MARSA33LHD Out of production

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jderimig

TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
Today I shipped the last Marsa33LHD. All good things must come to an end. Its been a struggle the last year or so sourcing parts and I learned alot about sourcing reliable genuine parts from unconventional methods (convention methods = Mouser, Digikey). I had to throw up my hands when I got a notice that chips that were supposed to be shipping in March have been delayed to Dec 2023. No mas.

Good news is that a new replacement product, the Marsa33Z, is coming and first production boards have been ordered. If all goes well it should be available in a few months after a thorough checkout.

John - Any chance you have gyro modules available?
I thought I did but the last production batch I got were not able to be programmed. Don't know if I got bad boards or bad chips. Frustrating troubleshooting going on now.

I thought I did but the last production batch I got were not able to be programmed. Don't know if I got bad boards or bad chips. Frustrating troubleshooting going on now.

Got it, whenever you have more to sell, I will be first in line :)

I love my Marsa33LHD and excited to see what is next. One question, do you flight test the prototypes? If so, any details on the flight test?

I love my Marsa33LHD and excited to see what is next. One question, do you flight test the prototypes? If so, any details on the flight test?
Yes flight tests of course. So far nothing surprising. The design platform is basically similar. Some passive components have been changed. Reliability and life stress testing those on the bench and in the oven.

I do, but hadn't had a mach flight yet. The flight code is identical, the only difference is the driver for the new baro sensor.

Changes are:
Baro sensor - MS5637 instead of analog sensor
New Joystick - previous one OOP
Expansion header - PX4 style low profile
Louder beeper
Brighter channel LEDS
Blue PCB
95% firmware unchanged

Nice! One suggestion if easy and safe to implement. I recommend "simulation" mode require the LCD to be plugged in. This prevents a loose wire from potentially holding the joystick while prepping the rocket, and having the pyros go off. I realize fliers should have neat ebays but if this can be easily implemented, it seems prudent.

I do, but hadn't had a mach flight yet. The flight code is identical, the only difference is the driver for the new baro sensor.

Changes are:
Baro sensor - MS5637 instead of analog sensor
New Joystick - previous one OOP
Expansion header - PX4 style low profile
Louder beeper
Brighter channel LEDS
Blue PCB
95% firmware unchanged
Louder beeper: us old guys appreciate that!

Louder beeper: us old guys appreciate that!

What did you say?!

Another helpful one for old pharts is the ability to change the beep frequency. I don't remember if MARSA supports that, but I've seen it in one or two altimeters - handy feature that lets people with some hearing loss adjust to a frequency they can hear better.

What did you say?!

Another helpful one for old pharts is the ability to change the beep frequency. I don't remember if MARSA supports that, but I've seen it in one or two altimeters - handy feature that lets people with some hearing loss adjust to a frequency they can hear better.
I use this feature to differentiate two Marsas in the same AV bay.

Nice! One suggestion if easy and safe to implement. I recommend "simulation" mode require the LCD to be plugged in. This prevents a loose wire from potentially holding the joystick while prepping the rocket, and having the pyros go off. I realize fliers should have neat ebays but if this can be easily implemented, it seems prudent.
That is an excellent suggestion. I am not sure if I can detect if the screen is plugged in, I will check.

Do you expect the mounting footprint will be the same?
Here is view of Marsa33Z, it will be very familar for existing Marsa33 owners...

1678368852722.png

How are things going on the new Marsa? Are the old ones till discontinued?
Still delayed abit with split effort on another new platform. And its summer. Electronics and software tends to go fast in the colder months.

Hi John-please discuss the availability of purchasing MARSA Net boards or prospective dates of availability. Also, what new MARSA ancillaries are on the drawing board.
Fred

Understood. Can we still get the older model?
Not at this time.
Hi John-please discuss the availability of purchasing MARSA Net boards or prospective dates of availability. Also, what new MARSA ancillaries are on the drawing board.
Fred
Unfortunately, MarsaNet boards are indefinitely unavailable status right now.

The Marsa line is moving to a new processor and OS platform (RTOS) and I am not able to support both at the same time, unless I retire.....

Hi John, Any updates on the Marsa boards? Your website still allows me to purchase one but I am not sure if it is an error. Thanks, Alex

Back