masking complex designs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wwattles

Reaction score
How do you guys mask off complex designs for painting? I'm working on a "Blue Angels" paint job, and it's got a cursive logo on it, and it's pretty detailed. I could go with a custom-printed decal, but I'd rather paint it myself. Any suggestions?

WW

hmmm, how do you get the cursive writing? freehand or by computer? if by computer, why not: run some contact paper through the printer. then cut out the cursive and stick the remaining ("negative") contact sheet on the model.

if your base coat paint is still tacky & the contact paper adhesive would rip it up .. how about printing to paper... then put the paper on top of some 2 mil plastic sheet, and cut out the shape. the 2 mil sheet will "stick" well enough to give an edge for spray paint but not enough to rip up the base coat.

this being TRF other folks will probably chime in with some better ideas.

I use my computer to lay out the design. Then I print it on heavy paper and cut out the design. Use either the remaining part as a stencil or the design to let the undercoat show through. I spray the paper with 3M Remount spray adhesive and apply to the rocket. Remount is Post-It Note glue in a can.

I'll have to try that, i got a new air brush can't wait to test it out:)

Something I tried a while back was using rubber cement as a masking agent.. I slightly thinned it so I could apply it with a model brush and then when everything was dry just rubbed my finger across to cause it to ball up and peel away. This was not on a rocket however. It worked pretty well, however there was a slight raised edge where the masking took place.

Another Idea I have heard is to use soap. Once again it can be washed away leaving the masked area clean.

Back into the laboratory.....

Back