Mask Wearing Rant

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I wear a nomex flight suit with long pants and long sleeves, helmet with shield, NVGs duing night shifts, plus an N-95 or P-100 respirator now. The helicopter has AC, but it just takes the edge off the heat. Cabin temps are often in the 90s during this time of year. We often work outside as well. The stresses of flight and our environment are well studied with some guidelines offered by CAMTS (air medical industry group) Doing CPR for extended times with all this PPE on is a bit much, a "typical" call is rough enough, but hydration, cooling towels, and resting during downtime works. We also have the ability to stand down and rest if the heat becomes an issue where we can't function safely.

I have also seen studies done on firefighters, mostly focusing on the cardiac effects of the PPE and environment. I know my HR has been at the upper end if the target heart range while working on an interior attack.

One habit I got into at the fire department was keeping a bottle of water by my seat in the truck and drinking it on the way to a call. With full turnout gear and an SCBA on, it is easy to get dehydrated before you even get in the fire.
I remember in the Air Force medical corps training for operating a field hospital in chemical war fare (MOPP Mission Oriented Protective Posture) gear. Kind of like wearing waterproof sweatshirt and pants and full face mask and hood over regular long sleeve shirt and pants, with thick rubber gloves and a full face mask and hood. I was thinking, “Just staying alive in this outfit in the desert on summer would be a challenge, let alone taking care of patients.” Fortunately when I deployed for Desert Storm and then our second round with Iraq at Balad Air Base we never actually had to use it.

Again thank you for what you and your fellows are doing to care for and protect us during this plague.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Drove from Tennessee to Idaho to give my son a used car we had no need for.

Wore mask and face shield anytime out of car.

Restaurant in Idaho, they make your order to suit as you go through the line.

Food service workers: NO MASKS WHATSOEVER.

would have left except my son had already ordered.

I mean, these are eight food service workers in one line and cash register, no protection whatsoever.

I guess they think they are so rural Covid just won’t get there.

boatgeek

Reaction score
Drove from Tennessee to Idaho to give my son a used car we had no need for.

Wore mask and face shield anytime out of car.

Restaurant in Idaho, they make your order to suit as you go through the line.

Food service workers: NO MASKS WHATSOEVER.

would have left except my son had already ordered.

I mean, these are eight food service workers in one line and cash register, no protection whatsoever.

I guess they think they are so rural Covid just won’t get there.
Idaho is pretty wild. We had to go there in June to help clear out my MIL's house. The trip to Home Depot was especially weid, with a completely full lot and store and maybe 5 people (staff and customers) wearing masks. My BIL just held a big birthday party at his house. Unsurprisingly, Idaho is also in the middle of an outbreak right now...

afadeev

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Stupid knows no bounds!! mental, political, geographical, etc...
What rally gets me, and gets a lot of others, is the report of two anti-mask guys who come up & hug a news reporter, on live TV..
Not bad, but I will raise you with a "lady" holding a sign that reads: "I will not mask my unborn child".
Yep, you read that correctly. I did not misquote, omit, nor add anything. That's precisely what she wanted to say.
I don't even know where to begin imagining what inspired her both to make that up, then to write it down, then go public with that.

I would like to posit that she is from Floriduah, which may be one way it might add up (see 7:07 time mark).

Last edited:

Joshua F Thomas

Reaction score
I ventured out, in the afternoon, to Lowe's hardware today.
Man, you need to come to Connecticut. When I went to Lowe's the other day, every single person was wearing a mask, wearing a good mask, and wearing it correctly. When I went to use one of the self-checkouts, the cashier at the other one nearly yelled at me to wait because he hadn't scrubbed it down yet since the last customer had used it.

People here be taking this **** *really serious*. It's probably why we have some of the lowest infection rates in the whole country.

Joshua F Thomas

Reaction score
I remember in the Air Force medical corps training for operating a field hospital in chemical war fare (MOPP Mission Oriented Protective Posture) gear. Kind of like wearing waterproof sweatshirt and pants and full face mask and hood over regular long sleeve shirt and pants, with thick rubber gloves and a full face mask and hood.
So way back in 2013, I participated in one of FEMA's training programs for first responders. I was an EMT for ~10 years. FEMA wanted to get a lot of people trained on domestic terrorism response, just enough to know what to do when a nuke/bioplague/chemical attack happened and they needed a lot of qualified responders.

We spent a week at the COBRATF facility [ Chemical, Ordnance, Biological and Radiological Training Facility ] in Alabama. I spent several days doing medical evacuation drills and setting up decontamination zones, in whatever level of gear is one short of SCBA. Mask fitting so tight it left visible marks on your face for more than 24 hours, heavy sealed suits that covered all body surfaces.

We finished the week practicing the use chemical and biological test kits with live VX, ricin, and anthrax. The VX was particularly fun, because if you somehow took your mask off, you were dead in under 10 minutes. Had to wear all that gear for hours. That training was intense. One of the more memorable things I ever did as part of my EMT service.

And yet people are bitching about wearing a cloth mask for 10 minutes while they go through a McDs fastfood line. Can I wake up back to reality, please?

OverTheTop

Reaction score

afadeev

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
There was a theory that they were keeping us inside so they could change the batteries in the birds. But it looks like they are using masks AND birds to keep an eye on us:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/pigeonsarentreal/posts/
I have to confess, I hate pigeons (aka flying sh*t bombs) with passion.

On the other hand, here is one of the reasons Cali is now leading US in CV19 test positives (though my money is still on FL to overtake it):

Last edited:

Joshua F Thomas

Reaction score
On the other hand, here is one of the reasons Cali is now leading US in CV19 tests (though my money is still on FL to overtake it):
FL and CA are both trending down (thankfully), and CA's per-week rate is currently above FL's per-week rate, so I would not take that bet.

NateB

Reaction score
When I worked at Cedar Point, people always asked me my why I put the umbrella up on my lifeguard stand before the nightly fireworks started. The seagulls there are pretty brave when it comes to people, but were always startled by the fireworks. It only took one time needing to jump in the pool and rinse off to learn my lesson.

PatD

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
When I worked at Cedar Point, people always asked me my why I put the umbrella up on my lifeguard stand before the nightly fireworks started. The seagulls there are pretty brave when it comes to people, but were always startled by the fireworks. It only took one time needing to jump in the pool and rinse off to learn my lesson.
Sounds like a really crappy job. :D

NateB

Reaction score
Sounds like a really crappy job. :D
Just the one time. Otherwise, I was 18 and lived/worked in an amusement park with 3000 other kids my age during the Summers off from college.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score

On the other hand, here is one of the reasons Cali is now leading US in CV19 test positives (though my money is still on FL to overtake it):
Gotta love it.

“I don’t wear a mask because I don’t want to rebreath my carbon MONOxide.”

“I don’t need it because we’re on the beach and breathing saltwater kills the virus.”

“I left it in my car.”

“The virus stuff is all a lie”. (There are over 160,000 Americans that WISH they were still alive to argue about that one.)

For the record, I have nothing against obese people. The one dude that was really rude is going to be up the creek without a paddle if he gets the virus. I just finished my night shift reading chest films (lots and lots and LOTS of chest films), CTS, ultrasounds, etc. for ER and ICU. Nearly all the people in our (now at 90% capacity) ICU with Covid are obese, mostly morbidly obese. Whether it’s chronic inflammation from obesity or just that there is so much more work for the diaphragm shoving all that abdominal fat around, these poor individuals do not do well when infected.

What’s really frightening? If it is this hard to get people to wear a mask (given away for free), how hard is it going to be to get everyone vaccinated if and when a good tested and proven vaccine is available? Ah well, at least a vaccine protects the RECIPIENT who gets the vaccine, as opposed to the mask, which is something you where because you care about OTHERS.

afadeev

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
What’s really frightening? If it is this hard to get people to wear a mask (given away for free), how hard is it going to be to get everyone vaccinated if and when a good tested and proven vaccine is available?
Getting vaccine distributed nationwide WILL BE a full-on sh*t show.
Trump is anti-vaxer, so we've got the Fox audience covered. Unless he is out of the office by then, but there are plenty of alt-right alternatives waiting in the wings.
To those you will now have to add a bunch of alt-left anti-vaxers, so they will bring a section of the MSNBC audience to the mix.
Should be sadly entertaining.

Ah well, at least a vaccine protects the RECIPIENT who gets the vaccine, as opposed to the mask, which is something you where because you care about OTHERS.
Those are our secret weapons: egotism + natural selection!

modeltrains

Reaction score
At the core of it all is a problem that predates the coronavirus crisis: a lack of communication and trust between management and labor. In good times, this relationship is saturated with complications because management ultimately answers to politicians, and politicians often have other concerns than providing good service and treating workers fairly. For example, multiple workers told Motherboard they were initially instructed not to wear masks, because management didn’t want to scare riders, a concern that seems unbearably quaint today.