The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
You can’t fix stupid.

Ironically, you CAN manufacture and market and sell totally nonfunctional masks and PROFIT from the stupidity and selfishness of others.

Of course, the cheapest and most common example of “going through the motions” remains the chin mask.

jrap330

Retired Engineer, NAR # 76940
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Gotta love it.

“I don’t wear a mask because I don’t want to rebreath my carbon MONOxide.”

“I don’t need it because we’re on the beach and breathing saltwater kills the virus.”

“I left it in my car.”

“The virus stuff is all a lie”. (There are over 160,000 Americans that WISH they were still alive to argue about that one.)

For the record, I have nothing against obese people. The one dude that was really rude is going to be up the creek without a paddle if he gets the virus. I just finished my night shift reading chest films (lots and lots and LOTS of chest films), CTS, ultrasounds, etc. for ER and ICU. Nearly all the people in our (now at 90% capacity) ICU with Covid are obese, mostly morbidly obese. Whether it’s chronic inflammation from obesity or just that there is so much more work for the diaphragm shoving all that abdominal fat around, these poor individuals do not do well when infected.

What’s really frightening? If it is this hard to get people to wear a mask (given away for free), how hard is it going to be to get everyone vaccinated if and when a good tested and proven vaccine is available? Ah well, at least a vaccine protects the RECIPIENT who gets the vaccine, as opposed to the mask, which is something you where because you care about OTHERS.
Very interesting and very scary.

ThirstyBarbarian

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I’m still seeing pretty good compliance around here. Safeway, Target, Costco, and Trader Joe’s all seem to have 100% of the staff wearing masks and wearing them properly. And most of the customers are also wearing them, but not always properly. I see occasional noses poking out. It reminds me of someone walking around in shorts with their wiener hanging out over the waistband. Yer doin’ it wrong! Put that thing away! Apparently I’m not the only one who thinks this, because I’ve heard other people refer it as a “dicknose”. As in, “I went into Lowe”s, and the place was crawling with dicknoses.”

I did go to Lowe’s the other day, and it was kind of mixed. Most employees were wearing masks, but when I asked one employee a question, she pulled her mask down to answer me. Thanks. And there were a few customers walking around with dicknoses. Just letting that thing dangle out there in the wind. I know you’re really proud of it, but nobody wants to look at it!

By far the worst place I’ve been into was Sportsman’s Warehouse. It’s a hunting and fishing store that carries lots of guns and ammo. When I got there, I had to wait in line for about an hour for my turn. There were 2 lines for 2 different kinds of transactions running up 2 adjacent aisles. Each line had a sign saying what the line was for and also had tape markings on the floor to show where you could stand to keep 6 feet apart. I was at the end of one line and a guy came wandering up the aisle, passed me, and got up to the front, and then I guess he realized we were all waiting.

”Oh, is this a line?”

”Yeah, there are two lines depending on what you need,” I told him.

”Oh, whatever. I‘ll just wait in this one because it’s shorter.”

Then he stood between me and the guys in front of me and started looking at stuff on the shelf. So now he’s just a couple feet from me, plus he’s in front of me in line. So I asked him, ”Do you want to look at that stuff? I’ll step back and give you some room. Or are you in line?”

”No I’m just in line.”

”Well, if you are in line, you are behind me. I’ve been waiting awhile before you got here.”

”Oh, I know you’re first! Don’t worry about that!“ Then he moved to stand right next to me on my tape mark, like we were in line together!

I had to actually ask him to move further away from me and point to the mark on the ground 6 feet back. Grrrr... He seemed kind of startled by it and then kind of rolled his eyes and moved back. And about a minute later he switched to the other line. At least he was wearing a mask.

So then I finally got to the counter. The employees were all doing their own thing, maskwise. The first guy who helped me was wearing a disposable mask when he started helping me. I had to do some paperwork, so he got me started and then went to help someone else. When he came back, his mask was around his neck, not covering anything, and I didn’t even notice it until we had been talking for a few minutes. Another guy who helped me had a really nice cloth mask, and wore it the entire time. There was a woman who was constantly pulling hers down and putting it back on, for no apparent reason. There was a guy with a bandana he was wearing bandito style.

Anyway, Sportsman’s Warehouse Stockton, CA wins my award for worst mask and distancing fails. That was the sketchiest place I’ve been into in 6 months. And I’m supposed to go back on Monday.

les

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Last weekend I was at a big box hardware store and passed 4 "associates" all wearing their mask below their nose or chin. I went to the service desk and commented. They agreed their workers should be wearing their masks correctly (but I doubt anything was done)

Today, I was in a store and a woman was wearing a "Save the Whales" T-Shirt, but had her mask down. I guess whales are more important than we fellow humans..... ;)

afadeev

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
More funny mask improvisations here:

I've personally seen amazingly weird mask-like contraptions some people wear in stores, though nothing as cool as most of what is above.

In related news, the luxury industry has "finally" caught onto the mask/shield trend, and is cashing in:

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This is interesting.
No comment.
Not knocking the idea, but how does the POST OFFICE independently come up with the authority and the budget to do something like this? Also interesting that to my knowledge no political leaders at any level of government (town, county, state, nation) that DO have such governmental authority and budget authority have done it.

Also, masks are cheap and in many and perhaps most locales there are groups giving away masks for free.

You can give a horse a mask, but you can’t make him wear it, especially over his nose and mouth.

The finger (index finger in this case) comes back to us. We the American people elected these individuals.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I only posted this because it looks like the first time Kirk and McCoy have been united since 1991 Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.

Van Noy's church will soon host two controversial figures who've flouted coronavirus guidelines and questioned mask mandates: Charlie Kirk, founder of the conservative student group Turning Point USA, and Rob McCoy, a California pastor who was fined for holding indoor church services despite Covid-19 restrictions. The men will speak at services later this month to "work to make sense of what the church's proper role in America can and should be in the face of increasing opposition and cultural animosity."

Pacific Northwest newspaper the Spokesman-Review reported that the event with Kirk and McCoy will be held in-person.

For the record, per Wikipedia, when Deforrest Kelley died, Newsweek had to do it

“Kelley's obituary in Newsweek magazine began: "We're not even going to try to resist: He's dead, Jim".’

kuririn

BARGeezer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Not knocking the idea, but how does the POST OFFICE independently come up with the authority and the budget to do something like this?
In another article I read with more detail it mentioned that the initiative would have been a joint effort between the post office and a conglomeration of textile manufacturers. So the masks would have been free and donated. As for authority? Since the White House nixed it, I guess they had the authority if they chose to use it.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
In another article I read with more detail it mentioned that the initiative would have been a joint effort between the post office and a conglomeration of textile manufacturers. So the masks would have been free and donated. As for authority? Since the White House nixed it, I guess they had the authority if they chose to use it.
Fair enough

kuririn

BARGeezer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I remember my mom telling me about the gas masks they were issued during WW II.
If people are upset about cloth face masks what would they think about a heavy poison gas mask?
Of course if the bombs start dropping would be nice to have one. Assuming it's not an agent that is absorbed through the skin.
Heh.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I remember my mom telling me about the gas masks they were issued during WW II.
If people are upset about cloth face masks what would they think about a heavy poison gas mask?
Of course if the bombs start dropping would be nice to have one. Assuming it's not an agent that is absorbed through the skin.
Heh.
Did a weekend of training in chemical warfare on the medical side, with simulated casualty decontamination and treatment in full MOPP gear (Mission Oriented Protective Posture.) Mask, hood, double gloves, charcoal lined long sleeve chem gear, pants, boot covers...... fortunately it was in cool weather. let’s just say it wasn’t the highlight of my military career. (Ironically, serving in Iraq during the Fallujah campaign actually probably WAS the most satisfying thing I did as an Air Force Radiologist, no chemical warfare stuff, but lot’s of Kevlar and Helmet use! We helped get a lot of guys and gals home with more pieces and parts working than otherwise would have been the case, as well as caring for a lot of Iraqi civilians, National Guard, and Police. Think MASH with a small permanent inpatient unit and ICU....in tents.....with fly paper.......)

Had we ever actually had to USE the MOPP gear in the Summer in Iraq I don’t think many of us would have lasted 30 minutes outdoors (130 degrees in the shade.)

And the drive through server at the Burger King window today couldn’t even keep her thin paper mask over her nose and mouth while serving a customer (I was the the car and WAS wearing a mask.). Grrrrr........

AdAstraPerAspera

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Or they realized that they didn't have the authority, and nixed it to avoid overreach.

kuririn

BARGeezer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Or they realized that they didn't have the authority, and nixed it to avoid overreach.
The article said that they nixed it to avoid causing panic.
Like when someone in the White House "downplayed it" in March to avoid causing panic.
Like Americans need to be treated like children instead of grown adults.

afadeev

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The article said that they nixed it to avoid causing panic.
Sounds about right.
At least that would be 100% consistent with the "deny, downplay, distract" virus management policy that have been the guiding principles of our Federal government.

Who wants to bet against us being bombarded with some silly and flashy "announcement" when we hit 200,000 dead Americans statistic, in a day or two?

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Our local county has allowed the mask mandate to expire today. Some residents are glad that things will be back to “normal.”

Again, we are the land of the free, and the home of the brave.

Unfortunately not the land of the smart and home of the responsible.

I am not planning on going anywhere in close proximity to strangers without a mask and a face shield.

modeltrains

Reaction score
And here we go with yet another "Do that. No, don't do that, it doesn't work. Well wait a minute, maybe you should do that after all."

I've finally hit the point of,
Coronavirus?
Yeah, yeah, whatever.
All your attempts to impress me with coronavirus have now gone in the garbage.

Study Finds Neck Gaiters Are Effective Facial Coverings
September 30, 2020
  • Dr. Tho Nguyen co-led the study with PhD students Hoang Luong and Minh Pham
Dr. Tho Nguyen (Physics and Astronomy) and Suraj Sharma (Family and Consumer Sciences) conducted a study that demonstrated that neck gaiters can provide a level of protection equivalent to masks when used as a face-covering.
The results are consistent with results from a recent Virginia Tech study which showed layered neck gaiters provided similar performance to the cloth masks when tested on mannequins.

Last edited:

SCooke123

Reaction score
Hope you never contract the virus Modeltrains - my son has it right now and he is only 40 and good health otherwise. He has absolutely zero energy, a fever, trouble breathing. Hopefully he has no lingering after affects.

You can have your opinions and are entitled to them but I hope you and people with your attitude stay well clear of me and my family. No offence intended - just differing opinions... 👍

kuririn

BARGeezer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
And here we go with yet another "Do that. No, don't do that, it doesn't work. Well wait a minute, maybe you should do that after all."
I don't see the inconsistency here. It's a textile covering over the nose and mouth. Multi layer is more effective than single layer. So what's the confusion? Wear it properly and protect your fellow human beings.

I was in a grocery store the other day and was passing the checkout lines on the way to the deli section. A guy was "wearing" a mask with the top of the mask below his nostrils, nose fully exposed. Cashier didn't say anything.
Make sure you not only have a mask but are using it properly folks.
Laters.

Buckeye

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've finally hit the point of,
Coronavirus?
Yeah, yeah, whatever.
All your attempts to impress me with coronavirus have now gone in the garbage.
I hear ya. Nobody knows nuthin'. Here we are in month 8 of the 2 week plan to flatten the curve. LOL.

Then there is this mask gem. Wear a condom between strokes, too.

afadeev

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Best masks ever: https://us.cambridgemask.com/
I just wish that folks gave a sh*t about science. Good to see that most of us "rocket scientists" actually care enough to wear a mask of sorts.
Unfortunately, not.
All of these masks have an exhaust valve, defeating the purpose of wearing the mask is in the first place.

As to the audience on these forum being rational "rocket scientists" - far from it.
We have the usual mix of folks from all walks of life, many posting from their favorite reality-distorting bubbles.

Joshua F Thomas

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I used to think that rational self-interest would guide human decisions.

The virus has proven me wrong. People in America will allow themselves to get critically ill for a) some sort of principle of 'freedom' or b) sheer laziness.

As a student of cultures around the world, I can say a lot about how many Asian cultures are rooted in "community first" and how this can stifle individuality or lead to social structures that severely punish non-conformity. On the other hand, those cultures also deeply promote the idea of an individual's responsibility toward their community. In Japan and much of China people would wear a mask by default as soon they believed they were getting sick. Long before coronavirus, just as a social norm.

America could use less individualism and more community focus.

kuririn

BARGeezer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Since the topic is masks, here's a relevant link that broke today.
No comment, draw your own (obvious) conclusions.

afadeev

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed, more simple caring for others. Courtesy. That's all it takes.
Sounds intriguing, but what's in it for me?
:cool:

The virus has proven me wrong. People in America will allow themselves to get critically ill for a) some sort of principle of 'freedom' or b) sheer laziness.
You are forgetting the most important motivation: (c) desire to belong, to fit in with the others, to "virtue signal" to one's group.

As we get more and more separated from each other by technology and cov-2 travel restrictions, folks are going to extreme lengths to make-up for the lack of in-person interactions with online camaraderie.
Unfortunately, the latter comes with a heavy doze of group-think, and frequently demands public adherence and promotion of that group-think.
Thus we get all sorts of nutty commentary, from various sources, along the lines of: "Nobody knows nuthin", "Windmills cause cancer", "Coronavirus is going to disappear", and "‘Don’t think science knows’"

Latest posts