Mask Wearing Rant

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
From what I can see from the mask wearing styles of most fast food workers and many WallyWorld workers, customers are well protected from Stubble 19. Yes, they are wearing masks, most of them are completely and effectively covering their chins. I feel well protected from stray hairs.
Occasionally it actually covers the mouth. Rarely does it cover the nose.

Come on, who DOESN'T REALLY know how a mask is supposed to be worn, and who in their right mind thinks a mask on her chin is doing anything.

I am sorry, but everyone has seen either real or TV wear a mask. It's not even Low Power Rocket Science

Okay, I feel a little better. Thank you

boatgeek

Reaction score
There was an employee at Home Depot yesterday who had a Lawrence of Arabia thing going with a dish towel over his hair and wrapped around his face. Well, it was that way originally but by the time I saw him, the face wrapping part was totally loose. Perhaps needless to say, he did not appear to be from The Middle East.

neil_w

Hunkered down and slowly going crazy
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Come on, who DOESN'T REALLY know how a mask is supposed to be worn, and who in their right mind thinks a mask on her chin is doing anything.
You're not wrong.

I really want to at least give them some sort of credit for attempting to wear a mask at all, but given that what they're doing is completely ineffective I just can't.

Manager's job to make sure they're all doing it correctly.

Wally Ferrer

SRE
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
You're not wrong.

I really want to at least give them some sort of credit for attempting to wear a mask at all, but given that what they're doing is completely ineffective I just can't.

Manager's job to make sure they're all doing it correctly.
This is why when I do venture out I wear my N95 properly, and I don't linger.

Funkworks

Reaction score
I'll be the devil's advocate here, so here are reasons why someone might improperly wear a mask:
  1. to breath better when walking (or running or cycling)) down a sidewalk on a warm day
  2. to make sure others understand spoken words because understanding someone talk through a mask can be difficult
  3. wearing a mask on a chin is still better than none at all, because at least it's available if someone insists, and it keeps people "in the mood"
  4. when more than 6 feet away or separated by plexiglas (i.e. at a cashier), a mask isn't adding much anyway
I consider my mask as a ventilation system with an adjustable flow rate.

o1d_dude

'I battle gravity'
Reaction score
I ordered a mask from the Gun For Hire range in New Jersey.

It looks like a topless balaclava that says “Gun For Hire”.

Supposed to arrive in a few days.

9C2216EE-28A6-4B38-B97F-AE359D470671.jpeg

prfesser

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I'll be the devil's advocate here, so here are reasons why someone might improperly wear a mask:
  1. to breath better when walking (or running or cycling)) down a sidewalk on a warm day
  2. to make sure others understand spoken words because understanding someone talk through a mask can be difficult
  3. wearing a mask on a chin is still better than none at all, because at least it's available if someone insists, and it keeps people "in the mood"
  4. when more than 6 feet away or separated by plexiglas (i.e. at a cashier), a mask isn't adding much anyway
I understand why some don't wear a mask properly, and why some don't wear one at all. I understand why people like to smoke cigarettes. I understand why people like abusing cocaine/heroin/prescription drugs/whatever. I'm all for personal freedom.

But their personal freedom ends at my body and/or my nostrils. If these people had even an INKLING that some of the public--or some dearly loved relative---might get COVID19 from them...

For some, it doesn't get real until Mom/Dad/Grandpa/Grandma/Uncle/Aunt gets it.

It's a ******* ******* shame that some people are so ******* selfish that they refuse to get it until it affects them personally. And it's ****** funny (not ha-ha funny, strange/sad funny) that when dearly beloved Grandpa gets it, they suddenly change their views.

I am comforted slightly by the fact that half of the world is below average in intelligence (not IQ, just general intelligence, ability to reason, and concern for their fellow human beings). Those people are at the deep end of the evolutionary pool, and will be the first to drown in it, leaving the rest of the world an epsilon increment smarter. :rolleyes:

Best -- Terry

manixFan

Not a rocket scientist
Reaction score
I wonder where all those folks are complaining about their personal freedom being taken away because they can get a ticket for not wearing a seat belt. How is wearing a mask any different? Yet I don't see protesters driving by police stations dangling their seatbelt out the window.

Tony

neil_w

Hunkered down and slowly going crazy
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
An interesting aspect of the mask whining (and a distinction from seatbelt wearing) is that you primarily wear a mask to protect others. We all wear masks to protect everyone. So it gives a bit of insight into the thought process and priorities of those who refuse to wear one.
I am comforted slightly by the fact that half of the world is below average in intelligence (not IQ, just general intelligence, ability to reason, and concern for their fellow human beings).
Ok I'll be that guy: half the world is below median intelligence. ;)

Peartree

Cyborg Rocketeer
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
I ventured out, in the afternoon, to Lowe's hardware today. I won't be doing that again. I stopped to pick up a few bags of much to finish a project we'd already started only but I was only stopping because it's across the street for Tractor Supply Company where I was resupplying our stash of dog food at the curbside pickup. TSC was, as always, very good. Everyone in masks, and they come out promptly with my order when we call and tell them we are in the designated pick up space. Lowe's was overcrowded and, although the staff was wearing masks (a saw a few pulled down, outside, but only when they were well away from customers) fully 80 or 90 percent of the customers were not wearing masks. When we has stopped a week or two ago, it was much different with at least 60 percent wearing masks. Today, mask wearers were in the minority and many were almost completely ignoring six foot spacing recommendations. I won't go out in the afternoon again for a very long time. If I need to return, I will limit my visits to the early AM hours when only the contractors are there.

o1d_dude

'I battle gravity'
Reaction score

Those people are at the deep end of the evolutionary pool, and will be the first to drown in it, leaving the rest of the world an epsilon increment smarter. :rolleyes:

Best -- Terry
I submit they are in the shallow end of the evolutionary pool and will drown when they trip and fall.

OTOH, entropy always seems to favor the fool.

afadeev

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder where all those folks are complaining about their personal freedom being taken away because they can get a ticket for not wearing a seat belt. How is wearing a mask any different? Yet I don't see protesters driving by police stations dangling their seatbelt out the window.
Fair point, although a closer analogy is that of second-hand smoking.
If you choose to smoke in the privacy of your home - go for it.
If you choose to blow the smoke into my and my kids faces - you are out of line, and in most jurisdictions, you are breaking the law.

This, and other similar analogies, are carefully avoided by those who are choosing to politicize mask wearing and other Covid-19 epidemic containment measures.
Including a good number of our elected officials.

I ventured out, in the afternoon, to Lowe's hardware today. I won't be doing that again. [...] Lowe's was overcrowded and, although the staff was wearing masks (a saw a few pulled down, outside, but only when they were well away from customers) fully 80 or 90 percent of the customers were not wearing masks. When we has stopped a week or two ago, it was much different with at least 60 percent wearing masks. Today, mask wearers were in the minority and many were almost completely ignoring six foot spacing recommendations. I won't go out in the afternoon again for a very long time.
There are 'HUGE regional and cultural differences in attitudes towards mask wearing.
I also went hardware shopping today, to a local Home Depot. 100% of the customers and staff we wearing masks, and customers we were remarkably courteous to each other, leaving plenty of room to pass without rubbing shoulders.
Similar experience at a local Costco. Admission lines were gone, and everyone was wearing masks, without exception. Front door employees were wiping carts before customer grabs one, were handing out anti-bacterial wipes, and took over the cart to scan all the items on your behalf during the check-out. The last part is nice, as one used to have to unload the cart onto the belt in the past. Now staff does it all for you, and asks customers to stay way back.

I've been pleasantly surprised how the vast majority of the folks in NJ/NY/CT region has responded to the Covid-19 emergency.
We have our own share of knuckleheads, but they are quickly ridiculed, slut-shamed into fitting in, and if that doesn't work, aggressively ostracized. Pretty much the BAU response that is easily recognizable by those who have lived here, that is rooted in the cultural heritage of Puritans and Calvinists who valued individual sacrifice for the common good.

Many areas of Southern NJ are reacting very differently, right inline with what you are describing from Ohio (I lived there too). Both areas are parts of the "Midlands", where any government regulation is frowned upon.

The other cultural regions in the US (based on the feedback from friends and family) are falling in line with what one would expect from their corresponding cultural "nation":

AfterBurners

Reaction score
I either were an N95 mask or a bandana which for me covers from my nose down pass my chin and neck. I also make sure to keep a safe didtance from anyone else and not hang out.

Last edited:

Steven

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I've yet to step outside since February 26. I can occupy myself for a long, long time. That's what personal interests are for.

les

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I saw a news article that some places are now refusing to serve you if you ARE wearing a mask...
Really?????????????

o1d_dude

'I battle gravity'
Reaction score
There’s more truth to this than many care to admit.

Especially if you live in state where criminals are released from jail but moms are arrested for taking their kids to the park while Karens cheer.

Funny how they never thought to give the jail population N95 masks, innit?

67K prisoners released. What does this have to do with the WuFlu?

C04ED6D4-C02B-4928-B8BB-F3BE88B49773.jpeg

Last edited:

vcp

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am grateful for those places that have senior shopping hours (Costco, Walmart), and have used them almost exclusively. I stopped at Target this afternoon where not one-in-twenty were wearing masks and there were many groups not distancing. I didn't get what I went there for, and won't be going back (ordered from Amazon instead). Harbor Freight at about the same time-of-day was doing well; only about 30% masked but they were limiting people in the store so that it was so uncrowded that it only took a fraction of the usual time to get what I wanted there.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
Outdoors, there is next to no reason to wear a mask (if you can maintain 6 feet) and it might be hazardous to wear one during exercise. Long-periods of exercise with a mask will lower your Oxygen level and raise carbon dioxide. Low enough and you could caid ischemia to heart or brain. Syncope (passing out) is a real risk.

Kelly

Usually remembers to get the pointy end up
Reaction score
There's people saying "We need to reopen as soon as possible, and get back to 'normal'". And I agree with them 100%. But if they're saying that, but refusing to social distance, wear a mask at all times, etc., then they're hypocrites. We'll get back to 'normal' when people take this seriously, and do everything within reason to help prevent the spread of this disease. Not by running around pretending it's your 'right' to spread a deadly disease to others just because you can't be inconvenienced.
As I spend my dollars, I'm looking for merchants that are also serious about getting our economy going again. If you can't even be bothered to make your own employees wear masks, you won't be getting my business anymore. Not today, and not after COVID-19 is in our rearview mirror.

jlabrasca

Reaction score
Occasionally it actually covers the mouth. Rarely does it cover the nose
Do you offer correction when you see this?

I wore a mask and gloves (as part of a bunny suit) every working day for years. It surprised me how quickly, and easily, the habit of scolding people to "mask up!" came back.

Outdoors, there is next to no reason to wear a mask (if you can maintain 6 feet)
That "maintain 6 feet" part is tricky. Walking on city streets, there are lots of blind corners, Wearing a mask while outdoors is also a way to signal to other folks that you are taking this seriously. There are loud voices saying very stupid things to devoted audiences. The prospect being the only naked face in a sea of masks might help keep the knuckleheads at home.

I finally got around to reading this:

As [E.A of the Consoolidated Health Board] stated at end of the city’s bout with influenza, “The biggest thing we have had to fight in the influenza epidemic has been apathy, or perhaps the careless selfishness of the public.

Its depressing how closely it resembles the sequence now playing out on a a global scale.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.
-- Charles Mackay

FredA

Reaction score
Yes, can't stress that conclusion enough:
“The biggest thing we have had to fight in the influenza epidemic has been apathy, or perhaps the careless selfishness of the public.”

Don't be that guy, that person, that business that puts themselves above others....
I'm with Kelly -- I plan to remember which businesses cared and which didn't and spend accordingly.

UncleJoe

Reaction score
From what I can see from the mask wearing styles of most fast food workers and many WallyWorld workers, customers are well protected from Stubble 19. Yes, they are wearing masks, most of them are completely and effectively covering their chins. I feel well protected from stray hairs.
Occasionally it actually covers the mouth. Rarely does it cover the nose.

I am sorry, but everyone has seen either real or TV wear a mask. It's not even Low Power Rocket Science

Okay, I feel a little better. Thank you
I'm an essential employee, I do medical robotics. I've worn masks in hospitals when needed but all the time is detrimental to ones respiratory system. As people walk around blindly wearing their masks and being good lemings will find health problems they reward. Also think, the CDC tells you cloth makes a mask that will work well for you yet they require the N95 mask. Their information and insights have been so far off. They might do better throwing darts. I don't have any trust in the CDC so I'll live on my knowledge and years in a hospital. Don't be a lemings, think.

jrap330

Retired Engineer, NAR # 76940
Reaction score
I saw a news article that some places are now refusing to serve you if you ARE wearing a mask...
Really?????????????
No that is misinformation based on some rants on social media. One state or county passed a law that no one wearing mask would be serve...before pandemic. As mask wearers are usually crooks...pandemic hit a few weeks later and then mask wearing being obligatory. Unfortunately they now have to go thru and repeal the law. News article on things not true this week.

NateB

Reaction score
Also think, the CDC tells you cloth makes a mask that will work well for you yet they require the N95 mask.
The cloth/surgical masks help protect others by limiting the amount of droplets you spread through your surroundings.

The N95 protects the wearer from breathing in pathogens.

Neither are 100% effective and don't claim to be.

UncleJoe

Reaction score
Reporter: Which do you think is a bigger problem in American society, Ignorance or Apathy?

Citizen: I don‘t know and I don’t care!
Shame they don't see this is their doing. Seems one can't trust the news, they feel the first amendment means I care about their opinions.