't even stick to itself. Low tack isn't the word; it's no tack. Before I threw the 2 away I was using standard tape to hold it down... garbage.

I use the 3M blue tape any time I am masking a line I really want to come out clean. It is quite expensive so I ration it pretty tightly. But when you think about it, how many rockets do you really paint in a year? A couple dozen, maybe?

I find sometimes for really small detail masking in spots where you may be doing brush touchups, Scotch Magic Tape (the frosty tape, not normal 'scotch tape') works well, although I believe some types of paint will melt some kinds of cellophane or mylar tape.

For run-of-the-mill "masking tape" applications such as wrapping motors for friction fit, and also paint-masking on 'non-crucial' rockets where a teeny leak won't be a disaster, I use the cheapy tan tape (a buck a roll) from the bargain stores. 90% of the time, it works fine.

I am partial to the Gorilla tape brand for masking. It has that "paint block" which I thought was just a gimmick, but seems to work. For more detail I have rolls of 3M thin vinyl tape which does curves and any cut outs very well.

Hmmmmm, just to throw a little flammable liquid on the fire.
Went to Amazon, got an order of Tamiya tape 18mm x 18 meters for $5.00 with shipping (if my math is correct, certainly not guaranteed due to my last measurement of cubic yards of dirt, this comes out to 8 cents a foot.
Found some 3M® - Vinyl Fine Line Tape from Amazon 3/4" by 36 yards at $15.67 with shipping (again if I did it right about 14.5 cents a foot.) Found it at a local auto parts store for about the same.
So I think I'll try the Tamiya.

IIRC correctly, I think I read Tim Van Milligan's daughter did a presentation on the different tapes at a recent NARAM, and Tamiya came out on top.

Of course, now this will just remove another excuse I have for my crummy paint jobs........

Hmmmmm, just to throw a little flammable liquid on the fire.
Went to Amazon, got an order of Tamiya tape 18mm x 18 meters for $5.00 with shipping (if my math is correct, certainly not guaranteed due to my last measurement of cubic yards of dirt, this comes out to 8 cents a foot.
Found some 3M® - Vinyl Fine Line Tape from Amazon 3/4" by 36 yards at $15.67 with shipping (again if I did it right about 14.5 cents a foot.) Found it at a local auto parts store for about the same.
So I think I'll try the Tamiya.

IIRC correctly, I think I read Tim Van Milligan's daughter did a presentation on the different tapes at a recent NARAM, and Tamiya came out on top.

Of course, now this will just remove another excuse I have for my crummy paint jobs........

The problem is you are buying retail. I buy 3M 471 tape wholesale. Last purchase was ~20 roles of this size, 1/2", 500 yards. My cost is like a penny or two a foot.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1399236725.270160.jpg

Back