Maple seed recovery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BDB

Absent Minded Professor
Reaction score
I'm planning to build a rocket with two detachable boosters this winter. I could simply build fin-less boosters and recover them via streamer or parachute, but I'm interested in mounting one fin on each booster and attempting a dual maple seed recovery.

I have an Estes Tornado from the early 90s, and it is one of my favorite little rockets. I could just upscale it (This thread describes a BT-60 upscale) and strap it to the side of the rocket, but I'm interested in designing something that may look a little more like a conventional SRB. Are there any rules of thumb for designing maple seed recovery? Can OR model this recovery mode?

I'm planning to build a rocket with two detachable boosters this winter. I could simply build fin-less boosters and recover them via streamer or parachute, but I'm interested in mounting one fin on each booster and attempting a dual maple seed recovery.

I have an Estes Tornado from the early 90s, and it is one of my favorite little rockets. I could just upscale it (This thread describes a BT-60 upscale) and strap it to the side of the rocket, but I'm interested in designing something that may look a little more like a conventional SRB. Are there any rules of thumb for designing maple seed recovery? Can OR model this recovery mode?

There have been a fairly good number of Maple seed recovery rockets designed and built over the years. Some have been successfully UP and Down Scaled others don't do so well UpScaled.
Can't say there are any hard fast rules other then each seperate piece has to be designed to helicopter down on it's own with or without the motor casing remained installed.
The Actual Maple Seed rocket idea has been done in all kinds of scales from Micro T3 bodies size to BT-80 with largely good success.
I still can't upload pics so you'll have to go it alone.

This reminded me of the unfinished .ork file that was lost with the HD crash... (I now have a backup drive to prevent a recurrence of this problem). I can vouch for the dimensions, but not weights, nor flight characteristics in OR (which I don't believe are accurate here).

The error messages are linked to the "discontinuity in body tube diameter" which I'm too tired to try and hunt down. No OR magic was needed to make this work (other than making the motor tube a 2nd stage). I got the .ork file done, but can't upload here due to some glitch. File is up on YORF at this time though.

Thanks to JumpJet and hcmbanjo for the help on this file.

Last edited:
Back