Mars Lander ... old and new

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnmiller

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
On the left is my old Mars Lander built when I was 12 or so, a veteran of multiple flights including a few hard landings. Survival of multiple moves. Long retired!

On the right is my new just completed Semroc clone. First flight possibly next week. My building techniques have improved a little in 45 years! The sharp eyed among you will notice a little tribute to the old Estes version on the new ML..something unique to the Estes kit, not normally found on the Semroc.. you may have to blow the pic up to see it.004_88.jpg

Very nice. I think it's great that you've brought this with you through the years (I've got a Pioneer stereo system that's been with me since 1974--still rock'n on). I'm not a BAR (just got into model rocketry about 3 years ago), but is the tribute the radio dish?

Very nice. I think it's great that you've brought this with you through the years (I've got a Pioneer stereo system that's been with me since 1974--still rock'n on). I'm not a BAR (just got into model rocketry about 3 years ago), but is the tribute the radio dish?

No, the old Estes had a dish too.. I embellished it slightly on the Semroc by adding a spherical collector at the tip of the toothpick
and also painting it silver, but that's not the little tribute. Good guess though!

I"m going to guess... the silver "pneumatic" shock absorbers on the landing legs.

Back