Mars Snooper Clone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Byrum

Overstable By Design
Reaction score
After printing the shroud and tube marking guide page from JimZ's site, I see that they didn't measure up. So I can only assume the fin template is not to scale either. Then again, maybe i did something wrong. My other option was to just ask if anyone here remembered to scan the plans from one of their own Snoop builds.

Scaled pdf files would be exceptionally nice. I have no idea why suddenly I want to build one of these. I like the Snoop, but it hasn't been a model I considered cloning. OK, so can cough up the necessary template files? :grin:

After printing the shroud and tube marking guide page from JimZ's site, I see that they didn't measure up. So I can only assume the fin template is not to scale either. Then again, maybe i did something wrong. My other option was to just ask if anyone here remembered to scan the plans from one of their own Snoop builds.

Scaled pdf files would be exceptionally nice. I have no idea why suddenly I want to build one of these. I like the Snoop, but it hasn't been a model I considered cloning. OK, so can cough up the necessary template files? :grin:

Have you considered the available BMS kit or the Estes reissue? Are there critical differences that make either or both of these unacceptable? I ask because I am planning a build as well, and recently did pick up the reissued kit at just about what the BMS costs.

If a slightly off-sized template page includes the fin marking guide, is it not a simple matter to resize it to the known-with-precision body tube outside circumference?

Last edited:
Al, most people here might be aware that I'm not much of a kit person for a number of reasons. I could list all of them, but building from scratch is preferred. I get to use the kinds of parts you aren't likely to find in a kit. CR's & shock cords are usually substandard or not preferred (by my standards) I don't like adding new engine hooks to the pile of unused engine hooks I have collected. Die cut fins are blasphemy. Nuff said? OH, and there's that cost factor. I can usually scratch build a model for 1/3 of retail cost. And it's more than likely I already have 90% of the parts. I'm well stocked.

Really though, I like crafting my models and don't mind going the distance.

Al, most people here might be aware that I'm not much of a kit person for a number of reasons. I could list all of them, but building from scratch is preferred. I get to use the kinds of parts you aren't likely to find in a kit. CR's & shock cords are usually substandard or not preferred (by my standards) I don't like adding new engine hooks to the pile of unused engine hooks I have collected. Die cut fins are blasphemy. Nuff said? OH, and there's that cost factor. I can usually scratch build a model for 1/3 of retail cost. And it's more than likely I already have 90% of the parts. I'm well stocked.

OK, just trying to be of help.

Die cut fins? I guess its been awhile since you built a kit. :)

I did a build on my blog using the shrouds printed from the JimZ website.
There were some adjustments to be made:

Already been to your site. You have great details to read. Bringing the wrap/shroud image into Autocad won't be a big problem to trace & scale. I can at least, size it up based on the tube wrap lengths. This will allow me to get the shrouds to size up. Right now, the wrap for the BT 5 is 1/8" short, and the BT 20 wrap is 3/16" short. If I size the whole page up, I should get an accurate print of everything. I suppose I could always use a shroud maker proggy to make them, but I'll loose those nifty marking lines.

NOW, the fin template will be another story. I'll need the exact length of a straight root edge of one of the fins to use for scaling.
This approach is always a go-to if I can't land an already scaled template. I'll settle for just that one measurement if you have it. The rest is just time spent drawing and scaling.

Die cut fins? I guess its been awhile since you built a kit. :)

Are you saying there are kits that DON"T have die cut fins? Been a long time since I heard of that. I thought die cut was today's standard. And no, I haven't built many kits at all in a great number of years. What I did build though, had die cut fins.

Are you saying there are kits that DON"T have die cut fins? Been a long time since I heard of that. I thought die cut was today's standard. And no, I haven't built many kits at all in a great number of years. What I did build though, had die cut fins.

Today's standard is laser cut balsa and plywood. I'll agree that rolling your own offers a lot of satisfaction, but there are some pretty slick kits/designs that would be a nightmare to clone due to the complexity of the laser-cut parts. I worked for a prototyping shop for a couple years, and really miss having access to their laser cutter/engraver. Besides fins, lasers are just amazing for producing custom centering rings, slotting body tubes, etc. The small lasers are much cheaper now, but still kind of pricey for a hobbyist tool.

One thing I truly enjoy is turning nose cones on my lathe. Balsa turns fairly well, but basswood, while being heavier than balsa, turns beautifully. If weight is an issue, hollowing adds just a bit of complexity (similar to turning a vase).

I would guess the kits you've done in the recent past (e.g. the Semroc Mars Lander) used laser-cut, not die-cut.

Today's standard is laser cut balsa and plywood.

One thing I truly enjoy is turning nose cones on my lathe. .

I suppose I meant "laser". My bad. My lathe btw,has been one of my better investments. What with upscaled kit designs and certain custom noses, I've turned quite a few. Made some Cmas presents with it too. I've already figured I'd have to turn 3 of the pod cones for an upscale version of the MS.

Back