March MPR/HPR Best Rocket Competition - Open

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pantherjon

Reaction score
Sorry for the tardiness:eek:. My internet connection went bonkers yesterday afternoon..But here it is! :)

Please go visit our sponsor this month, StickerShock23, Never fly naked! :) Now, on to the contest, and remember this is the MPR/HPR contest..;)

This is the official location of The Rocketry Forum Best Rocket Competition. This is a monthly event to show off your "stuff" and find out who has THE BEST ROCKET OF THE MONTH! When entering, make sure you follow the criteria listed below and you will do fine. From the 21st(or there about) until the end of the month we'll be polling to see who should win the Best Rocket Competition.

Double check to make sure you entering in the correct 'power level' thread! Only ONE entry per person per month(no entering BOTH LPR and MPR/HPR in a single given month!). The thread titles will reflect the power level: XXX Best Rocket Competition LPR or XXX Best Rocket Competition MPR/HPR.

Da Rulez

1. Header of picture should include, name, what kit or was it custom, LPR, MPR or HPR. Example: LPR Estes Hijinx..Put this in the 'title' block when posting.
2. A BRIEF description of rocket details. Anything that would make it apparent to somebody that yours is THE BEST.
3. Only ONE entry per person per month(no entering BOTH LPR and MPR/HPR in a single given month!).
4. Please no extended off topic conversations.
5. Rockets made at any period of time may be used.Rocket needs to be in your possession/fleet at the time of the competition!
5A. Rockets entered MUST have at least one successful flight. Not simulated, but real world flying through the sky type..with successful recovery.
5b. If proof of a successful flight is documented and the rocket suffers a loss in a subsequent flight, it is still eligible for consideration and will be judged in the 'prior to loss' state.
6. Rocket may be entered into the current months competition only ONCE! Rocket may be entered into a following months competition if it fits the given category.
7. If there is a monthly specified type of contest (such as red, white and blue themed), you can only enter rockets that are applicable.
8. Entries will be taken first 3 weeks of month and after the 21st of every month the contest closes.
9. The last week of the month we will be polling on who should win in each class.
10. Winners get bragging rights for a month!

Theme
Theme for this month is 'OPEN' so anything goes!

So, show us your awesome builds!

Remember detail, details, details! So don't be shy, include extra photos of the little bits that make YOUR model extra special!
If you entry is a kit, let us know who's kit it is!

PRIZE(S)

Prize this month from our awesome sponsor StickerShock is $30 toward ANY stock or custom vinyl stickers EXCEPT printed vinyl..Never fly naked rockets!:eek:

So, let's get those entries in!

Ok, to throw out that not everything is three fins and a nose cone, here's my LOC starfighter. I added a aeropack retainer because it's just the right thing to do. It's painted with Silver Metallic Duplicolor to make the metal pop and Barry's decals for fun!
It flew at my testing grounds in Durham CT on a CTI 24 F240 because I wanted high impulse and was afraid to throw it up too high on it's maiden voyage. Wouldn't fly it in high winds but will definitely bring it out when it's calm!
No mach busting, minimum diameter high altitude rocket here, just a really cool flight that you can see all of!

star fighter one.jpg

star fighter two.jpg

This is Swamp Thing, an all scratch built rocket.
Specs:
6in. diameter
10 ft. tall
60 Lbs.
1 central 54 and 4 out board 38's
Built from PML tubes(glassed) with 1/10 inch thick carbon plate fins.
Flown on a central K454 skidmark and 4 I297 skidmarks.
Missile works mini said 3838 ft.
picture.php

picture.php

And for extra incentive, here's the video taken by Scott Goebel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WAbT5-B_Do

Manny

Last edited:
This is a Wildman Drago kit.

Being a huge Godzilla fan and being a 'Drago' it was a moral imperative to salute the big guy!

I gave it one of my typical fade paint jobs and faded in the images.

Great thing with this....

Perfect Class 1 rocket that puts on a great show for kids on Dirty Harry's or Skids.

[YOUTUBE]l6CigRUYqCs[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]G5BBHmyF1nc[/YOUTUBE]

I Love Tokyo 009.jpg

combined.jpg

jan launch 004.jpg

I Love Tokyo 005.jpg

I Love Tokyo 010.jpg

This is my scratch built Nike Hercules. 50" long. 29mm central motor mount with four 1.5" outer booster tubes. The transition between the lower and upper stage I hand carved/shaped from a 4"X4" solid balsa block. The upper stage is a 2.5" tube where the chute is packed. It's built like a tank so it's weight is 3.5lbs. 5 ounces of weight was added in the NC to get my CG at a 2.27 caliber. This was not kit built, but was all from ideas in my head and pictures of actual rockets. Successfully flown yesterday at Tulsa Rocket Club launch on a single Aerotech 29mm H180W with a 7 second delay to approx. 950ft altitude. This was my most ambitious scratch build to date so the applause from the crowd on touch down was icing on the cake!
March Club Launch 010.jpg

finishedherc.jpg

[YOUTUBE]beLXjBRs8Po[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator:
I just realized that my previous post didn't show pictures so here goes:

Specs:
6in. diameter
10 ft. tall
60 Lbs.
And for extra incentive, here's the video taken by Scott Goebel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WAbT5-B_Do

ST cheesey pose.jpg

user6253_pic861_1298320529.jpg

The short version

Scratch built, hand wrapped Star Scratcher
3" in diameter
6.5' tall
6.5 lbs empty
aerotech k 270
10,518ft

The Full story
The Rocket :This is my scratch built Star Scratcher . This rocket started as a roll of fiberglass and a motor case from a retiring rocketeer. I looked into rolling airframe tubes and decided to make my own fiberglass tubes opposed to buying paper/phenolic and reinforcing them. I rolled 2 3" body tubes one~30" and the other ~34" as well as a 54mm motor mount tube. Construction continued to form a fully dual deployment capable rocket, similar to a performance rocketry intimidator.
The Launch: My first flight was scheduled as a shake down flight on an aerotech I-600. The first flight went well with perfect DD recovery. Larger motors would have to wait, because I am only 17 and Jr. Lvl 1 certified . The rest of the day was spent watching other launches and talking to fellow racketeers. Until, when there was only an hour and a half of sun light left, the local motor dealer held up a motor ,K270,from the "cheap" box. Two other experienced rocketeers egged me on to buy the motor and fly it, both expecting a sensational flight in a rocket of its size with calm ground winds. The excitement continued to rise as I began to give into the idea; until the issue of age and certification arose. This was not something that the two older rocket guys would allow to stop the flight, so one committed to be responsible for the flight. I quickly repacked parachutes and we loaded in the motor. The skimpy 6lb rocket had turned into a 12lb monster ready to leap into the sky. The rocket was loaded onto the pad with a Garmin Astro tracker onboard, the rail was aligned, the altimeter armed and ready for launch. My heart felt as though is stopped as the countdown started 3.....2.....1....launch. A flame almost the length of the rocket appeared from the back of the rocket as it ascended into the heavens. The eight second burn propelled the rocket to 10,518' with a max speed of almost 950ft/s. I set off in the car with the astro unit and successfully recovered the rocket a mile away. It was a sensational launch that will be remembered by all present at the launch.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBVQMJAiqqM[/YOUTUBE]

DSC_0764.jpg

DSC_1041.jpg

DSC_1090.jpg

Rocket Specs:

Scratch Built

Rocket Name: Tow Fish

Dia: 4.0"

Length: 67"

Motor Mount: 54mm

Weight: 10.6lbs loaded with a 3G 54mm

This rocket has flown twice before, both successful.
I don't have any video or pictures, but do have the ARTS file from the last flight at NERRF 6. I intend on flying at this month MDRA launch on Sun March 20 ( if the weather permits)

TowFish4.0.JPG

TowFish2c.JPG

TFFlightdataj1260.JPG

J1260BB.JPG

A picture from this weekends flight as promised:

TowFish55.JPG

JD

Last edited:
Get your entries in! Entry period to close tomorrow night(3/21) at midnight EDT(or when I get home from work, whichever is later)! :wink:

There are some fine entries now, but I know there are more out there! So let's see some rockets! :rant::cool:

I just realized that my previous post didn't show pictures so here goes:

Specs:
6in. diameter
10 ft. tall
60 Lbs.
Maybe I missed something?? Did you ever find it?? The vid stopped when you had the antenna out and mentioned you ope it didnt take out the RVers???

Oh, I thought that reporting that the missile works reported 3838 ft. Sorry, I did find it.
Manny

DING DING! Entry period is officially closed! Poll to be posted shortly!

Thanks to all who entered, and good luck! :)

Back