Mask Wearing Rant

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

AHansom

Reaction score
Don’t know if this has been posted yet. I suspect that some anti-maskers think that masks are the first step toward Sharia Law.

View attachment 445456
Good analogy. I still think most masks fit so loose that exhaled breath is just diverted around your face and not filtered. People walking behind you are getting the vapors in there eyes and inhaled. Like the guy who pees in his pants, and then everyone has to walk through the puddleo_O

afadeev

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Good analogy. I still think most masks fit so loose that exhaled breath is just diverted around your face and not filtered. People walking behind you are getting the vapors in there eyes and inhaled. Like the guy who pees in his pants, and then everyone has to walk through the puddleo_O
That's true, but there is a key practical difference.
With the mask, the exhaled breath, with all the fluid aerosols, is mostly redirected vertically - up and to the sides.
Without the mask, the aerosols travel mostly horizontally, and much further from the person.

Masks act as aerosol spread mufflers, as well as directional aerosol spread pattern deflectors.

More info here:

Last edited:

AHansom

Reaction score
That's true, but there is a key practical difference.
With the mask, the exhaled breaths with all the fluid aerosols, is mostly redirected vertically - up and to the sides.
Without the mask, the aerosols travel mostly horizontally, and much further from the person.

Masks act as aerosol spread mufflers, as well as directional aerosol spread pattern deflectors.

More info here:

Good video of a properly fitted N95 mask doing its job.

cbwho

Reaction score
Where i live, it is near 100% adherence in stores.

I found that outside that it helps to keep my face warm when very cold. Although people don't wear them outside much but we are rather spread out here.

ThirstyBarbarian

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I read recently that with the new more-contagious variant, we should all probably be shifting to surgical masks or real N95 respirators. I have mostly cloth masks that I like, but I guess it might be time to upgrade.

I think the government messaging around mask wearing is about to get much more consistent and ubiquitous.

hobie1dog

Reaction score
Our good friends are anti-mask and they went out to eat with friends of theirs recently and the other couple sitting across from them were not feeling good, and coughed a time or two. So they gave it to our friends which both ended up getting it and now my buddy has ended up in the hospital and just got out last night. His wife on the other hand is in bad shape and just last night had a heart attack due to the respiratory failure she has been in, so it's not looking good for her as she had underlying respiratory problems to begin with. She now has double pneumonia.

Greg Furtman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
To deny wearing a mask during a pandemic when all the scientific data shows that they help prevent spreading and or getting COVID is just plain dumb. An ostrich can hide its head in the sand but that doesn't mean some predator isn't going to bite it in the arse. COVID-19 doesn't discriminate or take political sides. While Nature can be beautiful and inspiring it can also be deadly.

ThirstyBarbarian

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Our good friends are anti-mask and they went out to eat with friends of theirs recently and the other couple sitting across from them were not feeling good, and coughed a time or two. So they gave it to our friends which both ended up getting it and now my buddy has ended up in the hospital and just got out last night. His wife on the other hand is in bad shape and just last night had a heart attack due to the respiratory failure she has been in, so it's not looking good for her as she had underlying respiratory problems to begin with. She now has double pneumonia.
This is a really sad story, and I hope your friend and his wife pull through. Although, most likely, even if the wife makes it, her health will be permanently impacted. As fellow human beings, they deserve our sympathy. But wow, it’s getting harder and harder to reach inside and find that. Maybe there’s some kind of sympathy fatigue setting in, or maybe the sympathy supplies have been used up. I have to admit, my first reaction when I hear a story like this is more a feeling of anger than sympathy, and I have to sort of calm myself down and get my head straight before I can consider how scared and concerned they and their friends and family must be.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been double masking. I get KN94 masks from South Korea (Sorry, not trusting anything China sends to U.S. For a while.). I have plastic clips with hooks that go behind my head so I can put straps over and behind my ears and clip around the back, I can get a much tighter seal than with the ear loops. I don’t think the ear loops alone are enough to get a tight seal when you inhale. I put a cloth mask over that, and I wear a face shield. And I am 4 days out from getting my second Pfizer shot.

I simply cannot see ANYONE eating in a sit down restaurant for the foreseeable future. Blows my mind they are still open. You can’t wear a mask when you eat, which means that you and just about everyone around you is unmasked. And the 6 foot rule is both garbage and generally not followed anyway. What matters is how long you are in a contained space with someone infected, the longer you are breathing the same air, the more likely you are to get infected by someone else (and vice versa.)

I also put on a mask when I pick up from the drive through, I figure I am protecting them as much as they (when they bother) are protecting me.

I do get take out, if I can’t get curbside, I order ahead, ask for a time, get to the parking lot and then CALL to see if my order is ready. I learned that trick after twice getting there at set time and standing around for 15 minute waiting for my order. When they tell me it’s ready I am in and out in about a minute or two.

on the news it was interesting watching Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer (this is not political.)

You could tell her mask was tight, every time she inhaled you could see the fabric “suck” inward.

He was literally pulling the mask up over his nose (it was continuously falling off) about every 10-15 seconds.

boatgeek

Reaction score
You could tell her mask was tight, every time she inhaled you could see the fabric “suck” inward.

He was literally pulling the mask up over his nose (it was continuously falling off) about every 10-15 seconds.
This is a giant pet peeve of mine. Public figures who are purportedly setting a good example should have well-fitting masks. It’s not that hard if you put in a little effort!

NateB

Reaction score
I made a horrible miscalculation today. I ate a bowl of chili and a cheese toastie for lunch and ended up spending the next 5 hours on a couple of back to back calls, masked up and left a pack of gum behind in my bag. It's trivial, yes, but still annoyed myself until we got home.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I made a horrible miscalculation today. I ate a bowl of chili and a cheese toastie for lunch and ended up spending the next 5 hours on a couple of back to back calls, masked up and left a pack of gum behind in my bag. It's trivial, yes, but still annoyed myself until we got home.
Annoyed YOURSELF? How about the other folks in the cabin WITH you!

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score

H_Rocket

Death by Powerpoint
Reaction score
MOPP4-1.png

I suspect we will be expected to wear this by mid March. If one mask is good & two masks are better, MOPP4 NBC warfare gear should do the trick.

:)

Last edited:

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 450226

I suspect we will be expected to wear this by mid March. If a mask is good, two masks are better, MOPP4 NBC warfare gear should do the trick.

:)
Been dere‘, done dat! Fortunately only in mock exercises. Was frightening to think what it would have been like in real world combat situation. OTOH, HAVING done THAT, I have little sympathy for those that can’t wear a simple surgical mask properly.