Masking tape pulled off a bit too much of cardboard tube inside, how to fix?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tibbe

Reaction score
I put a bit of masking tape inside the top of the cardboard tube while painting, to avoid getting paint on the inside "lip", which could interfere with the nose cone. When I pulled it off it took parts of the carboard tube with it. Now the cardboard surface on the inside is a bit "rough" or "burred". I'm worried about two things:

• The nose cone is now way too lose. I could probably fix this with tape on the nose cone.
  • Since the inside tube cardboard is now less smooth I'm worried it will peel more or degrade more quickly.

Is there a way to reinforce the cardboard just a bit? Could I e.g. brush on some sanding sealer and then sand it down to close the fibers? I have some epoxy that I can brush on the surface but the 30 minute kind I have is still a bit "flexible' when it cures so it wouldn't feel like a hard "laminated" surface. I'd rather not buy a whole new epoxy set just to fix this.

Carefully soak the area in Thin CA. Let dry fully. Sand with 150-220 grit paper to knock down the high spots.

I tend to seal both ends of cardboard tubes with Thin CA before starting a build...helps seal and strengthen the ends a bit.

The area is a bit larger. Perhaps 0.6-0.7 inches all around the inside perimeter. That's a lot of CA! I'm thinking of trying sanding sealer unless someone tells me that's a bad idea. :)

Sanding sealer will likely work just fine; though I'd venture to say...take more (drying) time, and offer less strength and/or a softer surface and area than Thin CA would.

A single drop of thin CA will wick into at least .25 inch round area. IE: I bet 4 or 5 drops would cover your area of concern. A small 1/2 oz bottle of Thin CA would run you a few bucks and last quite a while if you're using it in small areas. It's one thing I don't know if I could live without, honestly!:) Seal ends of tubes, strengthen balsa, harden tapped holes, tack this or that, etc. Innumerous uses for the stuff.

Either way, have fun!

I use the thin CA. I put a bead along the end of the tube so it soaks in and then about 3/4" wide along the inside of the tube. Just make sure you do this in a WELL VENTILATED area! I usually fire up the exhaust fan on my spray booth and do it in there. The CA fumes can be nasty, especially when using a lot like that.

BTW, I usually get my CA at the dollar store in 5 packs. The tubes tend to dry out if you don't use them all so I think cheap is better.

Medium CA, which is the stuff you’ll get in any hardware store, works fine and dandy for sealing the interior of body tubes.

Squeeze out a little pool on some non-reactive plastic (plastic baggies work great) and then dip and apply with a cotton swab. Sand with 400 grit when it’s dry.

Thin CA obviously works as well but is s bit more treacherous to work with (but fine if you’re careful).

Back