Mask Wearing Rant

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Tyeeking

Reaction score
Peer review occurs when an article is submitted for publication to a reputable industry journal/magazine.
It's a fundamental filter in validating that the statements that are being communicated are based on solid evidence that hasn't been faked, legitimate references that haven't been misinterpreted, and sound logical reasoning.

Submitting your work for peer review is a standard practice for all reputable scientists that have something to say, which is how the author is attempting to present himself with his bio.
Basically, any scientific discourse that hasn't passed the test of peer review, is assumed to be suspect, and unreliable.

The article is based on a straw-man argument that public mask wearing is intended to protect wearers from the virus.
It isn't.

Citations are unconfirmed, since the author bypassed peer-review process.
Your claim that the author is attempting to present himself a certain way without any evidence of that is classic straw man. The author presents his credentials which include his obvious bias (we all have them). Nowhere can I see did he attempt to persuade the reader that somehow his article was meant to be anything but opinion

A person in about 5 minutes can confirm the validity of the citations. Just because someone writes what is clearly an opinion piece (which is basically what everyone on here including me is doing via their posts) does not invalidate the citations. If that we’re the case then no citation made on this board would have validity because non of the opinion pieces are “peer reviewed”.

tomsteve

Reaction score
An interesting aspect of the mask whining (and a distinction from seatbelt wearing) is that you primarily wear a mask to protect others. ;)
which makes no sense.
think about it for a bit.

Ez2cDave

Reaction score
I am comforted slightly by the fact that half of the world is below average in intelligence (not IQ, just general intelligence, ability to reason, and concern for their fellow human beings). Those people are at the deep end of the evolutionary pool, and will be the first to drown in it, leaving the rest of the world an epsilon increment smarter.
Terry,

Except that, when only the intellectuals are left, there will be no one to fix your car, repair your house / plumbing, grow your food, etc.

Better start "learning a trade", before you are left holding the bag !

Dave f.

Peartree

Cyborg Rocketeer
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
I ventured out, in the afternoon, to Lowe's hardware today. I won't be doing that again. I stopped to pick up a few bags of much to finish a project we'd already started only but I was only stopping because it's across the street for Tractor Supply Company where I was resupplying our stash of dog food at the curbside pickup. TSC was, as always, very good. Everyone in masks, and they come out promptly with my order when we call and tell them we are in the designated pick up space. Lowe's was overcrowded and, although the staff was wearing masks (a saw a few pulled down, outside, but only when they were well away from customers) fully 80 or 90 percent of the customers were not wearing masks. When we has stopped a week or two ago, it was much different with at least 60 percent wearing masks. Today, mask wearers were in the minority and many were almost completely ignoring six foot spacing recommendations. I won't go out in the afternoon again for a very long time. If I need to return, I will limit my visits to the early AM hours when only the contractors are there.
In an effort to be "fair and balanced" my faith in humanity (and in my fellow Ohioans) was somewhat restored yesterday. My wife and I ventured out to the JoAnne Fabric store in the next city over (the nearest store) because she couldn't find what she needed online for a project that she's truing to finish this week. I suspected that crafters, at the fabric store, were probably people who made their own masks and were more likely to wear them. I was right. But I was pleasantly surprised, after my experience at Lowe's, at the percentage of people who were wearing them. I expected 80 or 90 percent might. But Almost *Everyone* were wearing masks and of them, nearly all were wearing them correctly. There were only one or two, in the entire store, not wearing masks, and another one or two who were wearing their masks loosely or below their nose. And, although the store wasn't particularly crowded, everyone did a good job of keeping distance between one another as much as possible. There may be hope for us after all.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
In an effort to be "fair and balanced" my faith in humanity (and in my fellow Ohioans) was somewhat restored yesterday. My wife and I ventured out to the JoAnne Fabric store in the next city over (the nearest store) because she couldn't find what she needed online for a project that she's truing to finish this week. I suspected that crafters, at the fabric store, were probably people who made their own masks and were more likely to wear them. I was right. But I was pleasantly surprised, after my experience at Lowe's, at the percentage of people who were wearing them. I expected 80 or 90 percent might. But Almost *Everyone* were wearing masks and of them, nearly all were wearing them correctly. There were only one or two, in the entire store, not wearing masks, and another one or two who were wearing their masks loosely or below their nose. And, although the store wasn't particularly crowded, everyone did a good job of keeping distance between one another as much as possible. There may be hope for us after all.
Saturday I saw a similar amount of masks. That was different from Thursday. Thursday, they were significantly lax.

Onebadhawk

Sponsor
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
It must be a regional thing..
My wife doesn't let me out much ( that sounded terrible, lol )
she does most of the shopping..
She is EXTREMELY serious about distancing and disinfecting..
When I go to the supermarket ( and she says the same )
it seems fairly rare to see someone not wearing a mask..
I do see some wearing it under their nose ( which I don't even begin to understand that mindset ),
but overall, everywhere we go pretty much everyone has a mask on..

Teddy

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Peer review occurs when an article is submitted for publication to a reputable industry journal/magazine.
It's a fundamental filter in validating that the statements that are being communicated are based on solid evidence that hasn't been faked, legitimate references that haven't been misinterpreted, and sound logical reasoning.

Submitting your work for peer review is a standard practice for all reputable scientists that have something to say, which is how the author is attempting to present himself with his bio.
Basically, any scientific discourse that hasn't passed the test of peer review, is assumed to be suspect, and unreliable.

The article is based on a straw-man argument that public mask wearing is intended to protect wearers from the virus.
It isn't.

Citations are unconfirmed, since the author bypassed peer-review process.
Concur.

Also note that peer reviewed articles aren’t always right either, but certainly more reliable than non-peer reviewed.

prfesser

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score

This.

Peer review is the blue-ribbon test of the reliability of one's scientific work. One or more scientists who are expert in the area and have done research similar to that of the publishing author will review the paper and point out errors in procedure, techniques, conclusions drawn, etc., as well as suggestions on revision and whether the paper should be published. An article in print (via dead trees not electrons) is considered reliable. Even then, if the work is later found to be erroneous or even fraudulent, the article may be retracted. That's what got Andrew Wakefield and his crappy work on vaccines -> autism.

Unfortunately, online publications are causing serious challenges to the peer review process. Some online journals are reputable; others will publish anything sent to them, as long as the requested fees are paid. And it's hard to keep track of which journals are real and which are homemade crap. Filling out one's CV with publications in the crap journals is becoming an increasing problem.

Best -- Terry

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
to toss a bit of ..

Quebec is interesting, especially so right now (Montreal is now Canada's Epicenter)

A few years ago, a law banning masks in public was enacted. It was enacted due to a lot of protesters wearing masks so they couldn't be identified, etc.. (it has since been repealed since the 'red square' protests are over..)

Our current government (provincial) finally passed the [contentious] "religious items" law, which prohibits people of authority (public servants: teachers, doctors, judges, prison guards, police etc..) from wearing religious items. (It is mainly aimed at, and to reduce 'Islamophobia') so, no crosses, not kippas (Jewish scull cap), no Hijabs, no burkas, etc.. "You can have your religious freedom, you just can't show it at work"

But now we're all told to wear a mask.

So, many are pointing out the "stupidity" to make their statement: "I can't wear a [religious heargear] but I have to wear a mask. I can't wear a Darth Vadar mask when I vote, but I must wear am M-95 or cloth mask now to do so..

as other have said, think about why you're being asked to do what you do. Accept the reasons why.

Last edited:

georgegassaway

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
  1. when more than 6 feet away or separated by plexiglas (i.e. at a cashier), a mask isn't adding much anyway
Sure it is. The virus particles do not "disappear" at 6 feet. They hang in the air for awhile, and eventually get onto surfaces that might be touched by someone else. And if anyone EVER coughs or sneezes, their "spew" travels a LOT.

Also, when in a building, it is almost impossible to NOT get within 6 feet of somebody, at some point.

I wear a mask at work for almost 8 hours a day. Only take it off for my first 15 minute break (have something to drink), and for my 30 minute lunch. For my least 15 minute break, I do not even take it off unless I am thirsty. And when I clock out, I leave it on a least till I get to my car. I will keep it on if I plan to go shop or stop somewhere else before I get home (rather keep it on than possibly forget to put it back on when I stop).

As long as this pandemic lasts, people ought to be wearing masks when they are out in public when they might get close to someone, and especially in any building.

And wear it properly. I too am ticked off when I see people wearing them wrong, especially my co-workers who are required to wear them.

A mini-poster I made up, using a couple of icon graphics I found, and modifying for the third one for a bit of humor. The third one only slightly more stupid than the second one.:

Last edited:

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score

ThirstyBarbarian

Reaction score
I have not gone out to the store much at all since this whole thing started, just 3 grocery trips total since March 13, but pretty much everyone seems to be wearing masks. All employees at Safeway were wearing them last time I was there. And I don’t remember seeing any customers not wearing one on my last trip. The first couple of trips there were a few people not wearing one, but by now, everyone around here seems to be complying.

Back_at_it

Reaction score
I’m sure there are people on this forum that will not be happy about this but here we go.

We have never stopped going out in public. My job has kept me out and about daily. I stop for carry out at least twice a day for lunch and dinner. We go shopping, I go to the home improvement stores, car was etc etc.

We also own businesses out of state that are considered essential and must be visited and audited quarterly and therefore we have had to travel to those states pretty much every couple of weekends to keep up with the schedule.

Being from Chicago we see folks wearing masks pretty much everywhere where we go including being outside alone which makes zero sense to me. That all changes the moment you get outside of the city and suburbs. We crossed over into Indiana about 6 weeks ago and stopped for gas. There was no masks, no social distancing. As we continued on to OH, we saw more of the same. TN, KY an AL. are the same. No distancing and very few if any masks.

Granted we were in smaller towns. I don’t know if things are different in the larger cities but from our experience The majority were not following these guidelines and the infection rates are extremely low in all of those areas.

I read earlier this morning that the CDC is reviewing the numbers of cases and that the actual death rate is expected to be significantly lower than what is currently being reported. I won’t get too far into that until the actual numbers Are published

Last edited:

neil_w

Hunkered down and slowly going crazy
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Being from Chicago we see folks wearing masks pretty much everywhere where we go including being outside alone which makes zero sense to me.
In a crowded city environment, you never know how long you're going to be alone. So wearing masks outside as a matter of habit makes good sense in many situations.
Granted we were in smaller towns. I don’t know if things are different in the larger cities but from our experience The majority were not following these guidelines and the infection rates are extremely low in all of those areas.
Certainly there is a lot more human contact in urban areas, and more opportunities for virus spread.

I read earlier this morning that the CDC is reviewing the numbers of cases and that the actual death rate is expected to be significantly lower than what is currently being reported. I won’t get too far into that until the actual numbers Are published
Given that we *know* there are large numbers of unreported and untallied cases of those who get milder or no symptoms at all, it is pretty much guaranteed that the actual fatality rate is much lower than the number you get from simply dividing deaths by total number of confirmed cases.

However, it is also equally possible that the RO value is higher than previously estimated.

It's the combination of all factors that makes the virus so deadly. Bottom line: 100K dead in three months, no end in sight. Case rates ticking back upwards in several states that are reopening.

PXR5

Starship Hijacker
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Well it happened!

2 co-workers tested positive!!

(The president of the company does not permit masks.)

They have sent all the women home. Us guys are still working.

Not sure where I stand, I was within 6 feet of one of them for about 10 minutes.

afadeev

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The face mask is a symbol of fear and obedience.
Finally, amen brother!
We have a real Man rising up with the Truth in this swamp of BP- and APCP-buring rocket do-gooders!

But why go half way??!
I say break the chains of conventional clothing altogether, stick a finger in the eye of the liberal fashion elites, and discard the pants, shirts, and all that fancy underwear!
What is clothing, if not devil's mark of fear and obedience?
Adam and Even didn't wear any clothing, until tempted by the devil!

I say go all the way - don't stop at the masks - burn all the clothing, and let it all hang out!

Marc_G

Reaction score
Well it happened!

They have sent all the women home. Us guys are still working.

Not sure where I stand, I was within 6 feet of one of them for about 10 minutes.
I'm not sure what sort of business it is, but I'm curious about the part "sent the women home, us guys are still working." Are women somehow at more risk in the eyes of the company? And, what's up with the "no masks permitted" rule? Does the mask in some way prevent the job from being done?

I wish you all the best.

PXR5

Starship Hijacker
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure what sort of business it is, but I'm curious about the part "sent the women home, us guys are still working." Are women somehow at more risk in the eyes of the company? And, what's up with the "no masks permitted" rule? Does the mask in some way prevent the job from being done?

I wish you all the best.
The owner doesn't like masks. That's all I want to really say.
He's very old fashioned, we need to be real men and protect the weaker sex...

I have only worked there 90 days, now I am counting down the number of days I stay there LOL
Tomorrow I am wearing a mask, they can fire me if they want.

I Probably need to post in Chuck's thread if I should get a test :(

Last edited:

afadeev

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The owner doesn't like masks. That's all I want to really say.
If whomever you are working for is placing his personal prejudices over your well-being, regardless of the circumstances, it may be time to look for another job.

He's very old fashioned [...] I have only worked there 90 days, now I am counting down the number of days I stay there LOL
Tomorrow I am wearing a mask, they can fire me if they want.
If you are in a financial position to do so, I would do exactly the same thing.
There is nothing old fashioned about promoting an unsafe work environment.

Good luck!

Last edited:

georgegassaway

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score

Sorry to hear that.

Too bad the president of the company didn't catch it (yet????). If anyone there caught it, it should have been him.

He's a moron that's endangering all the employees.

Latest posts