Marvin Martian Jr. Flies!!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmmome

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It finally happened- Tripoli Mid-Ohio's Saturday launch at their huge field in South Charlestion, OH was the site.

Six feet tall- 65 pounds- four feet wide including fins. Aerotech L1520 "Blue Thunder" 75mm reload. Two Perfectflite StratologgerCF altimeters. Top Flight Recovery 14 foot main chute and 50" nosecone chute. Two Mobius Actioncams onboard. My granddaughter's blinking mini robot as a passenger.

Short but sweet flight to 817 feet. With the exception of the fake engine bell being blown off during powered flight, no damage at all, even with a quite "bouncy" landing.

My thanks to all those at Tripoli Mid-Ohio who helped me carry this way-too-heavy-for-me rocket to & from the launch field. You have a GREAT group!!!

And my thanks to the St. Louis Kaboom Krewe for their 10 feet tall/400pound+ inspiration for this build.

Nice! What's coming down on the little 'chute? The robot? The red thing is the robot? Pretty neat. I've thought about ejecting a paratrooper, glad to see someone else has accomplished it!

Oh man, this is incredible! I'd have been happy to see a measely 3-4" diam version!

Nice! What's coming down on the little 'chute? The robot? The red thing is the robot? Pretty neat. I've thought about ejecting a paratrooper, glad to see someone else has accomplished it!
Here's the little "robot" my granddaughter gave me. The red thing is the BB & epoxy-filled nosecone to give it the forward weight necessary. I determined that i needed to give the nosecone its own parachute, because the weight of the rocket body was at the edge of "landing survival" for the 14 foot parachute. It was fun to get a glimpse of the nosecone under it's red chute in a few video frames.

Attachments

• FILE0002.JPG
    FILE0002.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 24
Here's the little "robot" my granddaughter gave me. The red thing is the BB & epoxy-filled nosecone to give it the forward weight necessary. I determined that i needed to give the nosecone its own parachute, because the weight of the rocket body was at the edge of "landing survival" for the 14 foot parachute. It was fun to get a glimpse of the nosecone under it's red chute in a few video frames.
Oh, that's grand! Kids get such a kick out of that!

Spectacular! Loved that unexpected bat-outta-hell launch and overall coolness factor.
Given the weight and the weird shape, i thought I'd better get it up FAST. Even so, it still took a right turn eventually. An "M" motor with 600+ pounds ma.x thrust would have done a better job in keeping it straight. I may try that next time.

You just might have to come down to St. Louis in November with your model... We are hoping to fly ours then.

Back