Masking Designs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigL

Reaction score
How do you mask designs on your rocket such as flames, letters, etc? I am looking for a job like Pinter75's flame rocket cam.

The two rockets I painted with flames. One was done by hand. I drew the flames with a pencil. Then I masked it off. With 3m tape used for doing just this. You can get it at any auto paint supply store. I used alot of paper to learn how to draw flames. Once I had the outside taped off. I painted the flames. Let the paint flash. And pull the tape off. Once that was dry. I sanded the flames down, With 800grit. Then I wiped it off with some Isopropyl Alcohol. wearing nitrile gloves. I taped the flames off useing the same tape. Once that was done I painted the rest of the rocket the main color. Let that paint flash. Pulled the tape off the flames. And clear coated the whole rocket. This was one of the hardest paint jobs I have ever done on a rocket. It was a 4" rocket about 10' tall. The other one I used what they call a paint mask, Made it real simple. here's Their URL https://www.xxxmain.com/paintmaskz-all.shtml Good luck.BigL.

Also I tried a full body decal - the results are here - A easy way to get cool loking rockets with no masking. All you need is some decal paper, an inkjet printer and some clear spray :)

Steve C.

Back