Masking off the fin can on a V2 rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjp

Reaction score
Have not done this type of painting in many years, this is my second Estes V2 I built,the first one is one color.This one has a metallic blue nose cone,gloss cherry red and the fins will have metallic black.I'm using up cans of paint I have on hand of my favorite colors and all the same brand.The hardest part is masking the fin can along the root edge of the fin and getting even lines.I think it starts with the proper tape and at this moment all I have is the blue painters tape.Looking to find a better choice.

Blue painters tape works pretty well - one trick is paint the entire rocket the base color, then tape off what you want , then spray with the same base color again (this seals the tape edge and allows any seepage that may occour to not be visable as it is the same color as the under paint) - then spray with desired color. :)
XxKnSJ6.jpg

Blue painters tape works pretty well - one trick is paint the entire rocket the base color, then tape off what you want , then spray with the same base color again (this seals the tape edge and allows any seepage that may occour to not be visable as it is the same color as the under paint) - then spray with desired color. :)
XxKnSJ6.jpg
Nice looking paint,the fin can is all one color just need to get even lines along the root edge.You had great results with blue painters tape so that gives me hope.If I'm at a big box store I'll pick up some Frog tape but I'm going to let my paint from yesterday sit upstairs for a few days before I try and mask things off.I'll post a picture of my current results.

I also spray a light coat of the base color to seal the tape edge just like CoachSteve described. Don't forget to get the tape down nice and tight before spraying. Press a dowel or other blunt object all along the edge, called burnishing. I've used Scotch magic tape and Tamiya modelers masking tape as well as the Blue with good results. Never used Frog tape but it should work using these techniques. Hope this helps.

maxi - V2 camo.JPG

IMG_2159.JPG

Using clear coat to seal the tape works too just a little trickier - clear paint can be tough to apply without getting a run and you have to make sure it’s compatible with the other colors.

I also spray a light coat of the base color to seal the tape edge just like CoachSteve described. Don't forget to get the tape down nice and tight before spraying. Press a dowel or other blunt object all along the edge, called burnishing. I've used Scotch magic tape and Tamiya modelers masking tape as well as the Blue with good results. Never used Frog tape but it should work using these techniques. Hope this helps.

View attachment 463793

View attachment 463794
I sanded the fins down after using a primer to smooth the surface.I can't remember ever masking all the fins before on any rockets.Have been in the hobby about 20 years but have been away the last 6 years.The boat tail fin can and shape of the fins makes this a challenge for my old skills.Thanks to all and keep posting pictures of your finished work.Thanks again,cjp.

IMHO,

The Tamiya tape or the 3M used for auto painting is far superior to blue tape.

If you want a seamless finish on your paint lines consider spraying with flat paint to reduce buildup of gloss on the lines. Spray clear gloss over all and you'll have a smooth gloss seamless finish.
3m-6404__1.jpg

Last edited:
Back