Quantcast

Manufacturers Fireside Chat

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

jflis

Reaction score
It was brought up in a thread in the Coffee House: Chat Room Idea that a good use of the chat tool would be to schedule some events/topics/guests that would be of general interest to the members of TRF.

I had suggested "manufacturers" since there seems to be many such members here who are also manufacturers and the idea seemed to be well accepted but then we all got busy and there it sat.

Well, I would *still* like to explore this so I am planning on scheduling a chat session for FlisKits (with the moderators permission, of course)

The purpose of this thread is to prepare for such a chat as well as to announce it. I would propose a few ground rules to help this all work as smoothly as possible and help all to get as much as possible *out* of the event. (see first reply)

I would like to solicit "topics" or "adgenda items" that would be the theme of this first "Manufacturers Fireside Chat".

For the most part, I would expect to keep the chat on topic throughout the time alloted. NOTE: for this first one, I will not be very restrictive and will address any topic, but would still like to see what topics are desired so that I could prepare.

I would also like to ask for suggested start times and duration. I would think that we could entertain 4 duration times in 30 minute increments (30, 60, 90, 120 minutes) and start times could be any hour (on the hour) (please, lets not have a start time of 11:37... LOL)

Please keep in mind, START TIME for *me* would be EASTERN time, so take that into account.

I would also like to hear from our members overseas. If the desired start time prohibits your participating, I would like to set something up just for you folks. I can be online at any time, given enough notice and I don't want you guys to feel left out.

so, with all of this rambling...

Topics?
Agenda items?
Start time?
Duration?

Oh! Any preferred date? day? season? year?... ;)

jflis

Reaction score
I've hosted many such chats, both online and live, and know that such things rarely work well without rules.

The rules don't have to be complicated or "over thought", but need to be there to provide some order (the main reason why TRF even *works* is because there are rules and there are moderators)

Rules for the Manufacturers Fireside Chats would not be cast in stone, could be modified, enforced or ignored by any one *host* and are just a first cut that I think make sense (just my humble opinion...)

NOTE: I am proposing this set of general rules for *this* chat venue. Other venues, such as interviews, special guests, retailer, etc., would probably have different (or no) rules.

For this venue, the Host is a manufacturer.

The Host schedules the chat. At their descretion, they can solicit input as to topic, time, date, etc.

I think it would be easiest if the Host moderates their own chat session. They would be the ones to best decide if a question is on topic or if they even *want* to stay on topic

I would propose participants NOT engage in *private chat* with the host as it would not be fair to the rest of the participants and the host would be very busy anyway. If you *must* send a PM to the Host, please be brief and do not expect "conversation"

All "Start Times" should be posted in the Time Zone of the Host (The host **really** needs to be there on time... :) ). If you wish, post other time zones as well.

I would propose that efforts be made to take into consideration our overseas members, when scheduling.

===========
see? short, simple and mostly common sense :)

doxiedog315

Reaction score
Clustering ? How about Sat .morning@10am? How many e-mails can a person respond to in 30 min?

jetra2

Reaction score
Hmm...very good post Jim. Lots to think about there.

Start times, based on experience in the chat, seems to be in the later evening hours and on the weekends. I would say Friday-Sunday, starting around 9pm.

Topics, there are a lot of them! For Fliskits...maybe some future plans, peeks into the behind-the-scenes operation, stuff like that. I would be willing to host a Tour de Deuce chat, and I am pretty sure Eugene wouldn't mind either. Maybe an interview instead of an actual 'chat'.

I agree with the no-private chatting guideline. All those windows open and chats going on would overload my little pea brain :D, not to mention the old guys' even smaller pea brains! :D :D :D

It seems that many of our members are on EST or CST, so I think a EST start time would be good. To entertain our foreign members, I think it would be possible that we could host an afternoon chat at some point. Our west coast members would be able to participate, and some of the foreign members might have to stay up later than normal, but it's definately possible!

Durations...hmm. That might have to be decided at the beginning of the chat, depending on how many are participating. Maybe we could start off with a single question to the host(s) from each participant, then as time allots, we allow each member to ask another question. We should allow time for the participants to comment on each question and answer, but the host would need to keep it from going out of control, say, a time limit for comments would be in order.

I think that's about it...

Just my 2 cents...no...3...nah....5....oh heck! Just give the man a quarter! :D

HTH,
Jason

flying_silverad

Reaction score
I have been thinking about ths since the original thread. I think you are on the right track Jim.
As far as duration, I would make it for an hour. If it looks like it is starting to fizzle out, well end it early. Then adjust for the next show etc.
My only concern is the Host. Not you, but how do you control all of the inputs from folks. If you had someone who was interviewing you for a given amount of time (say 15-30 min) then opened up the floor for questions wouldn't that give you a little more control? Maybe have some sort of a survey as to what to talk about which would in turn drive the questions the interviewer asks (There by answering a lot of the same questions). That way you don't get 25 people who all ask you at once, "Hey Jim, how about that new 12 engine deuce?"

And, IMHO if you say the show was going to be at a given time, I think people would make time. You know everyone's schedule is diff, I like weekends...some people like weeknights. It's a crap shoot no matter what but if I know far enough in advance, I would make the effort no matter when.(Sorry, it's late so I might not be making sense)

Subjects-
Who are you?
Why Fliskits, how did you start?
Where do you see Fliskits in 2,5,10 years..etc?
Some background on you.
What else do you do (besides carving some of the coolest pumpkins):D
Where do you see Sport Rocketry 10 years from now?
If you were King for a day, how would you fix the this whole regulation thing.
What's you're favorite part of your biz?

Go get em!

cydermaster

Reaction score
Originally posted by jflis I would also like to hear from our members overseas. If the desired start time prohibits your participating, I would like to set something up just for you folks. I can be online at any time, given enough notice and I don't want you guys to feel left out.[/B]
[my 2 pence]
GMT is 5 hrs ahead of EST, so 11pm (the lastest I'd be able to reasonably start a chat session, and still make some sense) is 6pm EST. Therefore evening chats (your time), are rather out of the picture. However a chat session during the day (your time), on a weekend, would be superb!

This is an excellent idea, Jim, and I hope it catches on. The level of customeer feedback the manufactures will get from these sessions will be terrific. Wonder if theres any chance of getting somebody in from Quest or Estes to host a chat sometime.

arthur dent

Reaction score
This sounds like a great idea.Being able to chat to the people who are designing the kits is one of the strongest points of the forum.:)

SwingWing

Reaction score
Well, where are we at with the Fireside Chat? I think it is a very good idea. Maybe we (you, Jim) should just pick a time and topic, and see who shows up. I would like to see a 9:00ish or 10:00ish P.M. CST time, but I would make an effort to peek in if it were any other time too.
Anybody got a clock and a dart?

jflis

Reaction score
MAN, i'm glad you brought this up again.

Been so busy I forget to eat let alone remember *stuff*... :)

Here's what I would like to do:

I know it's short notice, but I figure THIS saturday (17-Jan-2004) would work great (i meant to do this at the beginning of the week... )

I would like to shoot for a 4:00 p.m. Eastern Time start with an estimated hour length with the option to go over if needed. If this is well received and we discover that many of our central and west coast members couldn't attend, I would entertain repeating it at 10:00 pm the same day.

For this first chat I would like to conduct a TWO-way forum cuz I have a couple of questions for the attendies as well and would love the feedback.

As far as the topic for the chat, I am still open to suggestions in this area and will make a decision tomorrow evening.

I think a good start for this first chat would be an "open forum" with a focus on introductions, the company, business and perhaps future product directions (nothing all that specific... :) )

thoughts?
jim

Stymye

Reaction score
Jim,
I would like to pick up some advice on how you come up with ideas/designs ,,that is something I wish I had a better grasp of

I'm sure some people have a natural knack for it
(obviously you do) Unfortunately I don't..I hope you can touch on that subject a little bit during the discussions.

eugenefl

Reaction score
Originally posted by jflis
I would like to shoot for a 4:00 p.m. Eastern Time start with an estimated hour length with the option to go over if needed. If this is well received and we discover that many of our central and west coast members couldn't attend, I would entertain repeating it at 10:00 pm the same day.
jim
Hmm...I may be able to make it. Between doing some flying in the morning and preparing for my brother's bachelor party, I just *might* be able to show. ;)

Here's a good one - "How many more Deuces need to be sold before motor production is a reality? :D "

...or for a perspective on a US mission to Mars, "If you were able to exit the capsule first what would be your first words upon setting foot on Mars?"

KermieD

Reaction score
Having been involved in a number of "unmoderated" (i.e. the "moderator" of the chat has no real tools to filter what goes into the chatroom), this is going to require some very serious restraint on the part of the attendees or it will be utter chaos. This could be the start of something really neat or it could be pandemonium, but it's going to take a lot of work on the part of the attendees to make it something vendors will want to do. Who knows? Maybe we can even snooker Joe Burger into doing it if everything works out! :D

My suggestion would be to allow Jim to start off with a few posts on where he would like the chat to go generally. After that, allow questions to be asked in the order that the names appear in the list. If you need clarification of an earlier answer to a question, wait your turn and ask that as your question.

NOTE: This is one of the friendliest groups of people I've ever run across on the 'net, so I need to add this: If you show up late, do NOT say hi to everyone. Sit still, see how it's going, note your place in the queue and ask your question then.

In short, pretend you're a kid at Thanksgiving and it's your first year at the adult table. Only speak when it's your turn. :)

eugenefl

Reaction score
Originally posted by KermieD
After that, allow questions to be asked in the order that the names appear in the list. If you need clarification of an earlier answer to a question, wait your turn and ask that as your question.

In short, pretend you're a kid at Thanksgiving and it's your first year at the adult table. Only speak when it's your turn. :)
Isn't there a way where the questions go to a moderator first, then they are posted once the invited host has answered the question? I know I've heard of public chat sessions with celebrities where this has happened. This way, questions are filtered and posted only when the host is ready.

I'm certain behavior won't be a problem here. I just think there will be a lot of questions for Jim and very little time.

Also, I think some kind of "sticky" or Forum wide announcement should be made. This way more people that aren't normally involved in this particular section of TRF are aware.

SwingWing

Reaction score
After that, allow questions to be asked in the order that the names appear in the list. If you need clarification of an earlier answer to a question, wait your turn and ask that as your question.
IIRC the names are in alphabetic order, not order of chat entry?

NOTE: This is one of the friendliest groups of people I've ever run across on the 'net, so I need to add this: If you show up late, do NOT say hi to everyone. Sit still, see how it's going, note your place in the queue and ask your question then.
I agree that these folks are friendly, and i'm sure this will work out with this group!:):)

In short, pretend you're a kid at Thanksgiving and it's your first year at the adult table. :)
Oh, rats, I get left with the wing again!:mad: :)

jflis

Reaction score
Kermie, I hadn't thought it out that deeply, but you are right and that is the best approach.

Eugenio, My experience with such celebrity chats is that they are done with tools *designed* for moderated chats. I doubt that our chat tool has such features.

Also, this would require a closer coordination between the host and the moderator. As I originally proposed, I think we could attempt this with the host moderating it (if they are comfortable doing that) or have a separate moderator who communicates with the host well ahead of time so that they know what should and shouldn't happen.

For the most part, the biggest concerns would be:
Stay on topic
wait your turn to ask a question
Don't enter into private discussion with the host

Now, if we were doing this in any other forum group or *unnamed* news group, i'd be singing a different song, but we're pretty good here in TRF.

I will try to have an opening/introduction and then start fielding questions. Getting a sense of what folks are interested in ahead of time helps me prepare.

thanx!

jflis

Reaction score
Originally posted by SwingWing
IIRC the names are in alphabetic order, not order of chat entry?

now, let's not have a mad rush to change our usernames... LOL

KermieD

Reaction score
If you have a host separate from your "guest of honor", it becomes easier. All questions go to the host in private chat to keep the room from cluttering. The host then selects from the questions received and posts the most interesting/next in line/whatever question and posts it in the room along with the person who asked it (i.e. "Eugene asks: Why oh why did I get myself hip deep in this TDD thing?").

It still requires some self discipline on the part of the attendees and you need a host who can type like a demon. I'd volunteer myself, but I have kids and run the risk of being distracted from time to time.

Also, Jim, you may want to start up a little .txt file of phrases to copy and paste into the chatroom that you think you might need, particularly something about the chat rules of the day so you can just slap it in there if things start to get cluttered.

jflis

Reaction score
good idea about having a list of rules as a reminder, to paste in.

Not too concerned about typing. I've got a run-rate of about 110 words/min so... :D

I like the idea of a host fielding questions but I think we'll try without this time. I like the idea of going from person to person, in the order they appear.

In that case, after fielding a question, I would/could prompt the next person in line. Assuming that the names are listed alphabetically, you may loose your place in line should someone enter with a lower alpha, but that shouldn't be a problem, everyone would get a chance.

If that person chooses to asks a silly or irrelevant question, that's their choice on how to use thier turn :)

If nothing else, it would allow me to provide feedback afterwards as to whether or not that worked or if I was a fool to even try it LOL

wyldbill

Reaction score
I've just skimmed this, so apologies if this has been mentioned.

It'd be nice to capture this, (and perhaps edit it a bit) for posterity and those who cant make the live chat. I'd think you could use for the site, Jim.

FWIW,
-bill

cydermaster

Reaction score
Originally posted by jflis
I know it's short notice, but I figure THIS saturday (17-Jan-2004) would work great (i meant to do this at the beginning of the week... )

I would like to shoot for a 4:00 p.m. Eastern Time start
9:00 pm. GMT/UTC/Zulu.

I'm there.

I'm glad this has got of the ground, and I hope its a success.

:D

Rocketmaniac

Reaction score
Originally posted by wyldbill
It'd be nice to capture this, (and perhaps edit it a bit) for posterity and those who cant make the live chat. I'd think you could use for the site, Jim.
I think this would be great idea (if it is possible)....... 4:00pm EDT is the start of my shift at work, so I will not be able to make it:(

jflis

Reaction score
is there a way to save the contents of a chat window??

I'm not that familiar with this chat tool (though I used to use it at work), but I beleive that there is (though it may be a moderator or admin level command)

jetra2

Reaction score
Originally posted by KermieD
(i.e. "Eugene asks: Why oh why did I get myself hip deep in this TDD thing?").
HIP DEEP?! HIP DEEP??! Ok, maybe HE'S hip deep...but I sure am neck deep in it, no doubt about it! ;) :D

You WILL NOT find me complaining though! I LOVE IT! :D :D

Jason

jetra2

Reaction score
To any moderator with chat room "admin" privileges:

The topic for the chat room for quite some time has been at a default, "What Christmas rocket do you build first?"

Can we get this changed before the chat today?

Thanks,
Jason

cydermaster

Reaction score
A couple of us are in the room - where is everybody else?

Come on in & join the fun! ;)

jetra2

Reaction score
Hey JIM!

As I write this, it's 4:40 EST!

There is nobody with the SN "jflis" in said chat room.

There ARE people with different SN's in said chat.

BUT STILL NO jflis!!

:mad:

Since I have to go to get ready for church now, let's try to go for a repeat tonight at 10:00pm EST!

Thanks,
Jason

jflis

Reaction score
folks, i just got in (4:45) after breaking down on the highway. chat will start at 4:50

jim

cydermaster

Reaction score
Thanks Jim. I enjoyed that.

Its 23:55 GMT, I'm a little worse for wear beer-wise, and I'm off to bed now.

Thanks everybody, and I'm looking forward to the next one.

SwingWing

Reaction score
Well? How'd it go? I am sorry I missed the first fireside chat. hope it went well.
Sorry to hear about your breaking down, Jim.

jflis

Reaction score
well i thought it went very well :)

I will certainly host another one and invite other vendors to do likewise. It's a great way for the vendors to find out *real time* what their customer base is thinking and wanting from their vendors.

I was upset about being so late, but we went on for 2 hours anyway, and it went in a flash!

Biggest problem is, I couldn't figure out any way to save it... I am hoping to *re-cap* it later tonight if I have the time.

all in all, a good outing.

thanx everyone!
jim