Mask Wearing Rant

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

ksaves2

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Gamma ray burst :eek:
There go the family jewels if the radiation sickness doesn't kill first and the late effects of radiation induced cancers kill later. ;) Sorry, no super powers but that is the reality of it. :(

Rocketcamper123

Reaction score
I will not wear a mask. There is no constitutional authority that makes the government require masks. When you allow the government to take control of your life that's when you give away freedom and liberty. You end up with tyranny. I will not report to any government agencies where I have or plan to travel too, I guess that is called tracing of some kind. I understand people are high risk but if they are high risk they should not be out in public. I am not high risk but I choose not to travel. I have not left my town in over 3 months, still attend work. I am taking 2020 off from rocket launches. When I do go out I dont wear a mask. Maybe 2021 will have more common sense and less hysteria.

timbucktoo

Staff member
TRF Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
I will not wear a mask. There is no constitutional authority that makes the government require masks. When you allow the government to take control of your life that's when you give away freedom and liberty. You end up with tyranny. I will not report to any government agencies where I have or plan to travel too, I guess that is called tracing of some kind. I understand people are high risk but if they are high risk they should not be out in public. I am not high risk but I choose not to travel. I have not left my town in over 3 months, still attend work. I am taking 2020 off from rocket launches. When I do go out I dont wear a mask. Maybe 2021 will have more common sense and less hysteria.
Do you also go barefoot & shirtless when you go shopping or to restaurants?

Rocketcamper123

Reaction score
Do you also go barefoot & shirtless when you go shopping or to restaurants?
No, I still wash my hands and cough into my elbow. I germex my hands after the gas station or restaurant. I do those by choice. I still try to keep good hygiene. I do all things except wear a mask.

boatgeek

Reaction score
No, I still wash my hands and cough into my elbow. I germex my hands after the gas station or restaurant. I do those by choice. I still try to keep good hygiene. I do all things except wear a mask.
Thing is, requiring people to wear masks is exactly the same public health authority that requires people to wear shirts and shoes in restaurants. If you don’t believe the government can regulate one, they can’t regulate the other. Going further down the slippery slope, if government can’t require you to wear a mask, they probably can’t require you to wear clothes in public either. Care to take up a constitutional challenge?

Rocketcamper123

Reaction score
Wearing clothes and shoes in public is the human decent thing to do, not because it's a law. There are things on the human body that would be inappropriate for people to see outside the house. It's the decent thing to do. Just like showering and wearing deodorant and brushing teeth.

CalebJ

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Wearing a mask in public is the decent thing to do.
If you can't take a simple action to help your fellow man, what kind of embarrassment of a human are you?

Last edited:

Rocketcamper123

Reaction score
Wearing a mask in public is the descent thing to do.
If you can't take a simple action to help your fellow man, what kind of embarrassment of a human are you?
You drive through my town and go to stores no ones wearing masks. I guess my whole town is an embarrassment.

CalebJ

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I can't speak for them. Your own words speak for you, however. Whether or not the government has the authority here doesn't have a thing to do with whether or not you should listen to medical experts and behave like you give a damn about others.

Rocketcamper123

Reaction score
I can't speak for them. Your own words speak for you, however. Whether or not the government has the authority here doesn't have a thing to do with whether or not you should listen to medical experts and behave like you give a damn about others.
👍👍👍👍👍👍

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
I will not wear a mask. There is no constitutional authority that makes the government require masks. When you allow the government to take control of your life that's when you give away freedom and liberty. You end up with tyranny. I will not report to any government agencies where I have or plan to travel too, I guess that is called tracing of some kind. I understand people are high risk but if they are high risk they should not be out in public. I am not high risk but I choose not to travel. I have not left my town in over 3 months, still attend work. I am taking 2020 off from rocket launches. When I do go out I don't wear a mask. Maybe 2021 will have more common sense and less hysteria.
Attitudes like that make America #1!! in Covid infections..

(and maybe that's something you shouldn't / don't want to be proud of..)

ThirstyBarbarian

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Sometimes norms of behavior change fast enough that some people can’t keep up. Something that was rude not long ago is now normal, and something that was normal is now rude. And it can take awhile for some communities and individuals to catch up.

I live in an area that has a significant population of Asian immigrants, and one of the cultural quirks that I had noticed in the past decade or more is that some Asian immigrants wear masks in public. I didn’t understand it, and I didn’t like it. My interpretation was that they were wearing masks to protect themselves from others, and it came off as if they thought that the society around them was germy or dirty, and they felt they needed to protect themselves from the rest of us. It seemed rude to me in some way.

But just a few months into the pandemic I completely understand what they were doing and am on board 100%. A lot of these people came from countries where the SARS epidemic and H1N1 had taken a much larger toll than those viruses did in the US or other countries, and they learned a long time ago that wearing a mask helps to prevent the spread of respiratory illnesses. They came from cultures that value social responsibility, and they had adopted wearing masks as a norm that protects society. It‘s a polite thing that a good citizen does to keep others safe.

Just a few months into this pandemic and we are seeing that same social norm take root here because it really does work to keep society safe. Most Asian countries have had a far better outcome during the coronavirus pandemic than the US has had. Super dense cities like Hong Kong and Tokyo are places where you might expect a runaway spread like what happened in New York, but they have lower case rates than even small rural communities in the US. And the reason is that they have a high compliance with the cultural norm of wearing a mask to protect others.

I am definitely seeing that cultural shift here where I live. This area had one of the first outbreaks in the country, and a lot of us feel like we dodged a bullet with early adoption of social distancing and local shelter in place orders. That’s what made the difference between what happened here and what happened in New York. Wearing a mask in public is part of that, and people are adopting it. People expect you to wear a mask in public, and if you don’t, society judges you.

It’s going to take awhile for mask wearing to catch on universally, but as each community has their own opportunity to touch the stove, they’ll all get a chance to figure it out for themselves after getting burnt. They will learn what works and what doesn’t, and social pressure will force a change in behavior.

Zeus-cat

Reaction score
Would you have surgery at a hospital where masks and gloves were optional for the surgical team? This sounds absurd to most people, but if you really don't think masks are effective or required in certain situations then you shouldn't have a problem with this.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score

Rocketcamper123

Reaction score
It is possible that you don't understand how the U.S. Constitution works.
Jacobson v. Massachusetts

You miss what I am saying. There is no constitutional authority making anyone wear a mask. It is 100 percent a persons choice too. With that being said then no one can sue others if they are not wearing a mask. Sure businesses can make their customers wear a mask to enter their establishment but it's the persons choice not to enter the establishment if they dont want to wear one.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
More on the wonderful "Sure as hell this ain't 'just the flu'" virus:

Coronavirus Causes Weaponized 'Tentacles' To Sprout From Infected Cells, Directly Inject Virus Into New Ones - 26 Jun 2020

The virus behind COVID-19 causes infected cells to sprout 'tentacles' which allow the virus to attack several nearby cells at once - poking holes which allow the disease to easily transfer inside.

"There are long strings that poke holes in other cells and the virus passes through the tube from cell to cell," said UCSF's Director of the Quantitative Biosciences Institute, Professor Nevan Krogan. "Our hypothesis is that these speed up infection."

The images taken by scientists at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) laboratory in the US and University of Freiburg in Germany will be published in the medical journal Cell on Saturday.

Most viruses do not cause infected cells to grow these tentacles. Even those that do, such as smallpox, do not have as many or the same type of branching as Sars-Cov-2, the virus behind Covid-19.

According to the report, the silver lining is that the tentacle discovery may pave the way for a number of drugs to work against the disease - most of which were previously being used to treat cancer.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
The faster a country required masks, the fewer coronavirus deaths it had: study
June 22, 2020

Some countries have been devastated by the novel coronavirus, and others have escaped lightly.

Why the extreme differences? The main one is that countries that quickly resorted to widespread mask-wearing had far lower death rates and shorter outbreaks, a new study argues.

The authors looked at coronavirus death rates in 198 countries, trying to see why some had painfully high death rates and others very low.

“What we found was that of the big variables that you can control which influence mortality, one was wearing masks,” says Christopher Leffler of Virginia Commonwealth University, one of the study’s authors.

“It wasn’t just by a few per cent, it was up to a hundred times less mortality. The countries that introduced masks from the very beginning of their outbreak have had hardly any deaths.”

A Cambridge University study released earlier this month reached similar conclusions.

The first study mentioned:

Association of country-wide coronavirus mortality with demographics, testing, lockdowns, and public wearing of masks

The Cambridge study:

9-JUN-2020
Widespread facemask use could shrink the 'R' number and prevent a second COVID-19 wave

Bill S

Reaction score
Winston, that picture of the cells sprouting tentacles reminded me of the alien creature in "The Thing" movie from the '80s. Creepy...

boatgeek

Reaction score
You know, I’m really glad the culture was different in WWII. “There’s no law that says I have to black out my windows!” would have gotten really old really fast when the bombs started falling or the U-boats were sinking ships offshore.

prfesser

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Paraphrasing something I read elsewhere: If ever there was a zombie apocalypse, there would undoubtedly be a group of citizens demanding their right to have their brains eaten.

plugger

Reaction score
You miss what I am saying. There is no constitutional authority making anyone wear a mask. It is 100 percent a persons choice too. With that being said then no one can sue others if they are not wearing a mask. Sure businesses can make their customers wear a mask to enter their establishment but it's the persons choice not to enter the establishment if they dont want to wear one.