Mars InSight in a power crisis

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
InSite is in a relatively wind-free area. While it may happen, a cleaning event is not likely. Need to make it until summer.....

Why not have a device to blow Martian atmosphere on the panels? Suck in - blow out...
The Martian atmosphere is very thin, and there really isn't much to 'suck in' - so there wouldn't be much to 'blow out'. Probably would require a gas supply (with associated tank) built into the lander. Adds weight, and you know what problems that brings. Designing the arm to be able to reach the panels and to have a 'brush' attachment might be feasible, but that increases the possibility of damage due to an 'accident'.

Rovers (Perseverance and Curiosity) have plutonium-based thermal electric generators.
Sorry, I totally missed your response yesterday. Good point - I was wrong to specify rovers. But the intent of what I was getting at is still there - surely there's a solution for this on solar powered devices sent to Mars?

Need a good Martian window washer!
fbe4d5802dfc3535237d3ed88277799b.jpg

Back