Mantis Launch Pad Availability?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klatuso

Reaction score
I want to upgrade from my Estes PSII launch base, but cannot find this Aerotech Mantis launch pad available anywhere. Anyone know where I might find this?

96d4ab3f4ec3b72b4894f0ff3b2c520e.image.300x283.jpg

I have not seen these for sale in some time. The Mantis was a neat design but not very durable. Most people had something break on it, myself included. A homemade PVC pad handles all my MPR rockets.

I have not seen these for sale in some time. The Mantis was a neat design but not very durable. Most people had something break on it, myself included. A homemade PVC pad handles all my MPR rockets.

I don't launch paticularly heavy rockets or any motors over E or F size. I think I would be OK with it. And I like the look. Oh! Vanity!

Apogee will probably get them back in stock. It does have a cool. look. As a precaution if you get one use some sand bags on the legs to keep it from blowing over if it happens to be a little windy.

I wouldn't buy one. As previously stated they are prone to breaking. A buddy of mine had his break while launching a G motor (I think it was a G, it was a long time ago). Looks great, but made of plastic and it seemed flimsy to me.

I will take your comments to heart. I had someone PM me with old new stock and am awaiting a quote for the price. I will take your comments into consideration. Maybe Aerotech took it out of production because of the very issues raised.

I have a mantis. It is generally known at the launch sites that I fly from that you should not launch a certain sized rocket, with a certain sized motor, under certain weather conditions from any launch rod, regardless of the pad. Obviously that is somewhat subjective but I would say that the Mantis is fine for the vast majority of low power and a lot of mid-power rockets.

For example I have launched my AeroTech Arreaux on medium Gs from the Mantis on calm days but I would not launch it on and E or F on a windy day. The 1/4" rod and it's susceptibility to rod whip is the problem not the pad and that would be the same problem for all pads in that scenario.

On the topic of flimsy or durability, for the most part the vulnerable points on the pad are also the unique features of the pad that you don't get on other pads, such as the dialed in tilt. Where that clips into the pad is a weak point. I have yet to break mine but I am also not rough with it either.

Overall I would say it's a decent pad but not quite worth the price tag. But if you can pick one up at a deal then I would say go for it, just be aware of it's limitations.

I have a mantis. It is generally known at the launch sites that I fly from that you should not launch a certain sized rocket, with a certain sized motor, under certain weather conditions from any launch rod, regardless of the pad. Obviously that is somewhat subjective but I would say that the Mantis is fine for the vast majority of low power and a lot of mid-power rockets.

For example I have launched my AeroTech Arreaux on medium Gs from the Mantis on calm days but I would not launch it on and E or F on a windy day. The 1/4" rod and it's susceptibility to rod whip is the problem not the pad and that would be the same problem for all pads in that scenario.

On the topic of flimsy or durability, for the most part the vulnerable points on the pad are also the unique features of the pad that you don't get on other pads, such as the dialed in tilt. Where that clips into the pad is a weak point. I have yet to break mine but I am also not rough with it either.

Overall I would say it's a decent pad but not quite worth the price tag. But if you can pick one up at a deal then I would say go for it, just be aware of it's limitations.

Does it have a 1/4 inch rod? That is the size I like to launch my D sized rockets. I only have one MPR, a 3FNC from Pemberton. Also, I understand it can take the smaller launch rods also?

Does it have a 1/4 inch rod? That is the size I like to launch my D sized rockets. I only have one MPR, a 3FNC from Pemberton. Also, I understand it can take the smaller launch rods also?

Yes it comes with an aluminum two piece 1/4 inch rod that screws together. It is actually a nice rod. It also accepts 3/16 and 1/8 rods. I purchased some stiffer tight-tolerance highly corrosion-resistant 316 Stainless Steel rods from McMaster Carr.

Bellgate on the forums sells as Bellvue Hobbies on ebay is sending me one. I'll let you know my thoughts on it.

I always thought that pad looked top heavy and flimsy...something I personally never ever considered buying. A good PVC pad can be made pretty cheaply and with a much lower C/G. You could potentially buy a lot of rocketry gear for the price of one of those flimsy looking Mantis pads. Just my opinion.

I thought about getting one of those, but I was put off by the price; the least expensive I could find online was $106, and our local hobby shop has the Aerotech Initiator midpower starter set with the Initiator rocket, Mantis pad, and Interlock launch controller for $200, which actually isn't bad, but I don't want the rocket. I decided to build my own launch controller, and I'm going to use a Harbor Freight Tools welding table with a tilting table as the base for the pad, replacing the nuts holding the legs with wingnuts to allow the legs to fold for transit. Now that I'm over 60, having the elevated pad will make it easier to wire up the igniters, and the tilting table will allow me to adjust windage the way the Mantis pad can. The best part is, there's always a 20% off Harbor Freight coupon to use. :)

I have one that a friend gave to me. Can send photos. We could make a sweet deal for you if interested. Have no idea what shipping will be--guessing about $12.

I already acquired one from a member here. I like it, especially the ability to quickly swap out different sized rods. The blast plate is a bit small and some of the structure got scorched. Last time I used it I wrapped a bit of aluminum foil around the scorched parts and it was fine.

Apogee has a metal nut one can connect to a photographic tripod to hold a blast plate and a launch rod. Can drill it a bit and hold a 1/4" rod. The Mantis is cheap plastic and the blast deflector can burn through easily.
The tripod I can put up to any height so I don't have to bend down so low to load and can easily position the rod angle. I use a large enough blast plate it's still usable with cameras! The Mantis is too many plastic parts that
break too easily. Kurt

Apogee has a metal nut one can connect to a photographic tripod to hold a blast plate and a launch rod. Can drill it a bit and hold a 1/4" rod. The Mantis is cheap plastic and the blast deflector can burn through easily.
The tripod I can put up to any height so I don't have to bend down so low to load and can easily position the rod angle. I use a large enough blast plate it's still usable with cameras! The Mantis is too many plastic parts that
break too easily. Kurt

I have it! It's called the Odd'l Rockets Adeptor (not a typo). I guess because it's an adept adaptor. Had an old camera tripod collecting dust in a closet, a remnant of my photography hobby days. Now I have a launch pad for $12. Combined it with the Odd'l Blast! deflector to reduce exhaust gas bounce back from the non angled Estes and Quest deflectors. You can tilt, swivel, and adjust height. Need to heed caveats re: tilt angle (no more than 30 deg. per NAR code), and tripod height ( higher pad means higher CG, prone to tipping over in windy conditions). Sirius also has it:

https://www.siriusrocketry.biz/ishop/oddl-rockets-adeptor-camera-tripod-adapter-1045.html

And a pic:

IMG_20180429_070806.jpg

14EBFC9A-C03B-4DAC-AE5A-59BDA34ECF66.jpeg I have a new Initiator Advanced Model Systems Package in a sealed box. Included is a Initiator Rocket, a Mantis Launch Pad, and an Interlock Launch Controller. I’ll take $175 shipped to your location. PM me if you are interested.

To help with stability on the Mantis pad, fill the aluminum legs with BB's. I would try maybe 1/4 or half full and some epoxy to hold them at the end. I filled mine full and it was too much weight and broke out the center mount where they snap in. Then I got a Quad Pod by Impulse Aerospace...

Back